New York Times: Permanent Bugs in Evernote

APenNameAndThatA

Idea

The New York Times had a piece quoting Evernote people as saying that there are bugs with Evernote that are so embedded that they can never be removed. That tallies nicely with my experience of having information disappear out of the blue... and to get backup, you need the paid version (which, thankfully, I have). That, surely is a record tech billionaire double joke... need to pay to overcome the permanent bugs. Have a nice day.  

13 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

and to get backup, you need the paid version

Evernote has a Note History backup, and yes access is a paid feature
I have personal backups, an option for both free and paid acounts

>>there are bugs with Evernote that are so embedded that they can never be removed. 

I have encountered bugs in the apps; nothing serious enough for me to switch products.  
My experience is the bugs get fixed over time.

For anyone interested, there's a discussion on a NY Evernote article at

• Level 5
19 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

The New York Times had a piece quoting Evernote people as saying that there are bugs with Evernote that are so embedded that they can never be removed. That tallies nicely with my experience of having information disappear out of the blue... and to get backup, you need the paid version (which, thankfully, I have). That, surely is a record tech billionaire double joke... need to pay to overcome the permanent bugs. Have a nice day.  

Can you provide a link to this piece? The one that @jefito linked to contains a statement that Evernote's "products had developed a 'unique collection of bugs and undesirable behaviors.'" That is a reference to this blog post by Ian Small, in which what he actually wrote was that "... each version of Evernote seems to work slightly differently, and exhibits its own unique collection of bugs and undesirable behaviors," and "... undoubtedly we will still disappoint some of you—whether it’s because you don’t like the way we choose to fix something, or we don’t prioritize a particular bug that drives you around the bend...." I don't see anything about bugs that can never be fixed, so I would like to have that NYT link, particularly if it refers to information disappearing due to those bugs. Thanks.

• Level 5

1) There is no software free of bugs, and if one thinks „now it is done“, they have just not been uncovered.

If one does not believe this, he should occupy himself with the works of Gödel and Turing, just to name a few.

2) Here in the forum, there is a number of people who behave as if enjoying bugs - like „I always said that these punks will not do anything right ...“.

From my experience, the guys at EN show a very open mind towards getting info about problems, and try to help fixing things or get the bugs solved, if the problem results out of one of them. However, the basic software (Win, MacOS, iOS Android and the pack of Web Browsers) permanently change, creating a source of new bugs out of their own development.

3) What convinces me to stay with EN every day is the very solid core function: Create notes from a wealth of sources, incorporate them into the database, make them searchable and find them when needed. All this seamlessly synced about a number of devices.

Who says he has lost information that was once saved (!) into his own EN database has to prove this - or I will not believe it really got lost. My experience is that EN is not loosing anything it once saved into his ever expanding memory.

• Level 5*
On 7/1/2019 at 9:19 PM, APenNameAndThatA said:

The New York Times had a piece quoting Evernote people as saying that there are bugs with Evernote that are so embedded that they can never be removed.

I read the article online, and the print version as well. I am somehow unable to find anywhere in either version where Evernote claims to "have bugs that are so embedded that they can never be removed". Any clues? In which version, and what paragraph can this quote be found?

Read the article. The boss published a blog post in January saying that there were bugs and undesirable behaviours and that it was going to take most of the year to get if fixed. The article says that he still has not recruited the people needed to fix the bugs. And that happened after big lot of layoffs. And it is struggling to employ the talent, the article suggests. And the year is half over. The article ends by saying that people are "rooting for Evernote to pull it off". 

Not that anyone on this forum would admit that there were bugs. 

Evernote has been around for over ten years. And this is supposed to be the year that the bugs get removed? Actually this is the year that more bugs were added, if you read your own support forums. 

The bottom line is that a program that is designed to capture information, and that has bugs, is not fit for purpose. Thanks for reminding me. I am, right now, going to attempt to cancel my subscription so I can stop giving these duplicitous tech billionaires my money. And, those of you on this forum who donate your time to tech billionaires, for a perpetually-broken product, why?  

• Like 1
On 7/3/2019 at 6:48 AM, PinkElephant said:

1) There is no software free of bugs, and if one thinks „now it is done“, they have just not been uncovered.

If one does not believe this, he should occupy himself with the works of Gödel and Turing, just to name a few.

2) Here in the forum, there is a number of people who behave as if enjoying bugs - like „I always said that these punks will not do anything right ...“.

From my experience, the guys at EN show a very open mind towards getting info about problems, and try to help fixing things or get the bugs solved, if the problem results out of one of them. However, the basic software (Win, MacOS, iOS Android and the pack of Web Browsers) permanently change, creating a source of new bugs out of their own development.

3) What convinces me to stay with EN every day is the very solid core function: Create notes from a wealth of sources, incorporate them into the database, make them searchable and find them when needed. All this seamlessly synced about a number of devices.

Who says he has lost information that was once saved (!) into his own EN database has to prove this - or I will not believe it really got lost. My experience is that EN is not loosing anything it once saved into his ever expanding memory.

Evernote is very open minded about bugs. But you will not believe that EN loses data without me proving it. Which, of course, I can't. Welldone, you. 

As for no software being free of bugs, I experience Dropbox as being free of bugs. Am I going to occupy myself with the works of Godel and Turing? Well, I guess I'm going to be badarse and not do that. I saved them to Dropbox but can't find them. 

• Like 1
On 7/2/2019 at 9:32 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Can you provide a link to this piece? The one that @jefito linked to contains a statement that Evernote's "products had developed a 'unique collection of bugs and undesirable behaviors.'" That is a reference to this blog post by Ian Small, in which what he actually wrote was that "... each version of Evernote seems to work slightly differently, and exhibits its own unique collection of bugs and undesirable behaviors," and "... undoubtedly we will still disappoint some of you—whether it’s because you don’t like the way we choose to fix something, or we don’t prioritize a particular bug that drives you around the bend...." I don't see anything about bugs that can never be fixed, so I would like to have that NYT link, particularly if it refers to information disappearing due to those bugs. Thanks.

https://nyti.ms/2FDPRoh

Here is the link that you asked for. Hope it lasts for a while.

For my part, I tried OneNote for about 9 months and it was more riddled with bugs than Evernote, by a long way. I have used Evernote for about 7 years now and still think that it is great.

Yes, half the year is over and who in her/his mind would want to work for a company that cannot make up its mind what the only product in the portfolio is really meant for.

Is is digital asset management for long-term storage or just another notetaking app or indeed the early garage release of an all-purpose tool which in 10 years or so of its existence has not gone far enough to inspire much hope with normal users.   Evernote failed to meet business requirements.  The stupid arrogance from the character who got kicked out by Google certainly made sure of that.

I lost a few notes in my Elephant empire. Proof was deletion in the syncronised backup on Dropbox. Dropbox sent to waste bin. That's how I became aware of and after much complaining decided to become another  non-paying user.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Will make it easier for you:

• Gödel (Austrian) proved that no system of logic can be without inconsistency. The reason for that is that is necessarily based on axioms, that are assumptions that can not be proven or falsified.
  • Turing (British) proved that no (computer) program that fulfills some basic conditions (which all modern software fulfills) can predict if, when initiated, it will stop one day. If it is not even able to predict whether it will reach its own stop condition, it can not predict to be free of bugs.

Conclusion: There is no software free of internal inconsistencies, and there is no way to create software that will find all (!) bugs. So there is no SW free of bugs, it just may be that they were not uncovered yet.

So far with mansplaining. I think were we all agree that known bugs should be eliminated, and that some of us even pay money to finance for this, among other things.

Have a good day !

• Like 1
  • Level 5
8 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

Read the article. The boss published a blog post in January saying that there were bugs and undesirable behaviours and that it was going to take most of the year to get if fixed. The article says that he still has not recruited the people needed to fix the bugs. And that happened after big lot of layoffs. And it is struggling to employ the talent, the article suggests. And the year is half over. The article ends by saying that people are "rooting for Evernote to pull it off". 

Evernote has been around for over ten years. And this is supposed to be the year that the bugs get removed? Actually this is the year that more bugs were added, if you read your own support forums. 

The bottom line is that a program that is designed to capture information, and that has bugs, is not fit for purpose. Thanks for reminding me. I am, right now, going to attempt to cancel my subscription so I can stop giving these duplicitous tech billionaires my money. And, those of you on this forum who donate your time to tech billionaires, for a perpetually-broken product, why?  

1. We all read the article, but only you interpreted it to mean that "The New York Times had a piece quoting Evernote people as saying that there are bugs with Evernote that are so embedded that they can never be removed." You and you alone think that it said that. Why should your interpretation take precedence over everyone else's?
  2. Everyone on this forum admits there are bugs. That's why (to your last point) we donate our time here. But OK, sarcasm dispenses you and me both from telling the truth (note the recursion).
  3. What @PinkElephant said. How come Windows, Word, Firefox, Google Maps, and every other long-existing software keeps issuing updates? Bugs happen, especially in such complex creations. Their removal is a constant process. Of course, if only software makers were as infallible as their users....
  4. Since every program has bugs, therefore no program (by your criteria) is fit for its purpose. But of course, with your unique insight, you may well find the perfect note-taking software for all of our purposes. Please do come back and report when you do.
  5. Those of us here who spend our time for free trying to help our fellow users rather than just troll-troll-trolling do so because we hope to make an imperfect experience better. Building community, helpfulness, compassion, sharing ... fun stuff.
  6. Man, I hate myself when I troll the trolls.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

Blahblahblah. Just as I figured, they never really said that they "have bugs that are so embedded that they can never be removed", which is what you've been parading around the forums claiming. You either misunderstood what he said, or you made up the bit about "can never be removed" for some reason known only to you (maybe). Please stop.

Um, really? We report bugs all the time. Can't understand how an eagle-eyed observer like you could miss that. 

Did you actually read the article? There are no tech billionaires at Evernote. As for the rest, if I found that a program I was paying for was not fit for my purposes, I'd just stop paying for it and walk away. As it is, Evernote suits my purposes quite well, is generally stable and reliable, so I'm happy to pay for it, and yes, try to help other users solve problems with Evernote, and again, report bugs when I find them.

Anyways, good luck with, uh, whatever. Putting you back into my "ignore" cave. Toodles...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was just getting a bit disappointed/frustrated by some very obvious functionality holes (i.e., copy a bulleted list from Word into Evernote and lose the sub-bullet formatting, Windows, 6.19.2.8555 (308555) Public (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)).

However, after reading the blog from from Ian Small in January, I'm going to stick with it. I don't know if he can pull it off, but the humility and authenticity was refreshing and inspiring. I'm rooting for you Evernote!!

Cheers,

-billb

• Like 2