Create a note in new window

RicBret

Idea

I've been using Evernote for years, and I'm still amazed that there is no way to quickly create a new note in a separate window.

No, the drop-down create note doesn't count, because if you want to move it around the screen you have to open the full Evernote window (easiest way is to use "Find" keystroke, which is ridiculous as I use "Find" more to open the main window to do something useful than I actually try to "Find" anything.

There should be a keystroke to bring up a simple empty note window. Alternatively there should be a "New Note in New Window" command in the Evernote menu bar menu.

Really, it's embarrassing you haven't done this before.  Are you still developing this product, or are you just waiting for someone to provide me with a better app?

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

You didn't identify your device/platform.  
I have no problem opening a New Note on my Mac; shortcut Ctrl ⌥ ⌘ N

There is a project developing improvements that include the New Note button; see video here

I haven't recalled a new window being requested by anyone, but we'll see how much user support your request receives.

• Level 5*

Windows? Mac?

On Windows, you can use Tools / Options / Note / "Create new note in a new window" to cause Ctrl+N and File / New Note / New Note to open a new note in a separate window. Also, I believe that the Create New Note shortcut key (see Tools / Options / Shortcut keys) will create a new note in a separate window by default (mine is set to Ctrl+Alt+N). Beyond that, the Evernote.exe can be run with a parameter of "/newnote", and that appears to create a new note in a separate window, as does the Evernote command line scripting program ENScript.exe if you give it a a command name of "createnote" and figure out a way to give it empty keyboard input (I think I did once, but can't remember the details). For the last two, see http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enscript.php.

19 minutes ago, RicBret said:

Really, it's embarrassing you haven't done this before.  Are you still developing this product, or are you just waiting for someone to provide me with a better app?

No need for you to be embarrassed. Lots of people make feature requests. Of course, most people asking for things do try to be a little less sarcastic about it. You catch flies with honey, not vinegar, or so I'm told...