search tag then filter by Notebook - only show relevant notebooks?

lisec

Idea

I select "All Notes" then in the search bar I search for:  tag:somethingorother

I get the list of results. Now I want to filter by Notebook.  Seems to me that in previous versions (I could be wrong about this) when I clicked on the "All notes" button drop-down above the search box it would list only the relevant Notebooks - but now it just displays the entire list of Notebooks. I know I can sort by notebook but that isn't what I want. 

Is there a setting somewhere to filter by relevant notebook the way one can search then hit the tag button and display only the relevant tags?

94650132_20190623_123355EvernoteNotebooksNotFilteredfortagsearch.png.6630e9905f0564d30930879896e78ef0.png

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5

MacOS ?

No, it seems it works as you describe it. You get a list of notes with the tag, but no overview of notebooks. The "tag search" by clicking on the symbol is pretty barebone anyhow.

From my perspective, this would rather be a case to use some search syntax, and save these searches for later adaption.

PinkElephant

Windows. 

Well ideally I would be able to include -notebook:archive in a search. Or to the very least the list of notebooks would include the number of relevant results, ie NotebookA (3), NotebookB (0), NotebookC (14), then at least I could see which notebooks contain the results. Tags don't filter the number of relevant notes either (they include a number, but it is the total number of notes with that tag, not just the relevant ones). But at least it is possible to display only those tags that are relevant to the search results.

Maybe I never noticed the notebook issue before because I only ever had about 6 notebooks (I would only have 3 but you notebooks are the only thing you can share, so I have to have 3 extra ones). But a few months ago I added a few more and now I know I'll go back to minimal notebooks and use tags instead, the way I always did.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, lisec said:

Is there a setting somewhere to filter by relevant notebook the way one can search then hit the tag button and display only the relevant tags?

Don't think so.  Shift+Alt+T search tags is the only thing I've seen that winnows relevantly, but that is for tags.  Would seem logical to display notes by notebook for the search dropdown. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

It looks like choosing from the Notebook selection droplist at the top of the search area retains previous search filters, including tags, keywords, etc. (obviously notebook choice is replaced). That list is not filtered by notebooks that have the tag, though.

In addition, the search information (View ./ Search Information) may show that other notebooks have matches for the same search, and allow you to chose from a droplist; I only saw this when using a tag plus keyword filter, though. It would be nice if this worked with just tags.

• Like 1

Right, that's where I saw it!  You have to do a search and get that note under the search that says "Found notes with search terms in SEVERAL notebooks". When I click several I get the filtered list.  I knew I saw it somewhere.  Not sure why that same option can't be displayed when we search using tags. Maybe it used to be there and they accidentally removed it? 

(Now I really want to see which note has both chicken and pork in my Personal folder! - which, as it turns out, is an example of why I want that functionality)

image.png.b1b1a424835bdab2c7fdeda3c96bfd3c.png

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, lisec said:

(Now I really want to see which note has both chicken and pork in my Personal folder! - which, as it turns out, is an example of why I want that functionality)

Adobo?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, lisec said:

Not sure why that same option can't be displayed when we search using tags. Maybe it used to be there and they accidentally removed it? 

Agree that it seems contradictory snd/or unclear why that's there sometimes. We can turn this into a feature request if you want.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, jefito said:

Agree that it seems contradictory snd/or unclear why that's there sometimes. We can turn this into a feature request if you want.

Probably should, although it seems like a rather unimportant one in comparison to other requests.

• Level 5*
26 minutes ago, lisec said:

Probably should, although it seems like a rather unimportant one in comparison to other requests.

Even so, all bugs/requests should be logged. It's possible they've picked up on it already, but moving it to a voting forum might turn up more interest in fixing this little corner of Evernote. I'll move it on over.

You seem to have a great deal of expertise in Evernote. So, you probably feel comfortable with syntaxis system but I find it very unfriendly. I just submitted a suggestion to implement a Search Menu that would allow to more easily select/deselect notebooks and tags in searches in line with what lisec has suggested. The syntax process is cumbersome to me and prone to mistakes. I think being able to save a query and then play with menus of notebooks/tags would be great.