upnix

Memory use in Brave on Linux

I've been using the new Evernote beta web client in Brave on Linux lately. I'll leave two windows open throughout the day. At seemingly random times my system will become unresponsive and after 30 seconds or so Brave will be killed and my system starts running normally again.

My 'dmesg' output has:

[72616.778671] Out of memory: Kill process 47516 (brave) score 318 or sacrifice child
[72616.778757] Killed process 47516 (brave) total-vm:784704kB, anon-rss:163084kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:2840kB
[72616.809596] oom_reaper: reaped process 47516 (brave), now anon-rss:0kB, file-rss:0kB, shmem-rss:2720kB

I'm reasonably sure this is related to the new Evernote web client, as in the past I've left Brave open for a day or more without issue. I've watched the Brave process closely and the memory use stay fairly constant, so whatever happens must be sudden. Memory use of my system is usually 5GiB/7.8GiB or less.

So, putting this out there in case others have experienced this, or if someone can give me tips on how I can track this down better. 

Thanks!

Hi.  I'm also using Brave on Linux,  but not having the same experience.  There are now three versions of the web client - Classic / Current / Beta all with different feature sets - change between them in Evernote Settings.  I'm using Classic for the moment - try changing your version!

Yeah, this is with the beta only. You don't experience this issue with the beta version and Brave? Or is it just with Brave and the current client that it works fine for you?

I'm back to "current" which doesn't have any issues (aside from not being as nice to use). I was hoping as the beta client was beta that there might be a chance of helping to find an issue. I guess I'll just check in on it from time to time.

I've also noticed that when sitting idle Brave and the beta client will use a solid 5% of my CPU, while the current client will use none.

🤷‍♂️

Hmmn.  This being Sunday I decided to play around a little - that and the fact Evernote popped a "try the NEW Evernote web!!!" window at me when I went back in.  Amusingly that window took me to the 'current' version,  not the beta.  So I went into the settings and opted for the Beta.

About 5 minutes later I got a page - the green bar struggled across the screen with a very low-level download going on in the background

1334687952_ScreenClip2.thumb.png.d5704a25d6c1011f15ecd2c7d9097df0.png

ScreenClip.png.2d4997313d816b2fb43066963da842bc.png

And in the Beta,  every time I go to a new note I get a 'waiting for Evernote.com' in the browser,  and my CPU use jumps to 30-50% for a short while.

I would post you a screen grab of Task Manager,  but now my installed Evernote 6.19.2 just crashed...  so no more screen grabs.  Confirmed that the new beta seems... eccentric when it comes to CPU use.  I'm going back to Classic I think!

(Actually I have some offline stuff to do now,  so I'll leave Brave and the Beta going to see what happens after a while...)

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

I'm going back to Classic I think!

Classic hasn't been updated in a while.  Current works well for me, quick and not so much of the wide open spaces of the beta.  Classic was best though, had side list view <he sighs>.  If I have the EN lexicon down...

OK - just as a postscript on the above - 

This is my Task Manager with Evernote web active...

888210136_ScreenClip4.png.6bcacdaefa7bf8132844af1771394bfc.png

And this is after I kill that tab.

641711612_ScreenClip5.png.fbbfb7129ab7d1bd62681fd8f5893e9d.png

15 hours ago, gazumped said:

OK - just as a postscript on the above - 

This is my Task Manager with Evernote web active...

888210136_ScreenClip4.png.6bcacdaefa7bf8132844af1771394bfc.png

And this is after I kill that tab.

641711612_ScreenClip5.png.fbbfb7129ab7d1bd62681fd8f5893e9d.png

The memory drop after killing the tab is only 300M, but, I suspect there's still memory being tied up. I assume 1.2G of memory use in Brave isn't usual for you? I was never able to catch the high memory use, I only knew it had happened after the fact because Linux killed the process.

1 hour ago, upnix said:

I assume 1.2G of memory use in Brave isn't usual for you?

I've got up there with lots of tabs open,  but this was just a couple of tabs including Evernote.  Haven't been aware that Brave was using my GPU outside of Evernote either.  Caveat here is that my results are Brave on Windows 10,  not Linux (haven't found a resource monitor that's as good as Task Manager yet!).

@gazumped Did the new beta UI ever actually load for you in Brave? The first time load of a large account can take some time since it's trying to load all of the metadata for your content to the local storage of the browser. I think the team is working on improving this to be faster and more asynchronous. The hard thing is loading a usable UI before you have all the metadata you need to populate the UI, like all your notebook names, tags, etc. As long as you don't completely wipe your local browser cache, subsequent loads should be significantly faster since it will only load differences. This would be similar behavior to loading a local client (like Mac or Windows) with no local database. 

Hi Scott.  Yes the beta did load - from memory in about 5 minutes from the start.  It was an unconscionably long time for a web page no matter what background apps are required.  Haven't noticed it speeding up any afterward either,  though to be fair I'm cycling between the Classic / current and beta UI's which must be confusing things*.  I'm not taking any extreme steps to clear caches either,  but my Windows system gets restarted more or less every day.

* Edit:  that's to say I cycle between versions depending on what operation I need to carry out,  and what the current version supports - it's not a continuous thing!

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It was an unconscionably long time for a web page no matter what background apps are required.

I completely agree. I experience a similar lag for my Evernote business account. I'm hoping this gets addressed very soon. I think it's something that will completely change (and get better) as part of the architectural changes we're making. 

Sorry to hear the experience did not get better afterwards. I'll check with the team if they have any ideas on if there's something else going on.

• Thanks 1