Can't figure out PC user interface - help needed

Complete newbie to Evernotes, but I'm an experienced IT guy, and I'm completely baffled by this Windows PC interface!!

I'm trying to structure my notes, such as 

A Note of - My Notes
Two  Notebooks under My Notes
1. Table Tennis Players
2. Table Tennis Tactics

How does the functionality work on this Notes screen: (screenshot 1)

1. What is the meaning of 'the Location heading
2. Am I editing a Note or Notebook.
3. What does the Tag drop down list do, nothing happens when I use it to change notebooks
4. If a Note, how do I edit a Notebook.
5. When I click on 'Notebook's (left menu) and then double click on the first notebook, I get the editing window, but on the second notebook, the editing window does not appear, instead I get a message 'No Matching Notes found' (Screenshot 2)
6. How do I match a Notebook to a Note allowing me to edit that 2nd Notebook, I don't see any options, and dragging and dropping doesn't work.

I've looked through the help notes, but I'm unable to find any of this basic navigation stuff.

Do I really need a Note? I only require the two Notebooks

Thanks for any help

Capture.thumb.JPG.4d707fd3d2949c808425990f960a5545.JPGCapture.JPG.9f96e33b06bcac7475b0aa9a797fa5f7.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hi.  This is a -mainly- user-supported forum,  hence the delay in responding.  We're not set up to give you an in depth introduction,  but there should have been a series of emails after your registration as a user to step you through creating some basic notes,  and this page has more.  Check YouTube for a lot of visual material too...

• Level 5*
On 6/19/2019 at 3:09 AM, bernieraffe said:

Do I really need a Note? I only require the two Notebooks

Yes, Notes are the main storage unit in Evernote: think of a physical note or document 
Notebooks and Tags are just two metadata fields assigned to a note for organization

>>How does the functionality work on this Notes screen: (screenshot 1)1039103845_ScreenShot2019-07-01at14_55_00.png.d4d8baae1ce919cd69287e9f0b29aaf7.png

You're viewing your notes in Top List view; it shows 3 panels

1. Sidebar
 - you are showing the Notebook list    

1768848834_ScreenShot2019-07-01at15_00_46.png.b8afe92b16df8ac6b0d1afd70627cf96.png

2. The note list is displayed on the top
-  The upper corner shows the scope: All Notes
   You could use the dropdown to switch to a notebook
- each column is an item of metadata; created, updated, ....
  the important metadata is Title, Notebook, Tags
- I see one note, title My Notes

3. The bottom panel displays the selected note               44501803_ScreenShot2019-07-01at15_02_21.png.0a511061dbed4e9fff4301305aef1043.png
 - I see Title: My Notes
              Notebook: Table Tennis Players
              Tags: None
             Contents: Tactics go here

>>1. What is the meaning of 'the Location heading
It's supposed to be the longitude/latitude of the note, if available
You want the Notebook column

>>2. Am I editing a Note or Notebook.
You work in the bottom panel, and are editing a Note

>>3. What does the Tag drop down list do, nothing happens when I use it to change notebooks

In the bottom note panel, the Tag drop down list is used to assign tags to the note

>>4. If a Note, how do I edit a Notebook.

In the sidebar, click on the Notebook icon to switch to the Notebook page.  
This is where you edit Notebooks

>>5. When I click on 'Notebook's (left menu) and then double click on the first notebook, I get the editing window, but on the second notebook, the editing window does not appear, instead I get a message 'No Matching Notes found' (Screenshot 2)

Double clicking on a notebook switches you back to the main panel.
Instead of All Notes, you are displaying notes in notebook Table Tennis Players - there are none

>>6. How do I match a Notebook to a Note allowing me to edit that 2nd Notebook, I don't see any options, and dragging and dropping doesn't work.

In the bottom note panel, there are two drop down lists to assign Notebooks and Tags1919369843_ScreenShot2019-07-01at14_46_34.png.9f3da57615872d514d8c8c8a7ea4ff04.png

• Level 5*

Where to begin? OK, let's think of the real world. You have a bunch of pieces of paper that contain information of some sort: lists, descriptions, images, etc. Evernote's analogue to these are "notes". Now you don't want to be dragging along a bunch of disorganized papers, so you stick them into a series of notebooks (same word in the real world and in Evernote). Evernote notebooks require that a notebook has a name different from all other notebooks in your collection, and that every note belongs to exactly on notebook. Then there are Evernote tags: these are like little stickers or labels that you can put on a note that describe or categorize it. Think of things like "Work", "Health", "Finances", "Personal", even "Table Tennis". You can put any number of tags on a note, and you can use the same tag on any number of notes. Notebooks and tags are how you organize notes; the numbers of Notes, notebooks and tags, and their names are all up to you.

So, the basics:

• A Note contains some kind of information
  • A Notebook contains zero or more Notes (though it doesn't make much sense to have a notebook with no notes).
  • Every Note belongs to exactly one Notebook.
  • A Note can have zero or more Tags.

Notes have other properties, like Title, Date Created, Date Updated, Location, Size and so on. You see those properties in a list view.