Serious lag when creating a new note and when opening any note on Android app

Go to solution Solved by LuizSiqueiraNeto,

The latest version release, released on the Play store yesterday and marked as 8.10, is quite horrible.

Opening notes, saving notes, adding photos, all cause freezes / crashes. Not every single time, but quite often. Why does Evernote keep releasing such buggy updates? It feels as if even basic testing is not being done.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

It takes at least 1 minute for the app to respond when opening any note on my Android phone. It takes same time for the app to react when push the create new note button. I reinstalled the app. The problem vanished. After an hour or so, the lags started again.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  What device and Android version are you using,  and do you have any 'offline searchable' notes on that device? 

I have a venerable Galaxy Note 4 running Android 6.01 and the app reacts within 15-20 seconds.  Not fast,  but not a major issue - the device is pretty slow nowadays with all apps.  You could try raising this with Support to see if they have any ideas...

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*

Seems to be working fine on my Droid Turbo. Seems a bit snappier, even.

For people having problems, you should post your device and Android OS version.

• Evernote Expert

Seriously seriously painful. I wonder when serious and long term forum contributors will stop defending painful actions or unacceptable errors done by Evernote, or attempt to tone down the scale of the problem. 😕

The app is taking a minute to open. The phone has 4 GB of Ram and we are in 2019. I can't fire up mu Notes or look up something important. Is this not serious enough? 

Over the years, never faced issues with the Android client, but this is painful. Effectively useless. 

• Like 3
  • Evernote Expert

Seriously seriously painful. I wonder when serious and long term forum contributors will stop defending painful actions or unacceptable errors done by Evernote, or attempt to tone down the scale of the problem. 😕

The app is taking a minute to open. The phone has 4 GB of Ram and we are in 2019. I can't fire up mu Notes or look up something important. Is this not serious enough? 

Over the years, never faced issues with the Android client, but this is painful. Effectively useless. 

On 6/9/2019 at 12:33 AM, mz123 said:

The latest version release, released on the Play store yesterday and marked as 8.10, is quite horrible.

Opening notes, saving notes, adding photos, all cause freezes / crashes. Not every single time, but quite often. Why does Evernote keep releasing such buggy updates? It feels as if even basic testing is not being done.

Updated yesterday too, many freezes too. The app is now uber-slow and is quite unusable for me on my phone. I'm a huge user of Evernote (around 5000 notes ...) and I'm REALLY SAD about that ...

Samsung A5 2017
Android 7.0

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 6/9/2019 at 6:09 AM, Ferny said:

t takes at least 1 minute for the app to respond when opening any note on my Android phone. It takes same time for the app to react when push the create new note button. I reinstalled the app. The problem vanished. After an hour or so, the lags started again.

Is this related to the Android Beta (the forum topic where you posted)? What version are you using?

I've just updated my phone (A5 2017) to Android 8.0.0 and Samsung Experience 9.0. Evernote still freezes and is still uber-slow. I can open one note, and then it freezes while opening an other note ... VERY SAD !!!!

• Like 1

I'm running the newest stable channel Android Pie with the June patch. It certainly possible that the new Evernote has a problem only with newer Android versions, as I've noticed that those reporting no problems are on older versions of Android?

I can recreate a crash every time by doing this

1. Create a new note. Delete, don't save.
  2. Try to create a 2nd note. You'll find you cant type in the content area, save, or delete the note. App essentially frozen.
  3. Force-stop Evernote to "recover" to a state that will let you do step 1 again or potentially open a note without error.

• Level 5*
54 minutes ago, mz123 said:

I'm running the newest stable channel Android Pie with the June patch. It certainly possible that the new Evernote has a problem only with newer Android versions, as I've noticed that those reporting no problems are on older versions of Android?

I can recreate a crash every time by doing this

1. Create a new note. Delete, don't save.
  2. Try to create a 2nd note. You'll find you cant type in the content area, save, or delete the note. App essentially frozen.
  3. Force-stop Evernote to "recover" to a state that will let you do step 1 again or potentially open a note without error.

Ran steps 1 & 2 of this scenario. Was able to type in the note title, but trying to switch to the note body, the editor froze for a while. Didn't need to force-stop, it came around eventually, edit the note body, change notebooks, etc.. Evernote did not crash.

The freeze is definitely problematic; hard to tell what's causing it, whether it's local or a problem on the Evernote servers.

This is Android 6.0.1, just for reference.

6 minutes ago, jefito said:

Ran steps 1 & 2 of this scenario. Was able to type in the note title, but trying to switch to the note body, the editor froze for a while. Didn't need to force-stop, it came around eventually, edit the note body, change notebooks, etc.. Evernote did not crash.

The freeze is definitely problematic; hard to tell what's causing it, whether it's local or a problem on the Evernote servers.

How long did it freeze for?

10 minutes ago, jefito said:

Ok, mine eventually unfroze too, but it took almost 2 minutes. That's as good as never. 

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, SK_123 said:

will stop defending painful actions or unacceptable errors

...Wasn't my intention - just pointing out that my phone doesn't take as long,  or cause me an issue.  I did suggest that you take this up with Support,  who may not yet be aware that it's an issue.  The more feedback they get,  the more likely you are to see a change...

• Level 5*
On 6/10/2019 at 7:58 AM, SK_123 said:

The app is taking a minute to open.

Is there any chance this may be related to the quality of your internet connection?  I have a different phone and am just guessing but when I first start the app it triggers a sync and depending on where I am sometimes it is pretty speedy, other times it may appear hung and take a while before the app is usable.  I've only noticed this when I have either a poor wifi or cellular connection.

I am experiencing the same issue.  I have a OnePlus 6T with the latest updates applied.  It appears as though a blank note is opened, and if you wait, eventually the note loads.  I first noticed it this weekend when a notebook with a high note count took an excessively long time to load the notebook contents.  Eventually though, the app is unstable and becomes unresponsive for me and I have to close it and re-open it.  

In my case, I can safely my internet connection isn't the issue.  My device also has more than sufficient resources, and in reviewing some of the other devices listed, I would infer the same. 

I have a support request submitted.  I did, however, want to comment as it appears I'm not the only user experiencing the problem.  

If there are additional details that I can provide, please let me know.  I'd like to do my best to help narrow down the source of the issue.  

• Like 3
On 6/9/2019 at 5:01 AM, gazumped said:

I'm running 8.10 on a Galaxy Note 4 / Android 6.0.1 and haven't noticed any differences in this version - no crashes,  no freezes...  ??

Gazumped,

Are you still not having issues? Have you tried my steps above? They are a sure-fire way to recreate the problem for me. Just don't wait between them... do them right after another.

You are the only person I have seen chime in and indicate that your phone is immune to the issue, so that's curious.

For those of you who think you have an intermittent issues or no issue at all, please try the steps I posted to recreate the issue - for me it happens every time. See my post in a separate thread on this problem here:

This is the same issue described here. I later clarified that the app does eventually unfreeze, but for me it takes well over a minute. I am on a modern flagship phone, have no other performance issues, and a fantastic internet connection.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, mz123 said:

Are you still not having issues? Have you tried my steps above? They are a sure-fire way to recreate the problem for me. Just don't wait between them... do them right after another.

I'm just special I guess.  As before,  Galaxy Note 4 / Android 6 - Oh. 

Worked OK once,  then froze.  Weird!  Can't tell what I did differently...   :(

9 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I'm just special I guess.  As before,  Galaxy Note 4 / Android 6 - Oh. 

Worked OK once,  then froze.  Weird!  Can't tell what I did differently...   :(

Hmmm. My steps describe performing the same action twice. It freezes on the second time. Is that what you did? Or did you have to try to start a new note 3 or 4 times before the freeze?

I'd be surprised if someone doesn't have this issue. 

I'm using a Samsung Note 8 here in Australia, running Android v9.0, with the EN app v8.10

Every morning, I open the EN app on my phone (that is 4-pin password enabled), then open the same note (that has a video file and PPT doc attached, nothing else), from a notebook that has been 'made available for offline use...so it already lives locally on my phone.  Well for the past 2 morning the note takes like 45-60 sec to fully load...strange, as before it was virtually instant. 

I've also noticed strange unusual behaviour these last 2 mornings, when i manually tap the sync button... the sync notification status rapidly alternates messages.  don't know if that info helps get to the bottom of this.  

• Like 2

I have the same problem. Evernote 8.10, latest Android on Huawei Honor 8A.

Reported it yesterday and told "other users have reported the same issue", but couldn't give me a timetable for resolving.

It's become unusable on my phone which is a pain as I use Evernote constantly and have done for years, with almost 7,000 notes so switching elsewhere is not an option for me. Hope it gets fixed very soon.

• Like 2
  • Solution
45 minutos atrás, LuizSiqueiraNeto disse:

I'm going back to version 8.8.1 and check if it works.

Yes, it worked. Once again I'm having to go back to this version in less than a month, I lost time and had to download my data again. What is happening Evernote?

Link to download version 8.8.1

https://androidapksfree.com/evernote/com-evernote/download-old/evernote-8-8-1-1082393/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm having the same issues.  Oddly, all my notes are set for using when I'm offline and those notes are sometimes taking about a minutes to open.

This started about 3 to 4 weeks ago, right before a business trip of course when zippy performance is required when digging up info when with clients.

Phone is a ZTE Axon 7 running Android 7.1.1 and Evenote Premium ver 8.1.0.

The note will partially load as shown in this image but none of the text shows, just some of the Evernote buttons which can be used such as moving the note to another notebook.  However it will not allow me to use the back arrow at upper left.

Can I go back to 8.8.1 when I'm on 8.1.0 ??

I've thought about purging the cache and reloading all the offline notes

Screenshot_2019-06-15-01-15-34.thumb.jpg.880348924dbcc5add7ddfb73afba6667.jpg

• Like 1
hace 13 horas, LuizSiqueiraNeto dijo:

Yes, it worked. Once again I'm having to go back to this version in less than a month, I lost time and had to download my data again. What is happening Evernote?

https://androidapksfree.com/evernote/com-evernote/download-old/evernote-8-8-1-1082393/

Yeeeeeesssss, it worked for me too. Installed 8.8.1 using your link. Problem is gone. Hope Evernote fix this problem very soon. It is annoying. Thanks a lot.

• Like 1
hace 2 horas, Carl-L-ND dijo:

I'm having the same issues.  Oddly, all my notes are set for using when I'm offline and those notes are sometimes taking about a minutes to open.

This started about 3 to 4 weeks ago, right before a business trip of course when zippy performance is required when digging up info when with clients.

Phone is a ZTE Axon 7 running Android 7.1.1 and Evenote Premium ver 8.1.0.

The note will partially load as shown in this image but none of the text shows, just some of the Evernote buttons which can be used such as moving the note to another notebook.  However it will not allow me to use the back arrow at upper left.

Can I go back to 8.8.1 when I'm on 8.1.0 ??

I've thought about purging the cache and reloading all the offline notes

Screenshot_2019-06-15-01-15-34.thumb.jpg.880348924dbcc5add7ddfb73afba6667.jpg

Use this;

• Like 1

Same here. 8.10 non beta, android 7.2, Moto X Play XT 1562

The app starts more or less as usual but every single note takes 15-20 seconds to show up! For me it started not earlier than YESTERDAY.

Right after the search hiatus. Simply astonishing! I'll tell you what. You're going straight the Windows Phone route. I'd let your employers sit on a new release for a month, and then the CEO for a week before even thinking about pushing a new release to the store.

Edit:
Going back as little as to 8.9.1 seems to be doing the trick.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/evernote-corporation/evernote/evernote-8-9-1-release/evernote-8-9-1-android-apk-download/download/

It happens with offline notes that have been downloaded to the phone.  Takes a minute or longer for the text in the body to load to view it.

Has to be something within the app itself on the phone.

• Like 2

Same here, I'm using a Galaxy Note 8

Don't get me wrong, it's not like dial up but every time I open a note, it's at least 20 or 30 seconds before it will open or respond to edits, I'm spoiled I guess, but it sucks, I tried to go back to before the last update, and it downloads but won't install. 😭

On 6/12/2019 at 12:54 AM, phaugstad@gmail.com said:

I am experiencing the same issue.  I have a OnePlus 6T with the latest updates applied.  It appears as though a blank note is opened, and if you wait, eventually the note loads.  I first noticed it this weekend when a notebook with a high note count took an excessively long time to load the notebook contents.  Eventually though, the app is unstable and becomes unresponsive for me and I have to close it and re-open it.  

In my case, I can safely my internet connection isn't the issue.  My device also has more than sufficient resources, and in reviewing some of the other devices listed, I would infer the same. 

I have a support request submitted.  I did, however, want to comment as it appears I'm not the only user experiencing the problem.  

If there are additional details that I can provide, please let me know.  I'd like to do my best to help narrow down the source of the issue.  

Yes I have exactly the same, since this weekend. I've got a Oneplus 5 with 8 GB ram  128 GB storage. It started with not being able to start a note or a picture using the + button, I deleted all + options and set it back. Now the text note is fine but for using the camera I have to wait for 30 seconds before it opens (first I just see an empty note). Opening any note starts with an empty note and then I have to wait 30 seconds (I timed it), before it opens. In the mean time I can't do anything; Evernote freezes. This is unworkable. 

They solved the search problem and now this. Getting a bit tired of it.

• Like 1
22 minutos atrás, Reinald disse:

They solved the search problem and now this. Getting a bit tired of it.

Me too.The worst thing for me is to stay totally in the dark, they do not say anything, they do not say if they are aware of the problem, or even that they care.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, LuizSiqueiraNeto said:

The worst thing for me is to stay totally in the dark, they do not say anything, they do not say if they are aware of the problem, or even that they care.

You're posting in a user discussion forum.

Have you opened a support ticket?

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

I think the first Q&A guy who starts next Monday is going to do it ;)

EDIT:

I don't think I can anymore. Neither the Support website nor the Android app offer a "Submit ticket" option or anything similar.

Hi

Have been using Evernote for 5yrs+, without major issues

But I now have a major problem on Android (Samsung S8). I have not changed anything to my setup, but 2-3 weeks ago Evernote started acting super weird (note : i un-installed and reinstalled again, and same behavior)

When I start Evernote new, I can open a note normally. However after this, if I try opening a note

- it does not really load : it shows a blank note with a blank title (thought the information from the i button is correct), and then nothing happnes

- at worst it freezes totally

- anyway after this I have to crash the app, and start again

This is obviously massively cumbersome and makes evernote Android close to un-usable

Help please

• Like 1

On an odd note, this problem does not occur on another phone of mine, namely Huawei P10 lite

Brand: HUAWEI
Model: WAS-LX1
Product: WAS-LX1
Display: WAS-LX1 8.0.0.390(C432)
Display Width: 1080
Display Height: 1794
Display Density: 3.0
Android version: 8.0.0
Preloaded: false
IsTablet: false
Evernote version: 8.10(1082973)
Evernote revision: 8.10_2482

10 horas atrás, DTLow disse:

You're right, but after 10 years using this platform I got used to solving the problems myself and with the help of my fellow users. Evernote employees are too slow to answer, that's when they do. There should be some way to inform users that they are aware of a problem and that they are taking action.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, LuizSiqueiraNeto said:

There should be some way to inform users that they are aware of a problem and that they are taking action.

We're pushing them to include outstanding items on the release notices

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

If you're on the latest Evernote version,  Evernote are already aware of some issues.  As a subscriber you could report this to Support and give them some additional background that might help solve the issue...

19 hours ago, LuizSiqueiraNeto said:

Try this: 

Thanks for pointing me to this but what a mosh pit of depravity this whole APK Editor/Extractor section of the Play Store is.  I would not trust using 9/10 of those apps listed. If Google published one I'd have a go.

• Like 2

I'm using Evernote Android 8.10 on a OnePlus 6T, Android 9, with 8 GB of RAM. My home internet connection works fine on all my devices.

Evernote Android is super slow, and this evening it got 'stuck' in sync mode for about an hour, and lost all the photos from one of my recent notes. They disappeared.

I restarted my phone and Evernote Android is working better, not crashing or stuck in  sync, but it's very, very slow. Slow to open every single note. Slow to do everything.

Why did the crash erase those photos? Earlier in the evening those photos were still in the note. I sent a support ticket.

I have too many notes in Evernote to switch to another app. I hope they fix these issues asap. I'm really frustrated. 🤬

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, Leah_73 said:

and lost all the photos from one of my recent notes

It's possible that Android would take some time to download a number of images - notes are always downloaded from the server to mobile devices,  not stored locally.  Check your pictures are still available by signing into Evernote.com on a desktop and viewing the server copy of that note.  Please let us know how you get on with Support.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It's possible that Android would take some time to download a number of images - notes are always downloaded from the server to mobile devices,  not stored locally.  Check your pictures are still available by signing into Evernote.com on a desktop and viewing the server copy of that note.  Please let us know how you get on with Support.

Thanks gazumped. Yes, I went to the web version of Evernote & the photos were missing from the note there, too. And a few hours earlier those photos were in the note, at least that's how it appeared on my Android phone. Maybe the crash I noticed early this morning had actually begun many hours earlier on Sun. afternoon & maybe that's why those photos weren't saved to the servers...? I don't think I've ever seen Evernote for Android crash like that....syncing forever... couldn't open notes. And even though restarting my phone helped a little, the app is still super slow and it takes several minutes for each note to open. I lost a good amount of sleep trying to figure this out this morning. It isn't right for Evernote to release a buggy version on Google Play...which wastes our time and energy. I wish I hadn't invested so many notes in Evernote... because then it would be easier for me to switch over to another app. Thanks again for your help! 😊

• Like 2
3 horas atrás, AndreasM disse:

The same story again, again and again.

EN releases a new version without testing and QA. Users are having issues, but the gurus here are never having issues and asking to submit a ticket. A ticket, which is ignored by EN the same way they ignore the users. Makes me sick.

Stay on old version, refuse to upgrade!!!!

Microsoft products may have their problems but support is great. You can get in touch with them through the app itself that is presenting problems, in addition if the user complain on Twitter or Facebook they will respond immediately and honestly seek to solve the problem. I wish Evernote were like this. In other words is not a user fault but a Evernote fault.

Message from support on june 13:

My name is Nick L. Thanks for reaching out to Evernote Support. 
I received an escalation from customer support regarding Evernote for Android hanging and freezing.

Thank for bringing this to our attention. We are currently aware of this issue, and we're making strides to fix it as it's our top priority to resolve right now. We actually just released a beta build in the Google Play Store with a fix so that beta testers can try it out. If proven successful, we will then release this for all users. 

My reply today:

Beta is not possible (it is full). Please hurry with the solution and update now the oficial app.

• Level 5*

The key words there being

23 minutes ago, LuizSiqueiraNeto said:

You can get in touch with them

There's no point bemoaning the poor quality of the product and expecting Evernote's ESP to help them find and fix the issues.  They need customer feedback and answers to boringly routine questions to work out what's going wrong...

4 minutos atrás, gazumped disse:

The key words there being

There's no point bemoaning the poor quality of the product and expecting Evernote's ESP to help them find and fix the issues.  They need customer feedback and answers to boringly routine questions to work out what's going wrong...

Maybe I should wait for them to go bankrupt, that's what will happen if we do not complain. Being aware of user complaints is their problem not mine. Annotation application has already turned commodities, if they are not agile in responding to user needs they are lost. They even start rehearsing a change, giving feedback through the blog, but maybe it's already too late.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stewart1958 said:

As the problem suddenly stared I'm assuming it is related to the latest Evernote update, so is there a way to revert to the previous version I wonder?

Thanks Stewart, good idea. I looked at the version history and the version dated 10:48pm Sun. had no photos in it, only text. So that means that even though I was able to see photos in the note at that time, they were never saved to the server. Only the text was. Ugh. I will be extra careful with backing up photos immediately that I add to Evernote notes with my Android phone. I shouldn't have to do that, though. I'm assuming all this weirdness, and especially how slow the Android app is right now, is due to the new app version, 8.10.

4 hours ago, Flaviano said:

Message from support on june 13:

My name is Nick L. Thanks for reaching out to Evernote Support. 
I received an escalation from customer support regarding Evernote for Android hanging and freezing.

Thank for bringing this to our attention. We are currently aware of this issue, and we're making strides to fix it as it's our top priority to resolve right now. We actually just released a beta build in the Google Play Store with a fix so that beta testers can try it out. If proven successful, we will then release this for all users. 

My reply today:

Beta is not possible (it is full). Please hurry with the solution and update now the oficial app.

The current beta is 8.11_beta1. It doesn't fix the issue, at least not on my device.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Flaviano said:

This issue is occuring on version 8.10. Evernote support told me they are working hard on a solution. 

That's good news. I hope they come up with a fix soon. This is ridiculous. This latest version of the app is the buggiest I've seen in the last few years. I don't know how 8.10 made it past quality control.

Same issue here on Samsung Galaxy note 9 since last week. Takes a good 10-20 seconds to open new note. If I write anything more than a page or if I pause during writing (i.e listen to what is being said by speakers) the app becomes unstable. 

• Like 1

How can this topic be marked "answered" when the solution is to revert to a prior release?  Come on.  At the top of this web page is the banner "Building a More Reliable Evernote".  I don't think so.  The app lag is terrible.  This latest Android release should never have gotten past QA.  (Android Pie, latest updates on Essential PH-1)

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Leah_73 said:

That's good news. I hope they come up with a fix soon. This is ridiculous. This latest version of the app is the buggiest I've seen in the last few years. I don't know how 8.10 made it past quality control.

Read my previous comment. The first Q&A guy hasn't started yet ;D

On 6/10/2019 at 5:28 PM, SK_123 said:

I raised the very same issue on May 15, 2019 but it was dismissed by an EV loyalist. Here's the thread :

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, MayurH said:

I raised the very same issue on May 15, 2019 but it was dismissed by an EV loyalist. Here's the thread :

You were not dismissed. We users do not generally have the tools to do in-depth problem solving for Evernote issues. Raising a support request is fair advice, as is posting about it in the forums (Evernote does read them, but their posting here is a bit sparse). Note that the 4-5 second lag that you report is a lot smaller than the lag reported here, which appears to have come with the 8.10 public release, and isn't specific to template usage, but instead opening existing notes.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

EN loyalist ! Sounds you just got bumped up the ladder. Formerly you could only make GURU-status, and then you were done for life.

But as I always say: Be nice, try to help, just do not expect anybody to thank you 😥

• Haha 1

Hey everyone, 

Thanks for all the reports. We've been notified on all our communication channels about the delayed note load times and freezing after our 8.10 update. Our development team is aware and currently working diligently on a resolution. I know this issue is quiet frustrating and affects pretty much any workflow. We definitely understand the pain you all are experiencing currently as this issue is our top priority and we hope to have a fix for this soon. 

• Level 5*

It's interesting (?!?) -- I've had mixed experiences with the latest beta. Sometimes opening a note is right away, sometimes there's a very noticeable delay. Keep on it, Everfolks!

Same problem here. It's taking between 4-8 seconds to open a short, simple text note. It was instantaneous before 8.10. I'm using a Samsung S7 Edge running on Android 8.0.0.

Very frustrating. I use EN as a tool, not a toy. Highly disappointed with the way EN churns out "new versions", seemingly with very little testing. I have the feeling they've given up on testing and simply launch beta versions for the users to debug.

• Like 1
On 6/19/2019 at 12:56 AM, jefito said:

It's interesting (?!?) -- I've had mixed experiences with the latest beta. Sometimes opening a note is right away, sometimes there's a very noticeable delay. Keep on it, Everfolks!

I rolled back to 8.9 to get rid of the issue. Two days without it, then, today, it's happening again, even on that 8.9!

Just adding my post to this thread.  I'm having the same issue.

I will open an existing note, and get a blank screen (like I'm creating a brand new one).  At that point have to wait varying amounts of time to get the actual content to appear: as little as a few seconds, to substantially more.  It's annoying, as it used to be instant.  It isn't my network connection or device.  AFAIK, it started a few weeks ago.

My workaround was to simply un-install all updates, which left me at version 7.9.9.  This (so far) seems to work well.

This serious issue has been reported for 14 days now. Still no fix rolled out!

Seriously, if this is how high priority issues are handled, I don't know what to say. This is a bummer!

Oneplus 3T, OxygenOS 9.0.3 (Android Pie)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Coffee First Thing said:

I've noticed a significant delay in opening notes on my Pixel 3, including in notebooks that are available offline. 

All my notebooks are configured as "available offline". And I have this problem with all my notes. It's been over 2 weeks since this issue started, ad still no solution from EN. It's clearly time to uninstall updates as asan has just suggested:
" My workaround was to simply un-install all updates, which left me at version 7.9.9.  This (so far) seems to work well. "

• Like 1
10 minutos atrás, notetakeingguy disse:

How do I roll back to a previous version on Android? I thought the only choice on any app was just uninstall it.

Uninstall Evernote and install through this link.

Link to download version 8.8.1

Then search the store for Evernote and look for the option to disable automatic updating.

• Like 1

I also have a lag of about 30 or more sec when opening a note on my android phone. It makes the phone app very tedious to use. I believe the problem started after the 5 June 2019 Evernote update to v 8.10. The delay lag did not occur prior to early June 2019.

Creating a new note on my android phone is either immediate or takes a 1 to 3 seconds. If I save the note on the phone and then try to open it again it takes 30 or more sec. Closing the same note on the phone and re-opening it also takes a 30 or more seconds.

Sometimes (say one out of 10 times) I get an on-screen message "Opening note, please wait" which appears only 2 to 4 sec before the note opens, i.e. it appears after about 26 to 28 seconds.

My phone: LG G6. Android 8.0.0  Evernote 8.10

Evernote screen shots x3.png

Additional Info about delay in opening a note on my Android mobile device.

I cleared the cache on the 8.10 App. It did not help.
I cleared the data on the 8.10 App. It did not help.
I uninstalled and re-installed the 8.10 App. The opening delay reduced but only for about a half an hour or so after which the long opening delay returned.

I have now uninstalled 8.10 and installed 8.8.1 as per the LuizSiqueiraNeto post above. I managed to find the auto-update tick box under the 3 dot menu button at top right of Evernote entry under "My apps & games" in the Google Play store.

So far there is no delay in opening a note.

Evernote AutoUpdate.png

• Like 1
5 hours ago, notetakeingguy said:

How do I roll back to a previous version on Android? I thought the only choice on any app was just uninstall it.

Evernote comes pre-installed on some phones and cannot be uninstalled. It can only be rolled back to the version it was installed by the manufacturer 

15 hours ago, LuizSiqueiraNeto said:

Uninstall Evernote and install through this link.

Link to download version 8.8.1

Then search the store for Evernote and look for the option to disable automatic updating.

Just done this. Back to normal (fast) note access again. I've also blocked updating. Thanks for the advice.
P.S. I've also bookmarked the URL to the page: https://androidapksfree.com/evernote/com-evernote/. This is the third serious problem I've had with Evernote, and for which I've had to go back to a previous version.

Edited by IanHinton
error
  • Like 2
On 6/23/2019 at 7:41 AM, NotQuiteRight said:
Additional Info about delay in opening a note on my Android mobile device.

I cleared the cache on the 8.10 App. It did not help.
I cleared the data on the 8.10 App. It did not help.
I uninstalled and re-installed the 8.10 App. The opening delay reduced but only for about a half an hour or so after which the long opening delay returned.

I have now uninstalled 8.10 and installed 8.8.1 as per the LuizSiqueiraNeto post above. I managed to find the auto-update tick box under the 3 dot menu button at top right of Evernote entry under "My apps & games" in the Google Play store.

So far there is no delay in opening a note.

Evernote AutoUpdate.png

I made the mistake of installing 8.9.1 instead of 8.8.1 as LuizSiqueiraNeto advised, but I discovered that it is also working fine. Clearly the problem starts with 8.10.

BTW, as payed users of EN, I find it amazing that the only help we are getting to overcome this issue is from ourselves. It seems that the EN developers have gone into a coma. There is absolutely NO help coming from them. I'm deeply disappointed - once again.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, IanHinton said:

It seems that the EN developers have gone into a coma. There is absolutely NO help coming from them. I'm deeply disappointed - once again.

I know this seems like rushing to Evernote's defence,  but it's not:  I'm a Virgo.  I like things to be precise and exactly correct...

This is a user supported forum.  Developers do weigh in from time to time,  but 99% of the responses are down to us chickens.  If you're a subscriber,  you are entitled to personal chat or email support - just contact the support team directly.  You will always get a personal response.

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I know this seems like rushing to Evernote's defence,  but it's not:  I'm a Virgo.  I like things to be precise and exactly correct...

This is a user supported forum.  Developers do weigh in from time to time,  but 99% of the responses are down to us chickens.  If you're a subscriber,  you are entitled to personal chat or email support - just contact the support team directly.  You will always get a personal response.

I know this is a user supported forum. Where else can I vent my frustration? I'm fed up of reporting issues to EN, only to receive the usual reply: "send us your log, how did it happen, bla, bla...", when the problem has already been reported by many other users, and has been around for some time - just like on this ocasion. On several ocasions, the "support" I was receiving was in the lines of "try this, have you tried that?"... a complete waste of time.

I've been using EN now for 5 years and I have encountered several important issues with the app that just take ages to be corrected. I have the feeling that we users are being used as beta testers. Of all the apps I have on my phone, EN beats them all when it comes to serious bugs and the time that is required for them to be corrected.

The least EN could do would be to email all customers informing of the problem, and releasing an update to the next version which would simply be a copy of the last version that was working correctly. I think we would all be quite happy with this workaround while they fix the problem, and we could continue working without wasting time on DIY forums. These forums should be for learning how to use the app from others' experience, not trying to find a fix to EN's bugs.

Edited by IanHinton
edit
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, IanHinton said:

Where else can I vent my frustration?

Venting is fine.  I read your comments as expecting a helpful Support genii to pop up here and fix the issues.  There's a lot of good reasons why IT engineering companies don't issue warnings about bugs in new versions - which is why a lot of users tend to wait for 6 months before updating any software so others can debug the new 'features'.  It's unfortunately a fact of life with any tech that no matter how well it's been tested (and we all have some doubts over the value of 'well' for Evernote),  the bugs will start popping up immediately after launch.

Part of the problem I think is that auto-updates are enabled by default across the board for the Google Play Store (at least it was with my device).

I have now turned that off completely in the Play Store app, and periodically update only what looks to be an improvement. Evernote is not the only app I have that has seen a significant downgrade in performance with some new versions.

On the bright side, 7.9.9 is still working great for me and I don't appear to have lost anything at least.

On 6/9/2019 at 5:50 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  What device and Android version are you using,  and do you have any 'offline searchable' notes on that device? 

I have a venerable Galaxy Note 4 running Android 6.01 and the app reacts within 15-20 seconds.  Not fast,  but not a major issue - the device is pretty slow nowadays with all apps.  You could try raising this with Support to see if they have any ideas...

helpful. i tried it!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, NotQuiteRight said:

A Twitter search for @evernotehelps android reveals:

Hmmn.  Maybe explains why I'm not suffering from the general issues - I'm on 8.11 beta already...

3 Major issues to Hit Evernote Android and response times :

#1 Failing to Clip articles - 1-2 months 

#2 Broken Search function - 2 months

#3 Failing to open notes/Delay in opening existing and new notes - Yet to fix 

• Sad 2

Just received the 8.11 Update. Note opens without any delay. Some things I wish that were fixed 

1. Searching text within images fails to highlight in results

2. Opening old notes with images takes too long 

3. Saving notes is a two step process. On iPhone Evernote you have tap just once to Save note and go back to All notes home screen. 

4. Auto title first line of the note is a long pending feature request for Android Evernote which has long been existing on iPhone Evernote

I have now got the 8.11 update. The opening time delay problem has gone.

Capitalisation of the first letter of a new line, or after a full stop, works for me except when a checkbox is used.

I find it interesting that the Twitter @evernotehelps account does not tell followers about the 8.11 Android release.