(Archived) Changing Notebooks UI

Lougoose

Idea

So I have been loving the new UI for editing notes, especially the quick drop-down access to different notebooks.

However, when the user changes a note's notebook (via the in-note drop down menu), the note vanishes. Instead of Evernote changing the Notebook view, it moves the Note and maintains focus on the "old" notebook.

To be sure this makes sense, here is a scenario:

I have OLD notebook selected, and I am editing the note, which is currently in OLD notebook.

I use the drop-down menu to move the note to NEW notebook.

The note appears to vanish. This is because OLD notebook remains selected, rather than automatically selecting NEW notebook.

Perhaps it could be changed so that Evernote maintains its focus on the note, rather than the notebook?

8 replies to this idea

*Bump*

I know you've posted this as a bug and I appreciate it. I just wanted to bug you a bit to please make correcting this a priority. It is a real work flow buster when the note on which you're working just disappears. I try and remember to chose the notebook last, but in the course of real work, I sometimes don't know when "last" has occured.

• Level 5
However, when the user changes a note's notebook (via the in-note drop down menu), the note vanishes. Instead of Evernote changing the Notebook view, it moves the Note and maintains focus on the "old" notebook.

To be sure this makes sense, here is a scenario:

I have OLD notebook selected, and I am editing the note, which is currently in OLD notebook.

The note appears to vanish. This is because OLD notebook remains selected, rather than automatically selecting NEW notebook.

There is an easy solution. I have reworded your steps.

I have ALL NOTES notebook selected, and I am editing the note, which is currently in OLD notebook.

The note does not vanish because I am in the ALL NOTES notebook.

This currently happens on the Windows client too. I find it annoying when I'm focusing on the note. But I think this could go either way. IE, if you're dealing with a notebook & find a note that doesn't belong in that notebook. In that case, it's nice not to have to switch back to the notebook you were working in.

I agree.

Personally, I believe that when viewing the note, the note should stay focused. However, if you drag a note to another notebook (rather than using the drop-down menu in the note), then the notebook should stay focused.

Although it could also be a setting.

jbenson2, Thanks for the workaround. That's a really good solution for now.

jefito, Of course prioritization is up to Evernote, however, I suspect they appreciate hearing what is impacts their users on a daily basis. Evernote is clearly a work in progress and I suspect it will continue to get better. I use it everyday for my work in progress too, and I keep bumping up against this behavior which I'd like to see changed. That's why I'm speaking up.

Archived