Advanced Editing overriding plain text

When simplifying formatting and changing a note to plain text, my expectation of behavior would be that the advanced editing functions such as auto-creation of lists would not continue to happen. My experience is that while in plain text mode, the auto formatting options still happen. 

It would be nice if I didn't have to manually disable these when working on plain text notes. 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, paulvantuyl said:

working on plain text notes

If you're editing an Evernote note, you're working in enml/html format.

For plain text, use a text editor on a file attachment.

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

For plain text, use a text editor on a file attachment.

I don't think this is a helpful response. I know that Evernote team members view these forums, and if multiple people have a problem, or report unexpected behavior, they will prioritize and fix. 

Either upvote or move on, but don't give me unhelpful workarounds. Evernote has plain text options built in; whether or not they are truly .txt output is beside the point. The point is that helpful auto-formatting options shouldn't continue to create rich text formatting once in plain text mode.  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, paulvantuyl said:

The point is that helpful auto-formatting options shouldn't continue to create rich text formatting once in plain text mode

The Evernote editor does not support a "plain text mode"
You might want to change the post to a "mode request"

>>This screenshot says differently.

The screenshot shows a one-time update to a note.

• Level 5

This screenshot does only tell that you (probably) want to copy some text with „rich“ formatting properties into EN.

EN detects it cannot handle it, and offers 2 options, which is simplify (probably some easy HTML format) or skip all formatting.

EN staff will show along, but if you want something promoted, it has to be moved to the voting section.

Maybe you join one of the other voting threads over there. I would rather like to get markdown capability build into the editor, because it would make life easier when you prepare blog postings in EN, and send the result as a blog post into your blogging program.

Currently an extra stop in a markdown editor is needed.

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This screenshot does only tell that you (probably) want to copy some text with „rich“ formatting properties into EN.

I don’t want to copy text with “rich” formatting. Evernote does have a plain text formatting for notes, and always has, since I’ve started using the product in 2011. 

As I originally posted:

• On Evernote iOS
  • When, in Evernote Settings > Notes > Advanced Editing; if any of the options are turned on, such as Lists
  • Changing a note to Plain Text
  • The expected behavior is that typing a hyphen and a space is that it would no longer create a bulleted list, which is a rich text formatting option

I don’t care about exporting true plain text etc etc. I only care about writing in plain text in certain cases. I don’t want to go into settings and turn off the very helpful, markdown-style advanced editing functions every time I need to write a plain text document.

• Level 5

This explanation makes it clearer to me what your problem is.

Now we just have to wait for a bus (=EN staff) to drive by and make a pickup.

Maybe it would be better to place a support ticket, or move / open the thread in the voting section.

• Like 1