Not an Idea, Just 'Goodbye Evernote'

I've been using Evernote forever; a premium account it got me through 8 years of grad school and more, but it is 2019 now and still the Evernote iOS app is absolutely horrendous. There are semi-frequent updates to the app, but none have resulted in a better user experience. I'm not going to go out by listing all of its deficiencies (to say nothing of the stagnation of the Mac app), just thanks for being there when we needed a workhouse note app. If there had been more innovation along the way, more upgrades and improvements, I wouldn't be going to OneNote. Still, I hope Evernote can turn it around. I'll keep an eye open.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, srvblooze said:

I've been using Evernote forever

I'm interested in what app/service you'll be using in the future.

Not note-taking; there's plenty of editor apps.  My concern is storage and organization of my files/documents.

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm interested in what app/service you'll be using in the future.

Not note-taking; there's plenty of editor apps.  My concern is storage and organization of my files/documents.

OP says Onenote.  

21 minutes ago, srvblooze said:

I wouldn't be going to OneNote

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, CalS said:

OP says Onenote.  

[ I wouldn't be going to OneNot]

That's perfectly clear  😉

OneNote is a fine note editor, although I know nothing about the .one format.  
I'm familiar with Evernote's enml/html format, and find it quite workable.

As I said, I'm concerned about my 12k+ files/documents.  
I'm not going to import them into OneNote.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, srvblooze said:

If there had been more innovation along the way, more upgrades and improvements, I wouldn't be going to OneNote.

Clearer?  😜

I  understand completely. I've been asking for some improvements for years now (ios sort order for one) and haven't seen any changes along those lines. There have also been some bugs in the Macos version that I've been waiting for a fix on (pdf files revert to the original filename after I attempt to rename them...I don't know how long I've been using a workaround for that one but it feels like years).

I've also monitored some other users requests and they seem to be largely ignored.

Additionally, the following statement on the feature request forum has begun to annoy me:  "One thing to remember: popularity does not mean implementation. Our forums are one component of the decisions we make, and while a bunch of ideas have merit, we need to be selective and always balancing priorities."

Yes, it's getting to me and I've been looking for an alternative. Still looking but I will jump when I find it.

I'll make one comment here - I left Evernote a couple of years ago for Bear for day to day note taking. But I didn't abandon Evernote completely, I use it as sort of an archive for notes I don't need access to very often. This keeps Bear more manageable, and lets me keep an eye on Evernote development. And I must say that the new management seems to be doing all the right things. And I realize we have had promises from new management before that didn't turn out so well :)

So assuming you like a lot of things about Evernote, I would suggest keeping your options open. Even with a Basic account you can keep your current data, there is no need to delete everything after exporting to another app. 

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

It's been some time since my reply but, since I'm here, I thought I'd mention that I've moved on from Evernote. I got tired of waiting for a fix while also watching their "feel good" videos (and thinking about the time and expense they put to making those while NOT fixing the bugs). I think I'll still check back from time to time to see if they fixed the filename reversion issue. My bug report had been open for at least a year and I can't tell you how much time I wasted on that...

• Level 5

Could somebody please remove this from being a voting item ?

On what sort of improvement shall we be voting here ?

P.S. Sort of a joke that someone who claims that EN is not moving forward diligently enough has switched over to OneNote. This is the app that within of the last 2 years had gotten their further development  discontinued by their developer first, and then was saved from being discontinued some month later, without really saying what it stands for in the universe of apps from that developer, or where it will go in the future.

And they do not even make „feel-good-videos“ about it. What a choice !