New note pop up stays in the background

After all the updates, I have been living with this problem for more than a year.  Evernote tech support understood my issue but could not help me.  I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else and what you did? -->

Desired action - Using global short cut keys to pop up a new evernote note in the foreground of Windows no matter what windows app you are in.

Error - Above not happening for last one year.

Already tried - Tools > Options - there's a setting in there for 'open new note in its own window' 

What is actually happening - The note is created. But it remains in the background.  And the Evernote icon keeps flashing on the toolbar indicating the new note is created.  I have to manually select the new note screen before using it.

Incredibly frustrated with support and evernote app.  Tried all the updates since last one year.  Could someone please help?  Would be great if you have an idea!

regards,

Krish

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, dconnet said:

That's Windows. Windows tries very hard to prevent an application from forcing itself to the top (and stealing focus). Raymond Chen has a good blog post about this: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20090220-00/?p=19083

Old New Thing!! Raymond Chen is awesome. I pretty much read him every day, even when what he's writing about doesn't apply to what I do.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dconnet said:

That's Windows. Windows tries very hard to prevent an application from forcing itself to the top (and stealing focus). Raymond Chen has a good blog post about this: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20090220-00/?p=19083

Thank you.  So any suggestion to resolve this?  And I am assuming if this is windows, I couldn't be the only one, could I?

On 5/22/2019 at 9:24 AM, kkrathi said:

You're not alone. I have this problem, too, and it's frustrating. Doubly so because the taskbar pops up every time I create a new note using a shortcut key, which blocks part of my screen. 

On 5/22/2019 at 9:24 AM, kkrathi said:

After all the updates, I have been living with this problem for more than a year.  Evernote tech support understood my issue but could not help me.  I was wondering if this is happening to anyone else and what you did? -->

Desired action - Using global short cut keys to pop up a new evernote note in the foreground of Windows no matter what windows app you are in.

Error - Above not happening for last one year.

Already tried - Tools > Options - there's a setting in there for 'open new note in its own window' 

What is actually happening - The note is created. But it remains in the background.  And the Evernote icon keeps flashing on the toolbar indicating the new note is created.  I have to manually select the new note screen before using it.

Incredibly frustrated with support and evernote app.  Tried all the updates since last one year.  Could someone please help?  Would be great if you have an idea!

regards,

Krish

• Level 5*

Hi.  I had this issue for a while but then either it fixed itself or my random fiddling actually worked...  since it was random I don't know exactly what I tried,  but this has never been a major issue.  My taskbar shows when an app has more than one window open,  and it's pretty easy to blink the backgrounded window forwards.  I can understand it is annoying,  but if this is an OS feature (not-a-bug) I don't think there will be ways around it.  The only hope may be that if/ when the Web version gets 'fixed',  a browser window will be easier to control.

Full disclosure - my lack of serious concern will also be due to the fact that I operate multiple screens most of the time,  so Evernote generally has spare real estate to move into...

One man's bug, is another's swarm of spiders. 😉 

OS feature or bug, it would be nice to find a cure. One possible cure would be for new Evernote windows to always appear on top. If that were to happen, I think that the Windows taskbar would not be popping up. 

I've followed the threads about this other topic --getting Evernote to open a note on top-- and, this, too seems to be in a state of limbo. For some, notes open on top; for others, including me, notes sometimes open on top (in that case the taskbar doesn't pop up), and sometimes they don't open on top of all other windows.

I oten use another notes program called Notezilla because it mimics post-its and lets me stick notes to my Windows desktop. When I create a note using Notezilla, that note always appears on top of other apps, and never summons the taskbar. 

• 4 months later...

Hello All,

Years have passed since the OP started this thread and I am using Windows 10 Pro 64bit, so the root cause might be different, but I am sharing my experience, maybe it will help someone else too.

I realized, that in my case, the Focus assist feature in Windows was preventing the Evernote note window to pop to the foreground. I had to turn off all options (see highlighted with the red rectangle), which resolved my issue. First I tried to add Evernote to the priority list and change the settings to priority only, but I couldn't figure out how as Evernote was not offered as an option in the apps list, so I have decided to turn the feature off completely. I will revisit it if notifications get too annoying. :)

image.thumb.png.e45af1c6e7a4e9274566d7fc480e172a.png

Best,

Tamas.