Solved: Editing clip from selection with browser extensions

voldemarz

Idea

This is feedback / suggestion for Chrome browser extenions, so not sure if this forum category is best fit.

Problems

• Some sites have layout that is not handled / recognized well by Evernote and would result with ugly clip in "simple article" case or missing or too much contents in "article" case. The only workaround I have found is to clip from selection.
  • Clip from selection doesn't provide an option to set / edit a tag,  title, target notebook. It assigns them based on best guess and extension UI just provides a link to view clip in Evernote Web.
  • Evernote Web doesn't show assigned tag, setting one doesn't help with auto-complete, so easy to assign new one with type. Also assigned notebook not obvious.
  • Because with issues with Evernote Web I usually just go to straight to desktop app to adjust title, tags, notebook which results in cumbersome process.

Suggestion

• Add similar UI experience for setting name, tag, notebook for clip from selection in browser extension UI like is for other clip formats (article, simplified article, full page etc)

This where I would expect to be able to adjust clip data https://i.imgur.com/jf3jWGy.png

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 5/18/2019 at 10:42 PM, voldemarz said:

Some sites have layout that is not handled / recognized well by Evernote

Hi and welcome to the internet.  I use a variety of tools to acquire content from we pages including

1. print from the browser to PDF
  2. use any native page copy add-in available in the browser
  3. copy and paste clips from the page into a note
  4. use a copy page utility like Snagit
  5. sometimes it's easier to copy from a mobile device than a desktop or vice-versa

I think this is an area where sometimes you settle for what you can get - I just pixellated part of a receipt to lose an online ad;  but the result is good enough for my purchase record.  I doubt Evernote (or anyone else) will be able to provide a foolproof way to copy every web page.

On 5/18/2019 at 10:42 PM, voldemarz said:

Clip from selection doesn't provide an option to set / edit a tag,  title, target notebook

?  Seems to work for me...  

1759183974_ScreenClip1.png.2a3ab42b0a3b532d8e318bc0740418ac.png

...sorry - I just got from your comments that we're talking about Evernote Web,  which I agree is seriously overdue for updating - and which we're led to believe is getting attention now.  So you should find things will improve in the next weeks and months...

• Level 5*
On 5/18/2019 at 2:42 PM, voldemarz said:

Some sites have layout that is not handled / recognized well by Evernote

This is my experience also.

The Evernote editor/format is ok for basic notes, not for complicated web pages.

Screenshots are reproduced exactly.
I also save web pages in web archive format, for viewing in my web browser (Mac Safari)

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

I think this is an area where sometimes you settle for what you can get - I just pixellated part of a receipt to lose an online ad;  but the result is good enough for my purchase record.  I doubt Evernote (or anyone else) will be able to provide a foolproof way to copy every web page.

I am not expecting fool proof way, but definitely would like to see consistency and help with usability to hande those edge case where Evernote needs assistance.

Seems to work for me...  

1759183974_ScreenClip1.png.2a3ab42b0a3b532d8e318bc0740418ac.png

What browser & platform are you using? For Chrome on Windows I dont'see "selection" in the list. Instead I have this when pression on extension icon

image.png.c20c473eba63ae80f5a0aa71718fb849.png

To clip from selection I have select the text in the page and use context menu.

image.png.11d9245e034dfe982ffd9e8e04629f74.png

After doing so you get something like this where you can't eddit title. tag, notebook etc.

jf3jWGy.png

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

...sorry - I just got from your comments that we're talking about Evernote Web,  which I agree is seriously overdue for updating - and which we're led to believe is getting attention now.  So you should find things will improve in the next weeks and months...

Not really. I mostly talking about Evernote browser extensions. Just mentioned that Evernote Web which extensions afterwards links to is not useful either to achieve what I want. Generally I would want to avoid even needed to open it to cpmplete adding a note since that's extra friction.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  I'm using Brave (a Chrome-compatible browser) on Windows 10.  It's using the Chrome store Evernote clipper.  If I select text or images in the page,  I get the 'selection' option pre-ticked.  I also have the context menu on right-click.