Performance: Speed up search, bypass incr search

FrankMundo

Idea

I have a hefty Notebook - must about 3,000 items.  Because SEARCH is invoked after 4 or so characters are entered in the search field.... the system chokes with repeated searches with each subsequent key stroke as I'm entering the search argument.  In short, for any search I''m forced to enter the search argument outside of Evernote and then "cut and paste it" into the search field as a "workaround."   How difficult would it be to have a set-able option that would hold the invocation of search until the <ENTER> key is pressed.  Seems easy to do and it would significantly help using search for people who have larger notebooks to search.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, FrankMundo said:

Because SEARCH is invoked after 4 or so characters are entered in the search field.... the system chokes with repeated searches with each subsequent key stroke as I'm entering the search argument.  In short, for any search I''m forced to enter the search argument outside of Evernote and then "cut and paste it" into the search field as a "workaround." 

This is a very, very old issue -- years old.  When Evernote first released the version with incremental search, many of us complained, loud and often.  But to no avail.

Let us hope now that Evernote is rebuilding their foundation, that they will at least give us an option to turn off incremental search.  BTW, the issue is on both EN Win and EN Mac.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, FrankMundo said:

I have a hefty Notebook - must about 3,000 items.  Because SEARCH is invoked after 4 or so characters are entered in the search field.... the system chokes with repeated searches with each subsequent key stroke as I'm entering the search argument.

In general, it's helpful to mention which Evernote client you are using (Windows, Mac,e.g.) so you can get specific help for your issue. As mentioned, the Windows client has a solution for this.