Weblogista

New note without popup

When I create a new note, sometimes I get a popup, other times it stays in the main window, which is what I prefer. What makes it pop up or not? I prefer no popups, always close them down immediately, which is irritating, so if there is a way to force Evernote to stay within the main window all the time I would like to know.

Hi.  Windows or Mac?  In Windows check Tools > Options - there's a setting in there for 'open new note in its own window' which might cause you an issue.

17 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Try 'preferences'?

Great tip! Now please explain where in the preferences you can set this!?!?

evernote.thumb.png.b048a273c82bbc5f84b50286eb0b759b.png

What may have an influence is the second option from top down „Open note links ....“. You have switched it off, so no new window from there.

Another may be in the clipper tab the topmost option „Clip forward. ... „ (or something, have to translate this stuff)

In the Mac client these two are those that may have an impact on this new window creation.

• Like 1

Thanks @PinkElephant! I checked that option and that works. Although this is very confusing...

I checked the "Open note links from other applications in new window". I don't even know what this means in this regard. If it would say "open new notes in new window", then I understand, but then it should be left unchecked. How does this text relate to what I want? I really don't understand.

evernote.png

Sometimes it is just try and error.

As an example: When I scan something from my ix500 into my Windows Evernote, it goes straight into the database, without an extra window.

When I do the same scanning into my Mac, each scan opens its own little window, that I will have to close later.

Why ? No idea ! I have not yet found the switch to kill it.

And the scanning interface is very different in Windows and Mac. But this is Fujitsu, not Evernote.

I never scan anything, don't use any external apps. I only use the Evernote app on my phone and the Evernote app on the Mac. I only create new notes in the app itself.

When I scan documents with my iPhone, and send them to Evernote, it just creates a new note with the scanned document as content, and the properties (title, tags) assigned to it by the scanning app. No new window.

Just when I use the ix500 ScanSnap, a window is created. This is an Evernote window, not a scansnap-app window. So somehow the transfer of the scanned document into Evernote makes EN show a new window, with this note as content. For each scanned document a new window is created. When I scanned a lot, I have some housekeeping to do.

For me, scanning things is the most important source to create content in Evernote, followed by Webclipper and forwarding E-Mails into the account. Creating and typing notes in EN I do comparatively scarcely.

On 5/20/2019 at 3:29 PM, PinkElephant said:

What may have an influence is the second option from top down „Open note links ....“. You have switched it off, so no new window from there.

Another may be in the clipper tab the topmost option „Clip forward. ... „ (or something, have to translate this stuff)

In the Mac client these two are those that may have an impact on this new window creation.

..I tried all combinations (on Mac) and it doesn't work. Sometimes the new note open in new window, sometimes in existing window... its not predictable to me and quite annoying :)

The only option I know is this one in the EN settings on the Mac. It controls whether new notes created by other apps into EN should open as a new window (if checked) or not (if unchecked):

skitch.thumb.png.86556257fdb16184828b60777a3c93cf.png

58 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The only option I know is this one in the EN settings on the Mac. ..

Yes, but this doesn't change the behaviour whenever new note open in new window or not..