Jump to content
TdeV

How to exclude deleted notes from search?

Recommended Posts

At the top of my Shortcuts, I have a default search for all notebooks which excludes notes tagged "Archive". However, search returns notes I have just deleted. This is annoying because I have deleted the note(s) so that I don't have to consider it(them) anymore.

How do I adjust the search to NOT include deleted notes? TIA.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, TdeV said:

search returns notes I have just deleted. This is annoying because I have deleted the note(s) so that I don't have to consider it(them) anymore.

On my devices/platforms (Mac, iPad) deleted notes in the Trash are excluded from the search

Is this a temporary issue, resolved after a sync?

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know, @DTLow. I tested this, i.e. created a note and synced, then deleted it. But it stayed deleted!

I've restored the note and will try again tomorrow to see if it behaves differently. 🙁

Share this post


Link to post

Just did a quick test, no matter syncing or not, notes in the trash don't appear in search results for me.   Only works if context is Trash.

Share this post


Link to post

Using the Windows client, deleted notes do not show up in the note list for me, but Trash is identified as a notebook where a matching note can be found.  I like that it does that.

image.png.e7e6aa16f2287829def0c5dfbc0fc38a.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Using the Windows client, deleted notes do not show up in the note list for me, but Trash is identified as a notebook where a matching note can be found.  I like that it does that.

image.png.e7e6aa16f2287829def0c5dfbc0fc38a.png

Good catch.  I don't enable the option Show assisted search so I don't see that. 

Plus I pretty much keep the trash empty.  I'm confused enough as it is without leaving stuff around to rabbit hole into...

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CalS said:

I don't enable the option Show assisted search so I don't see that. 

I tend to just use keyword searches so I find this search information helpful to drill down if the initial search returns too many notes.  Locating notes in trash is a side benefit for me which I have found helpful a few times.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I tend to just use keyword searches so I find this search information helpful to drill down if the initial search returns too many notes.  Locating notes in trash is a side benefit for me which I have found helpful a few times.

Cool.  I tend to use tags and then words to winnow the results if need be.  That and the fact I predominantly do All Notes searches with very few notebooks sort of takes the gloss of the feature, my use case anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, CalS said:

Show assisted search

Could you please tell me what "Assisted Search" is? Google doesn't seem to know and the Evernote discussion forums don't say.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Could you please tell me what "Assisted Search" is? Google doesn't seem to know and the Evernote discussion forums don't say.

You will find it under Tools - Options - Search.  It will provide derivatives of your search term and reference whether the term appears in other notebooks.  I would turn it on and see how if feels for you.  Doesn't do much for me, but it is use case specific for sure.

With  ScreenClip.png.704a469d2309411edbf4139ecfe9390a.png

W/O  ScreenClip.png.1723c4c5b1a1dacc4c0cb4d77f71cc4e.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Aah. Thank you @CalS. I *wish* I could exlude one set of those searches selectively. Removing "trash" from the list would work well.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Aah. Thank you @CalS. I *wish* I could exlude one set of those searches selectively. Removing "trash" from the list would work well.

You are welcome.  Yeah, to not have Trash appear in assisted search Trash needs to be empty.  Though I don't think the notes referenced by Trash are actually in the note list unless you select Trash.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, CalS said:

You are welcome.  Yeah, to not have Trash appear in assisted search Trash needs to be empty.  Though I don't think the notes referenced by Trash are actually in the note list unless you select Trash.

That's correct, as far as I know; in fact, the notes in the result list don't contain any of the notes referenced in Assisted Search; they match just what you asked for. Assisted Search just gives you some hints in case you're not finding what you're looking for. Nice feature, that, including the inclusion of Trash, since people sometimes delete notes by mistake, I'm told...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...