greiggy

Jump anchors. And bookmarks?

Idea

I need navigation within long notes.

The concept of navigation and anchors within a note sits well with bookmarks, which have wider applications.

I am posting this within iOS Evernote because navigation is especially needed when working with a small mobile device – and often in a fluid situation rather than deskbound.

4 replies to this idea

2 hours ago, greiggy said:

I need navigation within long notes.

Hi.  Lots of previous discussion on this. Long story short,  a note that needs internal navigation is better off as a series of short notes linked by title, tags or keywords. 

I find it similar to mind mapping - any subject on which I'm writing a lengthy screed comes out as a series of ideas that vary widely in importance and relevance.  A mind map lets me create little notelets around the screen that I'll eventually (hopefully) link together in a logical order that may or may not have any relation to the order in which the points occurred. 

That's why long notes need editing - I'm moving paragraphs around,  correcting the logic and generally making a coherent argument out of whatever chaotic thoughts first came up.

Short notes are like the branches in a mind map.  I can create a note for each point,  save a search for the common title or tag, and see a list of all my notes on this subject whenever I wish.  I can create a parent Table of Contents note containing links to all my 'child' notes,  and I can move those links around in the ToC note until I like the order they're in.  Then I can either print all those notes in that order,  or just merge the notes into one.

Some users like to keep long diary notes - a year's worth of entries in one note.  Same argument though - just have a tag for the diary so you can find all the notes or one individual.  Added benefits include:

1. not scrolling for ages to find the current entry
  2. not losing all content to a corrupted note - at worst you may lose a day

It works for me,  but YMMV

Bore da, Gazumped, from just over the border!

I do use TOC notes sometimes, and it works well when it works, if you see what I mean. When standing in front of people I will always prefer to stay in one app and not at the mercy of wifi or internet or any complication.

However, my main point is about Evernote sustaining its development (this discussion has run five years!) and Evernote being aware of people's experience of competing applications and their rising expectations. 'Connectedness' has become a key value.

I am not a developer, but I would imagine that bookmarks and anchors would be quite straightforward, working from a x(h)tml base.

13 minutes ago, greiggy said:

working from a x(h)tml base.

The base format is enml

3 hours ago, greiggy said:

I would imagine that bookmarks and anchors would be quite straightforward,

Yeah.  So Evernote works on Windows (various versions) / Mac (various versions) / Android (various versions) / iOS (various versions) and the Web (only two current versions!) and has 250 million-ish customers (let's just call them 'Japan').  It's available worldwide and 24/7. 

Let's not talk about the huge range of devices and screen sizes they cover,  because around now my head starts to hurt.  If you make a change to the package that breaks any one of the millions of existing use cases...  someone will notice.  Loudly.  Invasions have happened with less incentive.

"Simple" and "straighforward" tend to go out the window when you have that much of a juggernaut trundling along behind you..  😁