Hi folks,

I am moving from win 7 to win 10 computer.  In win 7, pushing the "f9" key syncs evernote.  But in win 10, pushing "f9" opens the "cortana" search dialogue box ! 
How can I use key strokes to sync evernote on win 10 system without activating Cortana?

Thanks,

Rob

• Level 5*

It's a Windows key-jack - F9 is the default hotkey in Evernote still,  but if you have Cortana enabled she gets there first.  I happen to have surgically removed Cortana from my system (I really hate it when it talks back to me) so my F9 loyally runs sync.  If you use Cortana or can't find out how to gag her,  you could look into automation products like Phrase Express to bake your own work-around to Alt+T+S...

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's a Windows key-jack - F9 is the default hotkey in Evernote still,  but if you have Cortana enabled she gets there first.  I happen to have surgically removed Cortana from my system (I really hate it when it talks back to me) so my F9 loyally runs sync.  If you use Cortana or can't find out how to gag her,  you could look into automation products like Phrase Express to bake your own work-around to Alt+T+S...

Ditto, disabled Cortana and F9 is just fine.

• Like 1

Just a terminology clarification (at least when I talk about them!). In EN, F9 is an "accelerator". Cortana's F9 is a "hotkey". The difference is an accelerator will only work when an application has focus. A hotkey is a system wide hook that works no matter who has focus - as such, the app who registers first wins - and all others lose. It's a constant battle! (EN does have some hotkeys - these are configurable in the Options dialog. Accelerators are not configurable.)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

Just a terminology clarification (at least when I talk about them!). In EN, F9 is an "accelerator". Cortana's F9 is a "hotkey". The difference is an accelerator will only work when an application has focus. A hotkey is a system wide hook that works no matter who has focus - as such, the app who registers first wins - and all others lose. It's a constant battle! (EN does have some hotkeys - these are configurable in the Options dialog. Accelerators are not configurable.)

It's astounding to me that they'd choose a plain F-key as a hotkey. F9 for me is, and forever will be, Set Breakpoint. I'm sure it has a other long-running meanings in other applications. Win+<whatever>, OK, but not F-keys, unless there's a way to modify them.

• Like 1