TdeV

Search for a single tag

I just selected tag "sauce". What the results return are ANY tag "sauce", "sauce.cheese"

My ordinary view is all notes NOT including tag "Archive". With these two (ie.three) tags, thousands of notes are returned. I'm not interested in the results of changing query from ANY to ALL.

If I select ALL notes, and the same query (tag:sauce), then the results return ANY tag "sauce", "sauce.cheese" which is 32 notes.

I thought EN would return all notes with tag:sauce* because tags are now "nested", but it does not. (This is 173 notes)

Why?

TIA

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

I just selected tag "sauce". What the results return are ANY tag "sauce", "sauce.cheese"

Which platform/device?

Can you post a screenshot of your search.

My search would be coded in the search box as     tag:"sauce"

Without the tag:, you are doing text searches

>>I thought EN would return all notes with tag:sauce* because tags are now "nested", but it does not. 

Nesting is not a factor in tag searches.  edit: Correction - See @CalS post  below; it's a Windows option

The wildcard search is valid; the search will use all tags beginning with sauce

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

I thought EN would return all notes with tag:sauce* because tags are now "nested", but it does not. (This is 173 notes)

To search for all notes containing tags under a parent tag go to Tools - Options - Navigation  and select Automatically select child tags.  This creates an Any search for these tags.

In general a search for tag:sauce should only return notes tagged with sauce, a search for tag:sauce* should return any notes with tags beginning with sauce.  Works that way for me anyway.

• Like 1

@DTLow and @CalS, hi there. Turns out that the only tag nested under "sauce" was "sauce.cheese" which explains why they were both selected! 🤣

• Like 1