Saved searches and the unsearchable

How do you create a saved search for a note that uses unsearchable characters for the title?

I suppose I could create a tag for just such a note to use as a saved search, but I was hoping for some way of using the note link.  Barring that, I guess a special tag is currently the best available option.

Changing the title and using  special keywords in the body are a bit impractical for my use case in frequently changing notes.

I currently use shortcuts for this, but I tend to use saved searches to save space on the shortcut bar, and during particularly heavy sessions I remove all shortcuts except the ones I am currently working with, hence the additional need to backup and restore my regular shortcuts as saved searches.

It's an organizing issue, not really a big deal, just hoping for clues other than what  I already mentioned. 

(Yes, I do use Dashboards notes with links, and table of contents, just hoping to work with saved searches.)

(Platform options include Windows, Android & iOS, if that matters).

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Don Dz said:

How do you create a saved search for a note that uses unsearchable characters for the title?

I use / in my dates; for example 2019/04/19 and I search for 2019/04/19

I realize the / is dropped, but I still get useful results.

>>but I was hoping for some way of using the note link

The note link returns the note, regardless of special characters.  

It uses the note id (GUID), not the title.  The link is url evernote:///view/...

On 4/19/2019 at 8:07 PM, DTLow said:

The note link returns the note, regardless of special characters.  

It uses the note id (GUID), not the title.  The link is url evernote:///view/...

Can you use note link in saved searches?  That would be ideal somehow.

If not, your comment regarding using dates on the title makes me think perhaps a created date search could be used in a saved search to isolate a single note or a few notes, will have to figure how to limit it since it seems to search for every note after a given date.

• Level 5*
58 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Can you use note link in saved searches?  That would be ideal somehow.

No, the link would be within note contents; perhaps a Table of Contents note

>>will have to figure how to limit it since it seems to search for every note after a given date.

Something like      created:day-5 -created:day-4
  • Level 5*
On 4/19/2019 at 4:31 PM, Don Dz said:

Example of a note title with unsearchable characters?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

Okay.  Only thing I can think of is to put the special character in position in the search string, all of it surrounded by quotes.  

2 hours ago, CalS said:

Okay.  Only thing I can think of is to put the special character in position in the search string, all of it surrounded by quotes.  

Well, that character is the entire title, quotation marks don't make a difference in the search.  I have a number of single character titled notes like that.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Don Dz said:

∆ ... I have a number of single character titled notes like that.

As you said; an unsearchable title.

How about sort sequence.  In title sequence, do these notes sort to the top or bottom?

I'm liking your special tag idea

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Well, that character is the entire title, quotation marks don't make a difference in the search.  I have a number of single character titled notes like that.

Well if they are somewhat unique the tag idea is probably your best bet. 

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

As you said; an unsearchable title.

How about sort sequence.  In title sequence, do these notes sort to the top or bottom?

I'm liking your special tag idea

Funny thing is, EN searches special characters in tags just fine, just not in notes or titles.  I thought the issue was the editor they were using, until they changed the editor in the Windows client recently, now I don't know why for certain.

Sorting in Windows would be to the top, but I never sort by title personally.

Archived