SMCB

Note List Options

Idea

Hi!

I would just like to say I love this app.  I'm working on becoming paper free in my house scanning everything into it.  When I use the program on my desktop I can go into "List Note Options" and have the choice to reverse the sort order of the notes.  This feature isn't available when I use Evernote on my iPad Air 2.  Is there a reason this can't be done or could you please, please pretty please make a change so it does work on IOS?

As well as all of my documents I also use Evernote to track all of my medical history which is quite extensive and is filed by date.  When I need to find out something in a hurry I have to scroll through to the very bottom of the Notebook to get the most recent note.  Right now that's around 500 entries.   I use my iPad when I go to doctor appointments and it just takes too long to find things.

I hope this is something that you can fix.  I'm sure I can't be the only one that has this problem!

Thanks,

Sue

9 replies to this idea

53 minutes ago, SMCB said:

I also use Evernote to track all of my medical history which is quite extensive and is filed by date.  When I need to find out something in a hurry I have to scroll through to the very bottom of the Notebook to get the most recent note.  Right now that's around 500 entries.   I use my iPad when I go to doctor appointments and it just takes too long to find things.

I hope this is something that you can fix.  I'm sure I can't be the only one that has this problem!

Hi.  Why not use a specific notebook for your medical history,  and save each day's (or hour's) notes as separate notes with the date (and time,  if it's significant) in the title?  Sort that notebook by title and the latest note will be at the top.

Tip:  use yyyymmdd format for the date,  as in 20190412 1807 to correctly sort into a timeline.

Evernote generally works best with short notes - they're easier to manage,  and - should the worst happen,  and you lose or corrupt a note - all you lose is one event,  not an entire year of history!  (That doesn't replace keeping regular backups too,  though)  

Thanks for responding!

I have a separate notebook set up for medical and I name the notes with the date format yyyymmdd.  When I open the notebook the oldest entry is first all of the time.  I can switch the order of notes on my pc with no problem but my iPad doesn’t have an option to reverse the order.

Anymore ideas? 🙂

11 hours ago, SMCB said:

Anymore ideas? 🙂

Assuming that you still have access to searches,  what about a saved search for notebook:<medical> created:day-5 to get the last few days of notes in one screen?  The number of days is optional,  of course.

19 hours ago, SMCB said:

I use my iPad when I go to doctor appointments and it just takes too long to find things.

Additional sort options would be useful.  I added my vote to the request.

In the meantime, how about a table of contents note.  You can control that sort sequence.  Also, it gets rid of the clutter to only show the important stuff.

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

Assuming that you still have access to searches,  what about a saved search for notebook:<medical> created:day-5 to get the last few days of notes in one screen?  The number of days is optional,  of course.

I can still do searches but I’m not sure how to do what you are telling me.  Could you tell me the procedure so I can try it?

Thanks so much!

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

Additional sort options would be useful.  I added my vote to the request.

In the meantime, how about a table of contents note.  You can control that sort sequence.  Also, it gets rid of the clutter to only show the important stuff.

Thank you for your support on this!  Could you explain how to do this?

11 minutes ago, SMCB said:

I can still do searches but I’m not sure how to do what you are telling me.  Could you tell me the procedure so I can try it?

Thanks so much!

Literally you create a saved search containing the bolded text from my previous post - which is more easily done in my Windows desktop account - and save it as a shortcut.  When I open my Android app the shortcuts are still visible and usable.  Your mileage may vary in iOS,  but I can run a saved search and see a list of results on my mobile any time.  You can vary the minus number to change the previous period being looked for.  My current choices say:  "show me the notes from the notebook <medical> that were created in the past 5 days".

3 hours ago, SMCB said:

Thank you for your support on this!  Could you explain how to do this?

2008717417_ScreenShot2019-04-13at17_17_05.png.58a44aa24ad110b1068176538996a439.pngThe screenshot is a ToC note showing my daily jounal notes
It's just a list of links to notes

I can manually add entries one by one
Using my Mac, I can generate the entire list with a few clicks

----------------

Following up on @gazumped's date created search, my note list would be as shown below.  Still in the wrong sequence, but less notes to scroll through

1632939969_ScreenShot2019-04-13at19_58_47.png.40866d2831910d39a797b546045db6ac.png

Thank you so much for your help on this.  I’m going to give it a try.

• Like 1