Evernote keeps freezing on iPhone and iPad

I use my Evernote on three devices, my desktop/windows 10, my iPhone, and my iPad. Recently, Evernote keeps freezing on my iPhone and iPad. They both have the most recent updates. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote. And that still has not helped. When it freezes, I have to close down the program and re-open it, and it still does it for a few seconds, but it finally starts working.  But then it happens again , continuously, have to shut it down, over and over. This is very frustrating since I use Evernote a lot. I’m considering trying another  note taking app.  Any suggestions from anyone out there? I hope Evernote fixes this bug. I have used Evernote for years on two devices for free  and there was never any problem.   It was when I upgraded to three devices with a paid program that I eventually noticed this product problem.  Very frustrating to pay for a program and have it not work properly.

• Like 1

No, the EN is already open, and it freezes while using it and also when  I come back to the app when using others apps.  I have to close it, reopen, it’s still frozen for a few seconds, then it finally works.  Happens over and over.  

• Level 5

How good is your internet connection ?

Speed is one issue, but as well latency and packet losses. Because the mobile apps rely heavily on syncing in the background, this can affect the reaction behavior of the app. When an app „freezes“ and comes back by itself, it is not failing, but just busy with something else.

Example: If your WLAN access Point is connected to the router through a powerline network, overall speed may be good, but latency sucks.

I have excellent Internet high speed connection, and it only happens on my iPhone and iPad not my windows on my desktop.

All of my other apps work fine on my iPhone and iPad just the Evernote is having a problem

• Level 5

The desktop and mobile apps are fundamentally different.

The desktop clients (Win & Mac) use the local database to work on, and sync this into the cloud.

The mobile apps only load preview, all work is in the cloud or better on a single note loaded into the mobile client, and synced back into the cloud right after closing it. Thus the mobile apps rely completely on syncing down and up.

From my experience (iPhone 6S+/128 and iPad Pro 10.5/512) temporary freezing only happens when there is a search string in the search field. Then the search will be initiated when the app opens, which leads to the freezing. Once the search is through, the app comes back to life. Beside this szenario, or when the mobile data link is weak, the EN iOS app is responsive.

If this is not the case, it may help to shut the device off, or make a soft reset (see Apple support if you have never done this). By this, all the memory allocation will be refreshed, which often solves performance issues on i-devices.

• Level 5*
On 4/11/2019 at 4:25 PM, nenicholas said:

I have excellent Internet high speed connection, and it only happens on my iPhone and iPad not my windows on my desktop.

All of my other apps work fine on my iPhone and iPad just the Evernote is having a problem

Are you a heavy user of offline notebooks?  I'm not and am not having performance issues with the IOS app, did some months back but not with the current release.  IAC, sometimes a reinstall can remedy the problem. 

I have been experiencing the same issues recently - long time customer and this never used to happen but now happens all the time and is affecting my ability to work. Definitely thinking of switching. it does seem like it is happening when I have a search in place, leave the app and then come back but no matter how long I wait, it never resolves itself unless I terminate the app and restart which takes around 20-30 seconds. 

• Thanks 1

Jscales, Ditto,  i’ve rebooted my iPhone and iPad many times, makes no difference.  I have the most recent generation of iPad, and I have an iPhone 6s Plus and those are the wireless devices that I use.  The problem is not related to any searching.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

My iOS-app is still only freezing when I forgot to erase the search field. When the app is left, or the start screen kicks in, and is then reopened, it will appear frozen because it starts to search when the reloading is still not done.

When I force the app to close, and reopen, the search field is deleted by default, and the app is responsive again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

It is clearly a bug, even when there is a workaround. The conditions that make it happen are not clear to me. It looks as if the search starts before the app is ready to search, resulting in a deadlock.

Hope as well they fix it.

I have the same issue.  I'm on an iPhone 8 Plus -- everything else on my phone is fast and snappy, but Evernote keeps freezing with major delays from the search or favorites screen trying to get into notes.  It's becoming unusable and I've tried everything from restarting the app, restarting the phone and reinstalling the app.  Once I DO get into a note it seems to work fine and is very responsive.  This has been going on for over a year -- super frustrating! 

Same frustrating issue on iPad Pro and iPhone. App loads fine initially after reboot or being killed. If a search term is left in the search field and the iPad sleeps, the Evernote app will hang 100% of the time when the iPad is unlocked. It never recovers. The app has to be killed and restarted. If I am sure to clear the note search field (the one above the list of notes - not the one that appears above a single note), the app doesn't hang.

• Level 5

Close the app, reopen it, if there is a search text in the search field, hit the "cross-in-a-circle"-symbol to delete the text.

There is a second situation when the app will be slow to respond: Sometimes when you have created a lot of new content, the app will not be responsive until the new notes have been loaded. It will not load the entire notes, but previews, search text, tags etc. . You can note that this is going on by the "loading wheel" rotating at the top right of the iPad / top left of the iPhone screen. In this case, just wait until the loading is through, which may take some seconds depending on your internet connection.

When Evernote hangs, it crashes (actually I think iOS kills it judging by the log).  However, when I reopen the app, the search field is still populated, so it still winds up hung on the previous search, so the search field *can't* be cleared.

However, It seems if I can force kill the app from the iOS app switcher *before* iOS kills it, then when it restarts the search field is empty.

Unfortunately searching for a note, switching to Safari/Mail and switching back to the note causing the hang/crash loop seems to be something I tend to do pretty often.

Me and my wife have both independently been experience this exact issue. I find myself very often going to write a quick note and it freezes or takes forever to allow me to do anything in the app. I end up just opening up my apple Notes app or OmniFocus to take a note.

I have attempted to download all notes to offline and it doesn't speed it up. I have tried reinstalling the app, same issue. 

I don't recall this app being this.... bad. It's getting to be unusable for me. After reading this thread at least I know I am not the only one having this issue.

Does EverNote even recognize this issue? Are they working on a fix?

I have the same problem to: freezing, especially if the search field is not cleared after previously using the app. Force killing the app from the iOS app switcher is the only way I’ve found to resolve it. 

This happened on my last iPhone (iPhone 8) and still happens on my new iPhone (XS) and my 11” iPad Pro. I’ve tried reinstalling / redownloading offline notebooks. Nothing fixes it. 

I’m reaching the end of my patience with Evernote. Ive been a paid user for years and have slowly seen the price go up and the bloatware go up while the core functionality and stability has gone down.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

What version of the app?  I can't replicate this.  If I return to the app it is where I left it.  If I close the app and reopen the search is cleared and I am in all notes.

• Level 5

As I have posted above, IMHO there are two independent issues:

- When there is something in the search field, and you leave the app to open some other, and return then to EN, It freezes. Solution: Kill the app, which will clear the search field, and reopen it. This works for me 100/100, on iPad Pro and iPhone. And yes, it is a bloody nuisance.

- Sometimes, when I open the app, it is unresponsive. This happens typically after I have entered a lot of new information through my Mac or Win client. Then the wheel of online traffic will be turning, and the app will not react while it is sucking in all the new metadata (the notes itself stay on the server with iOS ). The app is not frozen, just busy. Solution: Wait a few seconds, until the data traffic is through.

Setting up the right circumstances, I can reproduce both cases.

• Like 1

This happens to me constantly on iPad Pro 2018!! Sometimes I have to force quit the app 3 or 4 times before it starts working. Evernote is my primary work app, and it happens 3-7 times per day. It’s driving me crazy. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, turning iPad off and on. Totally unacceptable. 

• Level 5

My observation about the apps behavior when restarting:

If there is a search string in the search text field, and the app is left (but still open), when coming back to the app it will freeze. It seems that the search will start once the app is open, right into a deadlock with restarting. It does not matter what text string, any intro in this field will lead to a "search-freeze".

The only workaround (this is clearly no "solution") is to close the app and restart it. When it opens, my impression is that the text string is still there. Then it seems there is some initializing going on, the screen goes away, comes back, and shortly after the app is usable again.

Uninstalling or setting the iPad back does not seem to affect things. This is buggy, not a once-in-a-time iOS confusion.

Very weird ! Very obstructive to the workflow !

What I do not observe: Multiple attempts until it recovers. One close-open is always sufficient to get things back. Sometimes it takes a little after restarting until it reacts, but in these cases you can see the data connection wheel spinning, meaning that there is a sync going on.

• Level 5

Just to keep this thread current:

Yesterday I have tried to reproduce the freezing to send a video clip about it to the support team.

Well, as I say I tried: No freezing !

Support came back to me today and told that they believe the freezing was solved (or at least reduced to some unknown sequence of events) with the latest iOS app release as of 24th of April 2019. I am now on ver 8.20.369737 of the EN app, with iOS 12.2. What I have now is a new search text field that opened above the rightmost column, where the individual notes are displayed. I have no problem with this, even when I do not understand why it was placed there - if you observe the same it probably means we are on the same version.

As I could not freeze the app as before, I would like to call it a day concerning this issue. But as many of you had the same issue, maybe you could update (if necessary), try as well and give some feedback.

Would be good if this is out of our workflows for the future. Still enough to do on the iOS app, IMHO ...

I had the same problem on both iPhone X and iPad Pro 2nd gen for the past few weeks but resolved within the last few days without any intervention on both devices.

It still keeps freezing in my case. Specifically, if I do a search from within a specific notebook, rather than the general search, and leave the search string in the search field, the App inevitably freezes when re-opened. 

• Level 5

If this is that, check for the app version. My problem was solved with upgrading to 8.20.369737. I have upgraded tonight to iOS 12.3., and have not used EN since, but with iOS 12.2. and this app version, things were o.k.

If not, it may help to upgrade the app and clean out system residue: Open EN, sync, close the app, completely switch the iOS device off and restart it (maybe even with the option described in the apple support base for a system cleanup - how depends on having a home button or not).

If it still does not work, deinstall and reinstall, again with a full system restart in between.

And if ist still does not work, get to the guys in support. They told me on my ticket that the freezing-on-search is solved, and my experience is that this is indeed settled (iOS and app see above, iPhone 6S+ and iPad Pro 10.5).

Hint: When I open EN, especially on a weak connection and after doing some work on the cloud based data through my other devices (Mac, Win-PC or web), it may seem as being frozen for some seconds. It is not, it is just syncing, visible at the little wheel Turing at the top of the screen.

Same problem. Evernote freezes on my iPad Pro with ‘No Note Selected” showing in the note frame. Does not recover no matter how long I wait. Have to close Evernote and reopen. Sometimes it takes takes several tries to get it to work. I have current IOS and Evernote versions. Followed advice of support and completely removed Evernote and reinstalled. Then reloaded my notes. No improvement at all. This completely destroys the utility of Evernote for me. The issue is definitely not fixed in my case and I find the congratulations extended above premature.

• Level 5

Thanks for the comment. My congratulations are mature, because on my devices it went bad some time ago, and is now and still fixed. Since the new release I had no search-freezes any more, not on iPad nor on iPhone, not on WLAN nor on mobile data (4G+3G), not with 12.2 or 12.3.

I am far away to think that by this, anybody has to experience the same - even when iOS is typically much more stable with solving issues on all devices because the devices are well designed, and get fresh OS-releases every few months.

So if you still have trouble, and as a premium user, I think a support ticket is the logical next step. Would be nice if you keep us posted about how it evolves. There is always „one more thing“ to learn.

The search freeze problem went away for a few days this past week corroborating the comment from others that it was fixed.

However, the problem reappeared for me starting Thursday 5/16.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:06 AM, CalS said:

What version of the app?  I can't replicate this.  If I return to the app it is where I left it.  If I close the app and reopen the search is cleared and I am in all notes.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Evernote app when I made the original post, so it is the most recent version.

On 5/13/2019 at 5:28 PM, PinkElephant said:

Nice talk, but late to the party.

The problem was IMHO solved with the last update of the iOS app; since updating I was not able to reproduce the freezing-from-searchtext.

Well done, Evernote team !

Not true, I have the most recent version of iOS and Evernote and it is still happening.

• Level 5

Today I have had a sort of freezing as well again.

What was different to before: While the app did nothing, the data connection wheel kept spinning and spinning. In the end I force -closed the app, waited a few seconds, reopened and things were o.k. again. 

Now I had regrouped a lot of notes a few days ago, like tagging, moving from inbox into the destination notebooks, merging and deleting notebooks etc.  This alone was worth more than 1 GB of upload consumption, because EN treats all this as new content. 

The iOS client does not hold note content, but still a lot of overhead / metadata. So first I can not reproduce this, because I will not redo that many notes in the next future. But I will observe if it was a one-timer (then probably caused by a lot of syncing), or if it will happen again.

If this takes place, I will go straight to reopen the support ticket on this that was closed when the new client version got released. For serious work on the database, I use the Mac or Windows clients, but most of my EN day to day retrieval happens on my iPad. I want this to perform dead sure when I need it.

• Like 1

The problem resolved a few weeks ago but it happened again today. Same thing as PinkElephant but without heavy syncing. iOS 12 iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen.

Hey everyone,

Looks like for most this issue has been solved but even w the latest app and iOS updates it wasn’t for me, either on my iPad 11 or iPhone 8.  What I found to be the culprit was the Siri option in Control Center app settings.  Not sure why, but once I turned off “Siri and Search” >”Siri and Suggestions” options for Evernote I no longer have the hanging problem on either device (after app close and restart).  Was a super-frustrating issue and nothing else was working, so hopefully for those who may still have the problem this will help.

• Thanks 1

My iPhone X has the issue, and I have not been able to use Evernote on it for a couple of weeks. No help in killing it. iOS 12.3.1.

Is anything happening about it?

On 5/27/2019 at 12:32 AM, KevinG99 said:

Hey everyone,

Looks like for most this issue has been solved but even w the latest app and iOS updates it wasn’t for me, either on my iPad 11 or iPhone 8.  What I found to be the culprit was the Siri option in Control Center app settings.  Not sure why, but once I turned off “Siri and Search” >”Siri and Suggestions” options for Evernote I no longer have the hanging problem on either device (after app close and restart).  Was a super-frustrating issue and nothing else was working, so hopefully for those who may still have the problem this will help.

The freezing is driving me mad too. Thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 months later...
On 5/26/2019 at 7:32 AM, KevinG99 said:

Hey everyone,

KevinG99:  Thank you so much, I tried this and that seems to have solved the problem!

• Level 5

@KevinG99 To dive a little deeper into this: You say your freezing went away when you deactivated „Siri & suggestions“ in the Siri settings for Evernote.

Was the last option on this page „Use with Siri“ activated as well, when you had the freezing problem ?

I do not have freezing, have the Siri option activated, but have „since ever“ the option „Use with Siri“ OFF.

• 4 years later...