nenicholas

Evernote keeps freezing on iPhone and iPad

I use my Evernote on three devices, my desktop/windows 10, my iPhone, and my iPad. Recently, Evernote keeps freezing on my iPhone and iPad. They both have the most recent updates. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Evernote. And that still has not helped. When it freezes, I have to close down the program and re-open it, and it still does it for a few seconds, but it finally starts working.  But then it happens again , continuously, have to shut it down, over and over. This is very frustrating since I use Evernote a lot. I’m considering trying another  note taking app.  Any suggestions from anyone out there? I hope Evernote fixes this bug. I have used Evernote for years on two devices for free  and there was never any problem.   It was when I upgraded to three devices with a paid program that I eventually noticed this product problem.  Very frustrating to pay for a program and have it not work properly.

Hey, Does it happen when you Try to open the EN?

If so, then here is another post about it:

No, the EN is already open, and it freezes while using it and also when  I come back to the app when using others apps.  I have to close it, reopen, it’s still frozen for a few seconds, then it finally works.  Happens over and over.  

So how many devices does it freeze on?

How good is your internet connection ?

Speed is one issue, but as well latency and packet losses. Because the mobile apps rely heavily on syncing in the background, this can affect the reaction behavior of the app. When an app „freezes“ and comes back by itself, it is not failing, but just busy with something else.

Example: If your WLAN access Point is connected to the router through a powerline network, overall speed may be good, but latency sucks.

I have excellent Internet high speed connection, and it only happens on my iPhone and iPad not my windows on my desktop.

All of my other apps work fine on my iPhone and iPad just the Evernote is having a problem

The desktop and mobile apps are fundamentally different.

The desktop clients (Win & Mac) use the local database to work on, and sync this into the cloud.

The mobile apps only load preview, all work is in the cloud or better on a single note loaded into the mobile client, and synced back into the cloud right after closing it. Thus the mobile apps rely completely on syncing down and up.

From my experience (iPhone 6S+/128 and iPad Pro 10.5/512) temporary freezing only happens when there is a search string in the search field. Then the search will be initiated when the app opens, which leads to the freezing. Once the search is through, the app comes back to life. Beside this szenario, or when the mobile data link is weak, the EN iOS app is responsive.

If this is not the case, it may help to shut the device off, or make a soft reset (see Apple support if you have never done this). By this, all the memory allocation will be refreshed, which often solves performance issues on i-devices.

On 4/11/2019 at 4:25 PM, nenicholas said:

I have excellent Internet high speed connection, and it only happens on my iPhone and iPad not my windows on my desktop.

All of my other apps work fine on my iPhone and iPad just the Evernote is having a problem

Are you a heavy user of offline notebooks?  I'm not and am not having performance issues with the IOS app, did some months back but not with the current release.  IAC, sometimes a reinstall can remedy the problem. 

I have been experiencing the same issues recently - long time customer and this never used to happen but now happens all the time and is affecting my ability to work. Definitely thinking of switching. it does seem like it is happening when I have a search in place, leave the app and then come back but no matter how long I wait, it never resolves itself unless I terminate the app and restart which takes around 20-30 seconds. 

Jscales, Ditto,  i’ve rebooted my iPhone and iPad many times, makes no difference.  I have the most recent generation of iPad, and I have an iPhone 6s Plus and those are the wireless devices that I use.  The problem is not related to any searching.

My iOS-app is still only freezing when I forgot to erase the search field. When the app is left, or the start screen kicks in, and is then reopened, it will appear frozen because it starts to search when the reloading is still not done.

When I force the app to close, and reopen, the search field is deleted by default, and the app is responsive again.