How to rotate pdfs

pencat5564

Idea

I am really stunned that there seems to be no way that doesn't take multiple steps to rotate a pdf in Evernote.  I have tried opening, rotating and saving in Preview, as I used to be able to do, but now it only says that I have to save a copy somewhere, and then I have to drag it back into Evernote.  Is there really no easier way to do this?

15 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, pencat5564 said:

I am really stunned that there seems to be no way that doesn't take multiple steps to rotate a pdf in Evernote.  I have tried opening, rotating and saving in Preview, as I used to be able to do, but now it only says that I have to save a copy somewhere, and then I have to drag it back into Evernote.  Is there really no easier way to do this?

Windows? Mac? Android? iOS? Web?

On Windows, since Evernote doesn't have a PDF editor of its own, you'll typically need to rely on a 3rd-party editor to do that.

• Level 5

My workflow to sort out pdf issues:

- Create the note, for example via scanning from the ix500 directly into EN windows. There may be some pages not oriented correctly, there may be some rear pages filled with junk, whatever.

Check if you  really  have to clean up the  Clutter. If the pdf is for documentation purposes only, why not leave it as it is. The search will find it anyhow, and do you really want to invest a chunk of your lifetime into reworking the informational entropy ?

- Sync into the EN cloud.

- Open the note in the iOS app. Load the pdf attachment. Open via „share“ in PDF Expert.

- Edit the pdf there (supereasy on any iPad with pencil support), save it into pdf Expert.

- Select the saved pdf there and create a new note in EN on the iPad by sharing it to EN.

- Sync, delete the original note with the mistakes, sync again.

Yes, it seems like many steps. But because pdf Expert is such a nice app to handle PDFs, I prefer it over trying to do the same on my Win-10-machine. And I am most likely faster even when I switch platforms in between.

I use Evernote on my Mac and iPhone.  This happens when I scan a document into Evernote using ScanSnap which is supposed to auto rotate, but doesn't always do it.  I know that with images, you can rotate them within the Evernote app and they save directly in Evernote.  My issue is that I am scanning pages of personal letters for archival purposes, but also to be able to share them with family members to read them, so it does matter if one of the pages is upside down or sideways and therefore quite difficult to read.

Pink Elephant - is PDF Expert an app for IOS? 

• Level 5*
On 4/11/2019 at 7:03 AM, pencat5564 said:

I am really stunned that there seems to be no way that doesn't take multiple steps to rotate a pdf in Evernote.  I have tried opening, rotating and saving in Preview, as I used to be able to do, but now it only says that I have to save a copy somewhere, and then I have to drag it back into Evernote. 

Is this an Evernote question?

On a Mac, I would open the pdf in the Preview app and rotate pages
No problem with "save a copy somewhere" - not with current Evernote versions

• Thanks 1

These are the steps I have to do now:  open the PDF from Evernote with Preview in Mac, rotate the pages, save the copy of the PDF on my desktop or elsewhere on my Mac, drag the new PDF into Evernote, delete the old PDF, and then delete the revised PDF from my Mac.  You used to be able to rotate a PDF in Preview from Evernote and then the PDF would just save right back into Evernote without all the extra saving, dragging, and deleting.  That just seems like a lot of steps, but if that's the only way do it, oh well...  

I guess I need to submit a feature request for this to Evernote.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, pencat5564 said:

These are the steps I have to do now: ...  That just seems like a lot of steps, but if that's the only way do it, oh well...  

Can you share th version you're using

I'm using MacOS 10.14.2 (Mojave) Version Version 7.10 Beta 1 (457647 Direct)

I right-click on the pdf > Open With > PreviewScreen Shot 2019-04-12 at 14.36.02.png
Rotate Pages
Save
The pdf in Evernote is updated automatically

• Level 5*

I appreciate it's not for everyone,  but my take on the above is always to scan to (Windows) folder.  Then I can rename and OCR/ edit files using Acrobat and transfer them to Evernote in one batch.  Rotating (if necessary) and straightening are part of standard OCR.

• Level 5*
On 4/11/2019 at 7:03 AM, pencat5564 said:

but now it only says that I have to save a copy somewhere, and then I have to drag it back into Evernote. 

Can you post a screenshot of this issue?  I'm not seeing it on my Mac

I'm having this issue, too. When I open a note on Win10 that scanned in upside down for some reason in ScanSnap I go to the annotate option and click the ellipsis menu (3 dots) and the rotate options are greyed out

10.79.3-win-ddl-public (20240307101007)
Editor: v177.6.1
Service: v1.95.0
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Edited by dschmid
More detail
  • Level 5

You have this issue …

You use legacy ? Legacy is unsupported, that’s it.

You don’t use legacy ? Then you don’t have „the same problem“. In 2019 the software you use didn’t even exist.

Start with posting information about the client you use.

I believe this is the up to date client I am using on Win10/64. My ScanSnap software is set to scan to OCR PDF and automatically rotate the image, although that function doesn't always work. I have not found any way to rotate the PDF note in the Win64 client. Going to the ellipsis menu within the 'Annotate This PDF' menu shows Rotate clockwise, Rotate counterclockwise, Flip Horizontally, Flip Vertically, Select All Annotations, Clear Annotations - all of them are greyed out. The only options that aren't within that menu are Fit in Window or Fit page width. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dschmid said:

I believe this is the up to date client I am using on Win10/64. My ScanSnap software is set to scan to OCR PDF and automatically rotate the image, although that function doesn't always work. I have not found any way to rotate the PDF note in the Win64 client. Going to the ellipsis menu within the 'Annotate This PDF' menu shows Rotate clockwise, Rotate counterclockwise, Flip Horizontally, Flip Vertically, Select All Annotations, Clear Annotations - all of them are greyed out. The only options that aren't within that menu are Fit in Window or Fit page width. 

I agree the bottom icons are greyed out - I tend to scan to folder and check for scanning errors in that folder before sending the scan to Evernote.  I'd suggest raising a support ticket so it gets fixed,  and using an external PDF editor for now...