Mac OS 10.14.4 Notification re: Scansnap

I'm sorry....I"m probably posting the same things someone else has, but I've looked for an hour and can't find this topic. I purchased a (rather expensive) Scansnap Evernote Edition scanner that now requires an updated app for Mac OS Mojave. I keep getting a popup about needing to update it soon. I see that Fujitsu released a 64 bit version of their Scansnap software for Mojave, but can find NOT ONE SINGLE THING from Evernote about this. I do see that because I no longer pay for Evernote, I cannot even submit a support ticket!! How irritating! 

So my question is: has EN issued any news regarding updating the Scanner software? Or should I sell this scanner, tell all my friends I recommended it to to do the same, and get a new Fujitsu? 

• Like 1

I have submitted a ticket for this problem, since it is really annoying that I can only use the scanner via USB connection, which is the only solution that works out of the two provided by Fujitsu. The other workaround was to connect the scanner to the WiFi using the ScanSnap Wireless setup tool, which in fact does connect the scanner to the WiFi, but still doesn’t solve the issue that the ScanSnap Evernote application fails to detect that my computer is connected to a wireless network; hence, keep getting the message “to enable wi-fi scanning, connect your computer to a wireless network”. It seems like Evernote completely forgot they have this product, it is frustrating that scanners that cost half the price of this expensive unit have been updated to work with the latest Mac OS update. 

• Like 3

That's what I think, Evernote seems to have forgotten this scanner, which only fuels my lack of desire to pay for premium membership with them. I find if I open the scanner and let it sit, it sometimes still finds the wifi connection, but there is still the problem of the error message indicating a 64-bit software will soon be required, rending THIS Scanner useless. I appreciate that you opened a ticket- I am unable to without paying for premium membership. 

I am having this same issue, but I am a Premium member of Evernote and a very dependent user.  I have two ScanSnap printers -- one at my home office (Evernote version) and one at my "office office" (ix500).  Both of them stopped working when I upgraded to Mojave, but I was able to easily fix the ix500 with a software/driver upgrade.  When I try to reinstall the Evernote for ScanSnap driver/software, I get a message saying that "installation failed."  Fujitsu is not able to support the scanner and gave me a phone number to call which sent me to Evernote billing.  I submitted a support ticket, but the ticket forces you to choose a device about which you are writing, and the scanner isn't an option.  I had to choose "Evernote for Salesforce" in order to submit the ticket, so I have no idea if I will get a response.  Help!! I spent $500 on this scanner and don't want to have to spend it again because of compatibility issues.  #beggingyou #anyoneoutthere #donthavetimeforthis

• Ex Employees

Fujitsu, the manufacturer of the ScanSnap Evernote Edition Scanner is working on making the scanner's software and hardware drivers fully compatible and 64 bit. More information about 64-bit updates from Fujitsu can be found here: http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/faq/macos10134.html

For this scanner's general compatibility and wi-fi compatibility with macOS 10.14 Mojave, please see the article on Fujitsu's website here: http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/scansnap/faq/ssee-mojave.html

Peripheral updates to any hardware device from 3rd parties like Fujitsu after Apple updates their operating system can take some time past the initial OS release. This is outside of Evernote's control as the drivers are developed by Fujitsu. It is recommended to keep an eye on the device manufacturer's compatibility page to wait until they confirm full compatibility with that OS before updating, to hopefully not encounter an OS update causing issues with your hardware in the future. 

For the installation issues it sounds like you're encountering, please first check your Applications folder on your Mac to ensure the ScanSnap Manager Evernote Edition software is not already installed. We've heard some  similar reports of this. Past this, please ensure Evernote is also installed first before installing the ScanSnap Manager Evernote Edition software. I've followed up in your support ticket to further troubleshoot.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi @Jay-Bob,

Thanks for replying. However, I'm really starting to question Evernote's future. I've been a (paying) customer for quite a while and have the sense that Evernote is barely managing to keep up with other market options, let-alone demonstrate leadership in the space. 

Frankly, I find it annoying that Evernote is trying to point fingers at a partner for flaws in this process rather than to show accountability. My hypothesis is that customers who buy scanners were/are power users and committed to Evernote (above average). It's a shame that these are the customers that are being alienated. 

My guess is that Evernote committed to sell a lot more scanners for Fujitsu. You haven't been able to hit your numbers and now Fujitsu isn't too motivated to support an ancillary platform. Now most buyers of the scanner are probably wishing they'd bought the regular IX-500. 

Yes, some software suppliers are slow in updating for Mojave compatibility, but how can Evernote defend selling a product under the Evernote name and brand and not meet update requirements 1/3 of a year later (Mojave was released September 24, 2018). Implying it's the customers fault for not reading update notes is beyond ridiculous. I have more than 100 applications on my system. I expect them to perform and keep up to date. The ones that don't get cut (read between the lines). 

Yes, Fujitsu needs to play their part. But, we as Evernote customers don't care whose fault it is. It's an internal issue between you and and Fujitsu. You sold us the devise touting all the benefits and now you've really dropped the ball. You need to be communicating much more proactively here (why do customers need to come to you and complain? Why hasn't anybody reached out and tried to transparently tackle the issue head on?)

It's seriously your last chance, or I for one will take my business elsewhere.

Best,
Mark

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Hallpower said:

My guess is that Evernote committed to sell a lot more scanners for Fujitsu...It's seriously your last chance, or I for one will take my business elsewhere.

If you have a problem with a Fujitsu product, you should be addressing it with Fujitsu.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Hallpower said:

Frankly, I find it annoying that Evernote is trying to point fingers at a partner for flaws in this process rather than to show accountability. 

As I understand it, the Scansnap Evernote edition scanner is basically an iX500 but with specialized software and driver for the Evernote branded scanner.  Fujitsu updated their generic iX500 sofware first - no surprise there, but it sounds like they are working on the Evernote specific software.  Evernote is not pointing fingers, they are just waiting for the responsible party to provide the updates.

19 hours ago, DTLow said:

If you have a problem with a Fujitsu product, you should be addressing it with Fujitsu.

@DTLow, to be clear: I'm not trying to troll the Evernote forum. The product is co-branded by Evernote and was advertised by and sold to me directly by Evernote. If nothing else, Evernote is the vendor from whom I bought the much advertised product, which is no longer working as advertised. As such, I am addressing my issues with my contractual counterparty.

I expect that Evernote has much better access to people at Fujitsu than I do. I expect Evernote to work together with Fujitsu to make sure that the updates are released in a timely manner. I believe this is not an unreasonable expectation. 

• Like 3
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Hallpower said:

to be clear: I'm not trying to troll the Evernote forum. ...
I am addressing ...
I expect ...
I believe ...

Whatever

In the meantime, address the problem with Fujitsu.  They are the party delivering the solution.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input, I contacted Fujitsu just after I first posted my issue in the forum, and well as of for now my only option is to use the USB cable and wait for the update, which hopefully will be available before there is a new Mac OS update  🤣. It Is just a bit frustrating that an update is available for the other scanners in their lineup, and not for the Evernote Edition. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 1/16/2019 at 11:33 AM, rosamar08 said:

as of for now my only option is to use the USB cable and wait for the update

USB cable seems like a simple workable work-around, but only if you have a computer available.

Are there other solutions if no computer is available?

• Level 5*
On 1/20/2019 at 7:47 AM, Dominique-Alain JAN said:

I am quite chocked by the tone in @DTLow's replies; moreover when his profile claims "Super guru". I am totally with @Hallpower on the fact that Evernote has co-responsability when branding and selling a product such as the Fuji ScanSnap Evernote Edition.

Thanks for the status report; moreover your profile claims "Member" (it's based on # of posts).
We're all "chocked" by this issue.

Yes, there was co-something with branding and selling
However, my understanding is today we're dealing with an upgrade to the Fujitsu software for OS Mojave

While I also didn't appreciate @DTLow's tone, there is a certain pragmatism to his point. I've contacted Fujitsu (to get on their nerves). If anybody else would like to push Fujitsu as well, here is the link to the relevant contact page: 

https://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/products/computing/peripheral/scanners/contacts/fi-series-contact.html

It says this is for the fi-series, but ScanSnap scanners are available from the support dropdown (and the Scansnap page doesn't seem to offer a separate contact option, at least that I could find). 

@Jay-Bob (CC @DTLow), I just received the response from Fujitsu support:

Für den Support des ix500 Evernote Edition ist Evernote zuständig, wir können für diesen Scanner keinen Support anbieten.

Ich bitte um Ihr Verständnis.

Translation:

"Evernote is responsible for ix500 Evernote Edition support. We cannot offer any support. 

I thank you for your understanding."

This is really shaping up nicely... Now what?

@EverNote please let me know if you'd like me to forward the original support response.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Hallpower said:

@EverNote please let me know if you'd like me to forward the original support response.

Hi.  Sadly,  that link won't actually get to Evernote support - if you raised a support ticket,  you could forward it to the same ticket number,  which might help scare out some comment...

Is there any roadmap from Evernote for an update of the ix500 Event Edition for Mac OS X Mojave?

Fuji has released the update in December, it shouldn't be too difficult to make an Evernote version out of it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 1/27/2019 at 10:09 AM, motivier said:

Is there any roadmap from Evernote for an update of the ix500 Event Edition for Mac OS X Mojave?

Fuji has released the update in December, it shouldn't be too difficult to make an Evernote version out of it.

Hi.  Evernote don't usually comment on upcoming fixes and in this instance may be (or have been) waiting on Fujitsu to update their application.  Best advice would be to raise a support ticket to at least register your concerns...

• Like 1

@Gazumped, Fujitsu HAS updated their application. The ball is now in Evernote's court to pull the update into their own driver. Further, unless you are a premium (paid) user, you cannot raise a support ticket. It's impossible, I have tried (obviously I am not a premium user).

Since the Fujitsu driver has been available for a month, I feel like Evernote should have been able to quickly do their own update by now. I'm thinking we've paid for these expensive scanners that are now not functioning properly. Is that worth suing a company over? I don't know. I'm thinking it's worth bad word-of-mouth advertising as far as I can spread it. So, so, so disappointed.

• Level 5*

@GrammaKathleen - sorry;  that support ticket comment was aimed at the premium user above (though if you use Twitter,  you can get hold of Evernote on @EvernoteHelps). 

I really don't know who is dragging their feet on this - typically for an issue involving more than one company,  users are running between the players and getting different information from both.  Unless and until there's a definitive official statement from someone dissatisfaction continues...

• Ex Employees
7 minutes ago, GrammaKathleen said:

@Gazumped, Fujitsu HAS updated their application. The ball is now in Evernote's court to pull the update into their own driver. Further, unless you are a premium (paid) user, you cannot raise a support ticket. It's impossible, I have tried (obviously I am not a premium user).

Since the Fujitsu driver has been available for a month, I feel like Evernote should have been able to quickly do their own update by now. I'm thinking we've paid for these expensive scanners that are now not functioning properly. Is that worth suing a company over? I don't know. I'm thinking it's worth bad word-of-mouth advertising as far as I can spread it. So, so, so disappointed.

Hi there, Fujitsu has updated drivers for certain scanners they manufacture, but they have not yet updated the drivers for the ScanSnap Evernote Edition Scanner. Fujitsu is the hardware manufacturer of this device and they have updated the drivers for each device after an OS update. We're in discussion with Fujitsu but do not have an estimate on when to expect these drivers to be available if you have already updated to macOS Mojave.

• Like 4
17 hours ago, Jay-Bob said:

Hi there, Fujitsu has updated drivers for certain scanners they manufacture, but they have not yet updated the drivers for the ScanSnap Evernote Edition Scanner. Fujitsu is the hardware manufacturer of this device and they have updated the drivers for each device after an OS update. We're in discussion with Fujitsu but do not have an estimate on when to expect these drivers to be available if you have already updated to macOS Mojave.

As I understand it, the Scansnap Evernote edition scanner is basically an iX500 but with specialized software and driver for the Evernote. Fujitsu updatetheir generic iX500 sofware in December. Mojave was released in September.

So why does it take so long for Evernote to discuss the update of the driver for the Evernote branded scanner, which can’t be that much different to a standard iX500?
Is it money?

I’m already supporting Evernote as premium user, but I’m not getting the premium support in this case.

On 1/15/2019 at 9:49 AM, Hallpower said:

Yes, some software suppliers are slow in updating for Mojave compatibility, but how can Evernote defend selling a product under the Evernote name and brand and not meet update requirements 1/3 of a year later (Mojave was released September 24, 2018). Implying it's the customers fault for not reading update notes is beyond ridiculous. I have more than 100 applications on my system. I expect them to perform and keep up to date. The ones that don't get cut (read between the lines). 

Yes, Fujitsu needs to play their part. But, we as Evernote customers don't care whose fault it is. It's an internal issue between you and and Fujitsu. You sold us the devise touting all the benefits and now you've really dropped the ball. You need to be communicating much more proactively here (why do customers need to come to you and complain? Why hasn't anybody reached out and tried to transparently tackle the issue head on?)

It's seriously your last chance, or I for one will take my business elsewhere. https://www.pfu.fujitsu.com/imaging/ssacc/en/start_download_21.htmlt

Mark:

While I can understand, and share your frustration, get real, dude. The guy from Evernote is just telling you what's going on. The reason that we have an Evernote Fujitsu scanner is because companies like Fujitsu couldn't have given a rat's ass about the small biz and home market FOR YEARS. You want to be neglected? Go try and deal with them for a while.  I used to, before Evernote. It wasn't pretty.

Why is it late for the Mac? Mac rides the back of the bus at a PC-driven company like Fujitsu.

The software that you're complaining about is made by Fujitsu, not Evernote. To try and run them for not making you happy may give you 90 seconds of feel-good, but Evernote is still a solid product, and it works religiously well across all kinds of devices. I just lost my computer, and EVERYTHING, thousands of scans, was backed up and available immediately. Please go try that with Fujitsu home's cloud and see how you do. Oh, and good luck reading documents on your iphone, iPad, etc. They don't support it.

Evernote can weigh in, and they do, but, when you third-party a product, you're always at the mercy of the mechanical supplier. Don't believe me? Ask any software company that has worked with Microsoft, or Apple.  It's not terribly unusual for it to take a month or two longer for third-parties like Fujitsu to deal with Apple OS upgrades.

Also, for those with connectivity problems with the OS and ScanSnap, that's another Fujitsu problem, with Apple. Not Evernote.

So, bluster aside, the problem lies with the ScanSnap software. They have to provide the upgrade.

@applejedi1, the point that I'm trying to make, is that Evernote chose to partner with Fujitsu and sell a co-branded product to their customers. They are responsible for the partnership and accountable to their customers for the user experience. When I buy a Macbook from Apple and the hard drive breaks, I run to Apple to get it fixed, not Samsung... 

What I feel shouldn't happen in this type of partnership, is that the customer is left to deal with the problem and no party feels responsible/accountable. This is currently the case in that Evernote is pointing at Fujitsu, and Fujitsu (at least on one occasion) has pointed the finger right back at Evernote. The customer is left somewhere in the middle with no clear idea over who to turn to. It's not the best after sales experience. 

We're in discussion with Fujitsu but do not have an estimate on when to expect these drivers to be available if you have already updated to macOS Mojave.

I'm glad @Jay-Bob made the above statement. While I would have of course preferred an ETA, at least I have the sense that someone is aware of the issue and working to resolve it. I would have liked ideally to be approached proactively with such a statement, rather than having to search support forums for solutions. 

I too just spent an hour trying to make it work. As a paying customer, it is frustrating.  In the end, we paid Evernote for a scanner manufactured by Fujitsu. Apple updated their OS, we updated, now we have large hunks of useless electronics on our desks.  I've tried switching to other applications with no luck. If I have to get a new scanner, it probably won't be a Fujitsu :-(

Thank you to everyone trying to get this resolved. Fingers crossed that it's soon.

We are mid February 2019. This Evernote / Fujitsu issue is stil unsolved and in the mean time I have decided to replace the scanner by another brand. My business cannot wait for stupid software updates. Anyhow, I was quite happy with this product but they messed it up. Will never again buy a Fujitsu scanner. Evernote should have taken care of this as well. Too late now. Bye-bye Premium.

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, BillG said:

I have decided to replace the scanner by another brand ... Will never again buy a Fujitsu scanner  ... Bye-bye Premium

I understand there's an issue with the Scanner > Evernote interface.

Other than that, the scanner is a quality machine, and functional for scanning.  Evernote continues to be a quality service/product.

7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I understand there's an issue with the Scanner > Evernote interface.

Other than that, the scanner is a quality machine, and functional for scanning.  

You don't have one of these scanners, do you @DTLow? The driver only really works in conjunction with Evernote. Installing the regular Fujitsu scanner driver would be a blessing at this point. What good is having the fastest fighter jet without fuel?

8 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Evernote continues to be a quality service/product.

Objective polls say otherwise (see Google Trends interest in Evernote). How does Evernote expect to sustain it's business in the longterm with performance like this? As a premium customer, I was hoping to find out... 

Screenshot 2019-02-12 at 14.28.54.png

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Hallpower said:

You don't have one of these scanners, do you

We have a couple in the office

I don't use them much; but I know the connection is via a USB cable

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, BillG said:

Will never again buy a Fujitsu scanner.

I think you are throwing the baby out with the bath water.  I can sympathize with those of you that have the Evernote branded scanner and having trouble getting an updated driver, but the regular ScanSnap iX500 is an awesome scanner.  I had the S300 for about 10 years that I replaced recently with the iX500 ... my only regret is that I didn't replace the old scanner sooner.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Just for the record I've had an S1500 (the precursor to the iX500) for nearly 10 years.  I use it for the humdrum purpose of scanning to folder.  It's done around 25,000 scans and still works perfectly - the recommended service interval is 100,000 scans.

• Level 5*

It was a difficult decision to replace the S300, it was still working fine.  I justified replacing it since I wanted a wireless scanner and, as a recent new Mac user, I couldn't find a driver that would work on Mojave (though to be truthful I didn't try real hard..).  The wireless ability, increased speed over the S300 and it feeds almost all paper flawlessly, have made it a winner in my book.

• 3 weeks later...

In our Business we have 3 x Evernote Branded Fujitsu scanners.  

They are all linked via USB to Mac's and one of them is updated to Mojave. The Mojave one is reporting that soon the software will need to be updated and won't work. It is currently working fine and scans well straight into Evernote . So do the other 2. But having read all the comments above, it seems that they will continue to work as long as they are plugged in to the mac's via USB?  We like the scanners and we like Evernote for scanning invoices and storing them for searching.

We are loath to change from this system, but there are so many questions. Is Evernote there for the long term? Will the scanners work in the future? Will the software get updated?  If we change scanners, which one is the best ? ix500? or ix1500?  If we change from Evernote and start using OneNote, which scanner will direct scan into that software.  

The reason we are contemplating OneNote, is that we have started to use Microsoft Teams for collaboration, and it seems logical to use OneNote.  Anyone with any suggestions to the best way forward, please let me know!  

Regards , Evernote Business user with 12 users, paying a lot yearly for the service.  (awaiting Evernote improvements, promised by new CEO ).

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, richard webb said:

Is Evernote there for the long term? Will the scanners work in the future? Will the software get updated?

The last comment from Evernote was something along the lines of "Fujitsu are working on a fix" so if your scans are currently working there seems no reason to 1) expect that to change,  or 2) cross any replacement bridges until it is absolutely necessary.  The improvements promised by the new CEO were on general reliability,  not specifically the dual-badged scanner,  so that's a bit of a red herring.  I've used a Fujitsu scanner to save files into OneNote - it's a standard feature of modern scanners that new files are created either on a local hard disk or get sent via bluetooth or wifi to a cloud destination,  so if you do need to change it should be fairly easy (subject to the inevitable learning curve) to do so.  Maybe some active ON users can suggest a 'better'scanner,  but their best may not be your first choice so a little use case analysis and a few web searches might be useful...

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, gazumped said:

The last comment from Evernote was something along the lines of "Fujitsu are working on a fix" so if your scans are currently working there seems no reason to 1) expect that to change,  or 2) cross any replacement bridges until it is absolutely necessary.  The improvements promised by the new CEO were on general reliability,  not specifically the dual-badged scanner,  so that's a bit of a red herring.  I've used a Fujitsu scanner to save files into OneNote - it's a standard feature of modern scanners that new files are created either on a local hard disk or get sent via bluetooth or wifi to a cloud destination,  so if you do need to change it should be fairly easy (subject to the inevitable learning curve) to do so.  Maybe some active ON users can suggest a 'better'scanner,  but their best may not be your first choice so a little use case analysis and a few web searches might be useful...

Thank you. Appreciate the comments. 1 and 2.  Will do.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I did manage to get mine connected after reading the the Fujitsu notes on this scanner. It said to use the Wireless setup tool for Evernote edition, which I didn't even know that I had on the computer, but sure enough it was in my programs. I ran that setup tool and got it connected to my new wifi. The Scansnap Manager software still said that I needed to connect to WIFI on my computer, but when I disconnected the USB, everything went green and said I was connected. Did a couple of test scans and everything is working fine. 

My ScanSnap Evernote Edition is working fine with the MacOS Mojave 10.14.4 Beta.  I have version 1.0.51 (1001) of the ScanSnap software.  Wireless scanning to Evernote works normally.  

I do get the 32-bit warning when I launch, but so far everything is normal (and I only get the warning occasionally when I launch, not every time).

• 4 weeks later...

My latest OS upgrade finished with a message that my scansnap software would no longer be compatible with the next OS upgrade.

I spent a lot of money on that scanner and would like it to continue to work.

Any ideas on updates?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, flyslinger2 said:

My latest OS upgrade finished with a message that my scansnap software would no longer be compatible with the next OS upgrade.
I spent a lot of money on that scanner and would like it to continue to work.
Any ideas on updates?

I meged your discussion with the common thread for this.

• 1 month later...

I also finally managed to get it connected via the Wireless Connection Tool. It took a few tries and my trouble-shooting wasn't methodical enough for me to share how I finally got it to work (sorry). Also, it now takes a few minutes for it to connect each time I open the scanner lid (not immediate the way it used to be). But, at least it's working wirelessly...

I'd also like to share with the thread that you do have the option to turn the Scansnap Evernote Edition scanner into the regular Scansnap IX500 scanner. You'll still be able to scan directly to Evernote through the Scansnap cloud, plus you'll be more flexible to scan to other "locations" as well. 

For more on the benefits and draw-backs as well as access to the conversion tool, see the description on Fujitsu website: 

http://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/evernote/index.html

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Never had the Evernote edition scanner, so I can’t comment on this. I think doing the conversion to a standard ix500 is probably the best solution, because even if it will be fixed one day for Mojave, the next update may shake up things again, and again, and ...

Because I just switched OS from Win 10 to Mac Mojave, I want to contribute another observation: The ScanSnap software from Fujitsu is quite different between Win and Mac, and the windows app to me seems far better in its functions and options. The MacOS app is quite rudimentary in comparison.

What is a nice workaround is the option to scan to the mobile app, and send it from there into EN. So if using a cloud service is not a problem (some don’t want it, for legal or personal reasons), you should take a look at this option as well. It is flexible, both ways can be set up and used at discretion.