KANBAN View

Markus (Graz)

Idea

24 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 4/11/2019 at 1:03 AM, Markus (Graz) said:

Integrate a possibility to show the notes of specific notebooks in a KANBAN board/view.

Thanks for the screenshot - I didn't know what the Kanban board view looked like

The standard Evernote view is a single note list.
On my Mac, I can have multiple note lists in tabs.

Another option is a "dashboard note" that shows notes in various lists.
Third party Filterize will keep these lists updated.  I use scripting on a Mac.
The screenshot is an example, and shows a note with my 6 task/project lists.984718918_ScreenShot2019-04-11at09_40_10.png.f5c1de7f8fedc6011f0c4acf27a8072e.png

edit: The discussion for the Kanbanote product is here

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Markus (Graz) said:

Integrate a possibility to show the notes of specific notebooks in a KANBAN board/view. Like the tool "kanbanote", .. but fully integrated in Evernote and with more options like (color highlighting, prioritization, etc.).

This will be one of the most important future features because more and more users of evernote with a huge amount of notes and a big structured notebook system will have the need to visualize and track the progression of their tasks and notes in one overview.

I am an evernote user (very satisfied) till many years, .. but if evernote will not go with the time and offer agile ways as kanban, etc. to work with, .. i am forced to look after a new tool to support my daily work needs.

But in the deep of my heart I want to stay at evernote and I am the greatest fan of evernote! 🙂

Markus

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-11 um 10.02.55.png

looks like trello...

• Like 1
On 4/12/2019 at 4:49 AM, eric99 said:

looks like trello...

You could also say that:

• Evernote looks like OneNote...
  • Evernote drawings does the same thing as Google Keep drawings...
  • Evernote serves the same function as Google Drive/OneNote/Google Keep/Notion...
  • Evernote tasks is a weaker version of ToDoist/Notion Board...

Getting Evernote to be like Trello isn't impossible. Notion had done it with their boards.

I am currently using multiple tools together. But I do wish Evernote (or someone, anyone?!) could do it all. Then I wouldn't have so many apps...

• Google Keep: Super responsive, lightweight, temp notes / simple lists
  • Evernote: Long-term, short-length, pretty notes / sketches
  • Notion: Heavyweight Kanban To-Do Boards
  • MS Office: Reports / Documents
  • G Drive: Collaborative Notes / Lists / Drawings / Reports
  • Like 3
  • Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Cardin said:

But I do wish Evernote (or someone, anyone?!) could do it all. Then I wouldn't have so many apps...

A huge bloated app; jack of all trades, master of none

I have no problem using multiple tools, but without much feature duplication.
As an Evernote user, I would not be using Google Keep, Notion, G Drive

Notes can contain file attachments in any format - this allows a lot of scope for content
The Evernote editor is ok for basic notes.  
I use dedicated editors for extended features.

I understand the need for external filing for various reasons, including collaborative work.  
I store a link in my Evernote note.

I don't understand heavyweight Kanban To-Do Boards but I can see using an external dedicated tool
I would not switch to an alternate filing system - is Notion really a heavyweight Kanban tool?

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I have no problem using multiple tools, but without much feature duplication.
As an Evernote user, I would not be using Google Keep, Notion, G Drive

Notes can contain file attachments in any format - this allows a lot of scope for content
The Evernote editor is ok for basic notes.  
I use dedicated editors for extended features.

I understand the need for external filing for various reasons, including collaborative work.  
I store a link in my Evernote note.

I don't understand heavyweight Kanban To-Do Boards but I can see using an external dedicated tool
I would not switch to an alternate filing system - is Notion really a heavyweight Kanban tool?

I would argue that Evernote is still a master of none right now. It's not a must-have, and many other apps possess many of its features. If I had never used Evernote, I wouldn't have a hard time getting used to the workflow of alternative apps. Nor would I have a hard time migrating old Notes, which I'd been slowly migrating to MS Office and G Drive since year 2015.

As for Notion being heavyweight, I might have confused by using the wrong term. I meant, better featured. Notion is okay for personal projects, as it has free advanced features like custom typed properties, calendar view, multi-view data, reminders, rich content formatting, nesting, sharing, unlimited workspaces/boards. Of course, if you compare it to Glo-board, GitLab, YouTrack, Trello, they have Assignees, Burndown chart, Git integration, Commit Referencing, CI/CD, Project Statistics, etc. But I wouldn't use them for hobbies, nor would i use them with non-techies. They also cost a lot more.

Anyway back to the point, I was hoping Evernote would be able to measure up to competition against other note-taking/tracking apps. I do agree with you though, that if it is not feasible for Evernote to implement it without getting bloated (for various reasons, be it technical, funding, strategic), I would not want the Kanban feature to be in.

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Cardin said:

I would argue that Evernote is still a master of none right now. 

My vote is master of document storage/organization/retrieval/sync

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, AVD said:

A Kanban view for Evernote would be a game changer

You can implement your own Kanban view in a dashboard note; see my post above

So far, this request has 6 user votes.  Users can indicate their support using the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Sigh, another "lightweight and simple to integrate" post

• Like 1

DTLow,

Is a "dashboard note" specific to the Mac version of Evernote? It doesn't appear in my Windows or Android versions, nor did I find "dashboard note" after searching the Evernote Help. In the Windows version, the Note List does have different view options including "Card" and "Thumbnail" among other types, however it does not appear that you can create multiple subsections or lists, nor can you "move" a note to an arbitrary position.

TIA for your help

Ed

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, gandoe said:

Is a "dashboard note" specific to the Mac version of Evernote?

A dashboard note starts out as a simple Evernote  note

A user adds content to the note   
- any content the feel is important   
- any layout that works for them, including Kanban elements

There's a discussion forum at https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/644-home-dashboards/

• Level 5

There is more to a real KANBAN tool than just the look.

Important is the functionality, the ingrained logic and the interaction with several users. Throw in different roles, reporting and controlling tools etc.

Sure this can be build based on a EN data base tweaked in the right direction. A tool designed for this type of project management from scratch will perform better. Probably one can create a prototype, maybe a 1-User-application. But I doubt that a real KANBAN workflow for professional use can be set up and run for an extended time based on such an approach. Better get a solution off the shelf, like Trello or Meistertask.

This is an excellent idea.

As Pink Elephant quite correctly observed there is mor to Kanban than just the look. However I find the simple card based view, tagged with the status of the card, without the rest, to be extremely for lightweight work, such as blogging and similar.

Working with and developing IT projects, at a number of levels, is what I do for a living, so I do have a bit of practice!

Trello is more than I need for personal use, but is the only useful tool for the job that I have found. I want to get rid of it.

ANY  Kanban feature, at this point, is years overdue and if Evernote fails to see the need for Kanban, then ... Trello, Notion?? Evernote is leaving money on the table and losing customers who expect this feature, I don't understand why Evernote just doesn't 'get it' ?  I'd ditch Trello if Evernote integrated Kanban view..  Notion is the  closest thing to Evernote, and has a nice Kanban implementation. Come on, Evernote...

• Like 1

Yep - in agreement. I find Kanban extremely useful, I accept not everyone does. Would like to be able to apply it's principles within EN for certain project notebooks/stacks. Ultimately, the goal for me is that the product fits my requirement for notes/capture, task and projects. 2/3 of the way there; just so happens I have a preference for boards when it comes to projects. 

Love to all

On 6/13/2019 at 10:23 AM, DTLow said:

You forgot the rest of the quote:

A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Having an app that is good at many things is better than an app that only does one thing excellently. We're not asking for the world:

• Todoist is great at task management but sucks with notes
  • Notion is great with tables/relations but sucks with notes
  • Trello/Asana are great at project management but suck with notes
  • OneNote is great at notes but sucks with complex data relations

All we're asking for is EN to add some basic project capabilities. We know you need a "heavyweight tool" like Jira / Asana / Trello for project management. We're just trying to consolidate tools where we can and create that consistent capture system

• Level 5

It's always a question how projects are handled. First Kanban-Style is not the only way to manage projects.

Second (and more important) the idea behind the typical Kanban-Boards is that cards are assigned to team members, and they work them down, and then move the cards ahead. This requires a certain background setup, a data model matching this way of object handling.

I don't see an easy way to do this natively in EN - say compared to Trello, a tool that I use for some projects.

Probably the approach of Kanbannotes is the one that currently should be applied, if Kanban-style note management is requested for a project.