Jump to content
Iriska

Evernote for Windows 6.18 beta 3

Recommended Posts

Today we released Windows 6.18 beta 3. It's available here!

What’s in 6.18 beta 3?
New:
  • Security update
Fixed:
  • German: Transitional HTML entities display in the warning box when moving unshared note to a shared notebook
  • Expanded Notebooks or Stacks in Notebook Kingdom view does not keep after expanding them and returning back
  • Incorrect notebook name is shown on notification message in Japanese
  • Source url field is blank if it is set to https:// in Note info
  • Tooltip is missing from the "Save as Template" icon

Share this post


Link to post

Updated to Beta 3 this morning. There is a Blank Area above Note Lists that will not go away.

Blank Area.png

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, fchandler said:

Updated to Beta 3 this morning. There is a Blank Area above Note Lists that will not go away.

Is that in all note views? I use Snippet view almost exclusively.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, fchandler said:

Updated to Beta 3 this morning. There is a Blank Area above Note Lists that will not go away.

Blank Area.png

I got the same blank area after closing a pop-up about a new Evernote add-on for Gmail.  Restarting Evernote solved in my case. By restarting  I mean choosing File --> Exit and then starting Evernote again. Have you tried to do the same?

Share this post


Link to post

I can confirm the same problem and the above solution worked for me.

Share this post


Link to post

1) Seeing a lot of crashes - just closes with no warning/no info.  This is largely occurring when I drag an image from Evernote into an Outlook email - doesn't happen every time, but 'frequently' - which is 100% more than the prior version of EN. 

2) in the note window, I get the text input mouse icon (upper case "I" with serifs looking pointer - sorry, the name of it eludes me) - This seems normal - except over links - I can still click a link and it goes to the link, but this mouse cursor stood out to me - prior version was the hand and pointed finger icon.

In full disclosure, I probably need to reboot this laptop anyway - maybe the problems will go away. 

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, keisoko said:

I got the same blank area after closing a pop-up about a new Evernote add-on for Gmail.  Restarting Evernote solved in my case. By restarting  I mean choosing File --> Exit and then starting Evernote again. Have you tried to do the same?

Thank You. Worked for me, but have experienced other issues in the drag and drop between apps. Have gone back to 6.17.

Share this post


Link to post

There are multiple DnD issues (honestly? Don't DnD). The "blank space" issue has been identified.

Updating CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework - the browser) is always a dreadful process. We updated between this beta and the last. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

There are multiple DnD issues (honestly? Don't DnD). The "blank space" issue has been identified.

Updating CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework - the browser) is always a dreadful process. We updated between this beta and the last. 

I still wonder why Evernote's  DnD implementation is so fragile in this framework?  Is CEF not intended for this kind of applications?

Share this post


Link to post

We had to modify the CEF source to get DnD to do what we needed. (But the problem is deeper - rolling back all our changes still doesn't get things that should work working)

Share this post


Link to post

I am observing the return of a previously fixed bug: opening a link from a secondary window doesn't follow the link on the same window, instead it opens it on the main window.  This disrupts my weekly two windows note update.

Anyone else seeing this?

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

I am observing the return of a previously fixed bug: opening a link from a secondary window doesn't follow the link on the same window, instead it opens it on the main window.  This disrupts my weekly two windows note update.

Anyone else seeing this?

Seeing this too - although, using links in a secondary window isn't a part of my normal work flow at all so I'd likely have never noticed this.
This being said... I just tested the prior version for this quirk and found the results "spotty" - sometimes links would follow in the secondary window, sometimes they'd only open in the main window.  I found a some notes that stayed consistent - wonder if it has something to do with the link being generated when one creates a note link?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/13/2019 at 9:40 PM, ej8899 said:

Seeing this too - although, using links in a secondary window isn't a part of my normal work flow at all so I'd likely have never noticed this.

Well, I uninstalled beta 3 and reinstalled beta 2.  The behavior no longer occurs in my case. 

A couple of other things are no longer happening: 1-the mouse cursor was not turning into a hand on links at all, now it is doing it normally again.  2-The Reminders link on the Note list was not visible, now it is visible again.

Uncertain whether these were caused by beta 3.

EDIT: Reinstalled beta 3, all 3 problems mentioned above reappeared.  Back to beta 2, all is well again.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/12/2019 at 4:33 PM, dconnet said:

We had to modify the CEF source to get DnD to do what we needed. (But the problem is deeper - rolling back all our changes still doesn't get things that should work working)

Ugh. Sounds horrible. Where do I send the sympathy card to?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/12/2019 at 10:33 PM, dconnet said:

We had to modify the CEF source to get DnD to do what we needed. (But the problem is deeper - rolling back all our changes still doesn't get things that should work working)

I hope you can confince the CEF team to integrate the required DnD functionality into their framework. Forking the code is a never ending story I'm afraid

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/12/2019 at 1:33 PM, dconnet said:

We had to modify the CEF source to get DnD to do what we needed. (But the problem is deeper - rolling back all our changes still doesn't get things that should work working)

Sometimes you are the bug, and sometimes you are the windshield.  :wacko:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, eric99 said:

I hope you can confince the CEF team to integrate the required DnD functionality into their framework. Forking the code is a never ending story I'm afraid

For fun, check out the CEF repository (I'm assuming that this is the one Evernote is based from, could be wrong, though): https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef

343 forks, to date. Never-ending, indeed... :)

(and I know that that's not what you really meant)

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CalS said:

Sometimes you are the bug

Sounds kinda metaphoric there, given the context... :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just click on a Sharable URL link in the chat the program open up a page.  Then I could get back to normal chat.

Back to a previous version.  There is something wrong with links in the chat feature.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/11/2019 at 5:16 PM, ej8899 said:

1) Seeing a lot of crashes - just closes with no warning/no info.  This is largely occurring when I drag an image from Evernote into an Outlook email - doesn't happen every time, but 'frequently' - which is 100% more than the prior version of EN. 

I am seeing a lot of crashes, but I can't identify any consistent pattern to when or what I'm doing.

Share this post


Link to post

I think I had 4 crashes yesterday. So frequent I've had to reinstall the production version and will re-join the beta after the next update. I was watching a webinar and trying to take notes and it crashed at least 3 times so I couldn't get the notes -- had to use the web version.

Share this post


Link to post

ver 6.18.3.8456 (308456) Prerelease (CE Build ce-62.3.7750) running on Win10 Home.

Encountering frequent fatal errors crashes. Happening at a rate around 8+ times per day. Usually occurs when I try to click open a note from the Top List view. EN won't respond when clicking the Icon or Tray Icon. I either have to reboot or go into Win Task Manager kill the EN Tray App and for good measure, I haven't checked if it makes a difference, EN clipper App. Once all EN processes are shut down I can open EN again. At launch, the All Notes List View is blank, but a sync restores everything in view. Not seeing any data loss, whatever I'm working on seems intact when EN syncs.

Share this post


Link to post

Recommendation: Downgrade to Beta2. Seriously. (We're working on rolling back all the CEF changes that went into Beta3. I'll need a substance abuse program when this is done.)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, dconnet said:

Recommendation: Downgrade to Beta2. Seriously. (We're working on rolling back all the CEF changes that went into Beta3. I'll need a substance abuse program when this is done.)

Which version is that? And where can I get it at this point?

I have install files for 6.17.6.8292 (Production) and 6.18.3.8456 (Beta 3, I believe).

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dconnet said:

Recommendation: Downgrade to Beta2. Seriously. 

In that case, perhaps beta 3 should be taken off the automatic update channel.  Currently it is still showing up..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We do have the automatic update set at 0% - but if you manually check, you'll see it. A replacement for that beta is coming "real soon".

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, dconnet said:

Recommendation: Downgrade to Beta2. Seriously. (We're working on rolling back all the CEF changes that went into Beta3. I'll need a substance abuse program when this is done.)

Hopefully it's nothing worse that espresso overload. (I was smartlucky and hadn't updated to Beta 3 yet)

1 hour ago, dconnet said:

We do have the automatic update set at 0% - but if you manually check, you'll see it. A replacement for that beta is coming "real soon".

Good luck -- hope that the rollback goes better and everyone's heart rates can drop back. Working under pressure isn't fun, it's worse when it entails undoing something that didn't work. See the scars here? And here? Oh, and over there?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, dconnet said:

We do have the automatic update set at 0% - but if you manually check, you'll see it. A replacement for that beta is coming "real soon".

A "new" version is available. This is a hotfix for the 6.17 GA. Because of our update versioning, this is seen as an update to the beta (because it was released later - yeah, I know. The architecture for that was set down a decade ago. Thankfully we rarely run into cases like this.).

If you're running Beta2 (or 3), the hotfix issue is already fixed, so you probably want to ignore the 6.17.7 release. (And because of MSI versioning, the installer itself knows this is a downgrade and will complain. Loudly. double sigh.)

Share this post


Link to post

The day I'm asked to do installer stuff will be the day I retire...

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jefito said:

The day I'm asked to do installer stuff will be the day I retire...

I did it for almost 3 years at another company. Driver installs too. (Funny thing, headhunter contacted me, my skills were a perfect match - for installers. Nope! Once was enough!)

Share this post


Link to post

I have beta 6.18.3 but it is asking me to install the latest version, 6.17.7 Public (308474). I wasn't paying attention to versions so said OK, and obviously got this.

 

image.png.f964ac9953e48c9b6fb717d639b665b4.png

 

The update notification: 

image.thumb.png.836515bd9a3ac9c7ee0c332f34953d5e.png

 

My installed version:

image.png.f5df050f20d3a7821be903011b9abf44.png

 

Share this post


Link to post

That's expected. See my post (a couple) above.

Edit: Our upgrade path doesn't play nicely with MSI (Microsoft Installer).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dconnet said:

That's expected. See my post (a couple) above.

Edit: Our upgrade path doesn't play nicely with MSI (Microsoft Installer).

Ok. I didn't check for the update. It just told me it was there. I only checked to get the screengrabs above.

I too have seen crashes in the past few days, but never when using. Only after suspending and whatnot, so haven't had an issue to lose data or work.

Share this post


Link to post

I just want to add I was also automatically informed of the upgrade this morning, I did NOT look for an upgrade manually. I, too, accepted the suggested upgrade because I didn't realize it was in fact a downgrade.

So now I'm in the process of reinstalling.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...