Find Note GUID in Desktop App

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, mikeinnyc said:

I am looking for a way to view/access the specific GUID of a given note.  

Retrieve the classic note link; the GUID is the last parameter, in the sample below 9893a90a-079f-4aff-931f-531e551275cf

evernote:///view/1156250/s10/9893a90a-079f-4aff-931f-531e551275cf/9893a90a-079f-4aff-931f-531e551275cf/
                                                                  <--------------GUID---------------->

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, MatS14 said:

What is a Note GUID first of all?

Each note is identified by a unique GUID; for example 9893a90a-079f-4aff-931f-531e551275cf

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, mikeinnyc said:

Any chance  I can view multiple note's GUIDs at one time, similar to any other attribute?   

I'm not a Windows user, but I don't think the note GUID is available in the Evernote UI
- so just the note link, but you can select multiple notes.

I'm curious as to  your purpose in asking about the note GUID.  
I use the field for database access, but it's not usually referenced by users.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

I'm not a Windows user, but I don't think the note GUID is available in the Evernote UI

Correct -- note GUIDs (or other GUIDs: tags, notebooks and other Evernote objects also have GUIDs) are not exposed in the Evernote for Windows application anywhere that I'm aware of, except for the case of note links, where they're part of the link text.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, mikeinnyc said:

Thanks DTLow.   Any chance  I can view multiple note's GUIDs at one time, similar to any other attribute?   

Yes, sort of.

• Grab all of the notes you want the GUID for, then create a table of contents note for them. 
  • Export the TOC note as an ENEX or HTML file.
  • Edit in either exported file in a text editor.
  • extract the GUIDs from the XLM/HTML code.

@EdH that Table of Contents hack is slick! Good thinking.

My thought: There is also a GUID (a.k.a. Shard ID?) in the shareable link generated by (Windows client) selecting the note then Ctrl+/. I doubt that this GUID is the same as the one generated by Ctrl+Alt+L The former lets anyone with the link see the note, the later would require the user to be logged in. Either one might be useful to @mikeinnyc.

Ctrl+/ would presumably generate the same GUID as you'd see if you generated a TOC that included the given note.

• Ex Employees

@John in Michigan USA

Yup. The note's GUID doesn't change when you generate a shareable link.

Each user is assigned a shard upon registration which their data is saved to.  You may see the shard ID exposed in public links.  Our formal definitions of a shard and GUID can be found in our Glossary. Hope that info helps! 

• Level 5*

@Austin G: your post here, at least in my browser, is acting weirdly: I can copy/paste (Chrome) from what you quoted, but not from your post itself, nor can I open up links like your the Glossary link (which I'm adding here in case anyone else is having the same problem).Don't know whether it's a glitch in the forum software, or a glitch in me...

• Level 5
11 hours ago, jefito said:

@Austin G: your post here, at least in my browser, is acting weirdly: I can copy/paste (Chrome) from what you quoted, but not from your post itself, nor can I open up links like your the Glossary link (which I'm adding here in case anyone else is having the same problem).Don't know whether it's a glitch in the forum software, or a glitch in me...

I'm having the same issue in Opera. It also happens in Firefox.

• Ex Employees
13 hours ago, jefito said:

I'm seeing the same thing. I can't select edit either. Thanks for the heads up! I'll report this to our forum admin. 

• Level 5*

Just minor addendum on the GUID. It will change for a note if you move it between Consumer Evernote and Business Evernote. Notes don't actually move in those scenarios. They are copied then deleted at the source. If you don't have Evernote Business, then it doesn't matter. If you do, just be aware.

@DTLow  Thanks again for the reply.  My reason for wanting the GUID is so I can measure my progress, week-over-week.  I would I like to know what of my notes (i.e. tasks) were completed, started, deferred, etc...   The "names" of my notes change with enough frequency that it's not a reliable field to measure against.

Thanks to everyone for the good discussion and Evernote for providing the forum.  Using the guidance from @DTLow and @EdH, I have implemented the following approach:

1. Select all applicable notes in the Note List

2. Right Click > Copy Internal Links

3. Paste (as text) into Excel 

4. Use Excel Function to extract the GUID (=right(a1, 36)) //assuming they are all 36 characters in length

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mikeinnyc said:

Paste (as text) into Excel 

I've transferred note links to a spreadsheet for number crunching stuff.

I found it useful to leave them as links; clicking the link opened the note in Evernote

>>I would I like to know what of my notes (i.e. tasks) were completed, started, deferred, etc.

A new discussion.  
I use the reminder feature for task management.  It stores start date and completion date/status.
Those two fields can be used in searches to provide different views of your data.
- for example "completed, started"

Can't you Copy/Paste the GUID?

Like this:    evernote:///view/1156250/s10/9893a90a-079f-4aff-931f-531e551275cf/9893a90a-079f-4aff-931f-531e551275cf/

<<<<<-----------GUID(in blue)-------------->>>>>

Then paste it to where you want it:     9893a90a-079f-4aff-931f-531e551275cf

<<<<<------------Pasted GUID------------->>>>>

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, MatS14 said:

Can't you Copy/Paste the GUID?

Like this:    evernote:///view/1156250/s10/9893a90a-079f-4aff-931f-531e551275cf/9893a90a-079f-4aff-931f-531e551275cf/

<<<<<-----------GUID(in blue)-------------->>>>>

Then paste it to where you want it:     9893a90a-079f-4aff-931f-531e551275cf

<<<<<------------Pasted GUID------------->>>>>

No. Not when I follow your steps:

1. Select all desired notes.
  2. Right-CLick and Copy Internal Links (CTRL-ALT-L)
  3. In Excel Paste. It doesn't matter if I paste as text or do a regular paste, I just get note titles. A regular paste though does make the URL embedded in the cell, which as I noted before, you can get to via VBA, but not via normal Excel formulas.
  • Level 5*
On 4/11/2019 at 10:44 AM, EdH said:

No. Not when I follow your steps:

1. Select all desired notes.
  2. Right-CLick and Copy Internal Links (CTRL-ALT-L)
  3. In Excel Paste. It doesn't matter if I paste as text or do a regular paste, I just get note titles. A regular paste though does make the URL embedded in the cell, which as I noted before, you can get to via VBA, but not via normal Excel formulas.

Don't know if it helps, but you can Paste as text in Word and get the links.  Then copy/paste to Excel and use text to columns.  Though you do get a slightly different representation of the entire string, no doubt the classic versus whatever link, the GUID is there.  FWIW.   

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, CalS said:

Don't know if it helps, but you can Paste as text in Word and get the links.  Then copy/paste to Excel and use text to columns.  Though you do get a slightly different representation of the entire string, no doubt the classic versus whatever link, the GUID is there.  FWIW.   

Does help. Thanks. Even better, a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++ does the links as well, and you can trim it in Notepad++ pretty easily. Just do a search for "https://www.evernote.com/shard/sX/nl/XXXXX/" and replace with nothing.

Archived