TOC and internal links for notes

seebee

Idea

In his blog, https://evernote.com/blog/looking-ahead-evernotes-priorities-2019/ CEO Ian stated that 2019 will be the year of straightening Evernote out from the foundations. This is great news. Before moving forward into new features, he states that there needs to be consistency across platforms. (I have always been envious of the Apple colour scheme by the way:).  Evernote is an incredibly useful tool. What stops me from finding more uses in my business and daily life is that some features are just not that easy to use. Having said that, Scanner is brilliant, and having just discovered using + sign in searches yields great results
A couple of things that spring to my attention for improvement are as follows.

Can we not make it easier, and I mean, much easier in linking internal notes backwards and forwards with each other, like a web page.  Presently, it's a joke when you can't even find the homepage to link back to from the note that has just received an internal note link. Think website useability. link to a paragraph, link back to home page, create links like as in web page making, internal hyperlinks
Think website useability!
Presently we can create a TOC from a bunch of notes, but it is  more useful when a project has been completed because it becomes awkward when you have to add more pages to it.
Also
Tables
When add a row below, why not make it so that it will copy the layout of the row? If it has a tickbox, it will copy that with it etc. basic spreadhseet functionality would be not bad too.
To do
What's with the 'right mouse click' option called, 'to do'? All it does is add a checklist , or check one off. Is this a joke? Who actually uses this?
All the best to the team
Thank you for the most useful app I have, and if you don't add these features, I'll still subscribe anyway.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hello, good input. All of this would help to make EN even better.

But to be able to vote issues up the ranks, you should split the post into one for each feature idea. This would help to push it up, one vote per feature.

Thanks ! 

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, seebee said:

Presently we can create a TOC from a bunch of notes, but it is  more useful when a project has been completed because it becomes awkward when you have to add more pages to it.

I'm not a fan of static ToC note lists334079121_ScreenShot2019-04-03at08_30_09.png.f6da3d6c0d1f185ce68b30176d545392.png

I use dynamic note lists
- Project notes are assigned a tag (tag:Project aaaaaaaa)
- A search generates the complete list of project notes.

>>Can we not make it easier, and I mean, much easier in linking internal notes backwards and forwards with each other, like a web page.667517112_ScreenShot2019-04-03at07_53_23.png.c708b29cee876903580d89d79bd97786.png

Screenshot shows note navigation arrows on my Mac

There's no support for links within the note contents.
A request for this feature is posted here

>>What's with the 'right mouse click' option called, 'to do'? All it does is add a checklist , or check one off. Is this a joke? Who actually uses this?

Confirmed.  This function inserts a checkbox icon within the note contents (☑️)

It is useful for creating a checklist note; also known as a list of "to do"s886378095_ScreenShot2019-04-03at08_39_46.png.b74a3254ab1d662dba86dd4ee2c48710.png
Screenshot is from my daily journal note

• Level 5*

I'll echo the requestto post one idea per feature request topic. Keeps things a lot clearer. With that said, I'll address the first of your requests.

3 hours ago, seebee said:
Can we not make it easier, and I mean, much easier in linking internal notes backwards and forwards with each other, like a web page.  Presently, it's a joke when you can't even find the homepage to link back to from the note that has just received an internal note link. Think website useability. link to a paragraph, link back to home page, create links like as in web page making, internal hyperlinks
Think website useability!

In Evernote for Windows, building a note link hierarchy is made easier by the use of the Note History feature. For example, I have a table of contents type of note, and I want to add a new note link to it:

• Go to the table of contents note, copy its note link 
  • Go to the note I want to link to, and insert the parent note link somewhere in the note
  • Copy the note link of the child note
  • Use the note history (left/right arrows in the toolbar, or Alt+LeftArrow or Alt+RightArrow keystrokes) to go back to the parent note, and insert the link to the child note

Since note links arre part of a note's content, that makes automatic note lining problematic, because the application must try to guess where to insert the links. As far as I can tell, Evernote doesn't do any automatic text insertion of that kind, and that's understandable. There's no guarantees that wherever you left the cursor in a note is actually a good place to automatically insert a note link.

One other awkwardness is that notes need not form a strict hierarchy: a note can have more than one other note pointing to it, so there's no distinguishable parent. That being said, it would be a nice feature to have a single UI that presents the notes that link to a particular note, and the list of notes that it in turn links to, so that navigation in any direction would be easier.

I found a solution for circular linking that is pretty quick. Right mouse click the TOC page in the 'note list' and select 'copy internal note link'// Hit the first note link on the TOC contents and cntrl+v (paste) the link at the top of the child note //Hit this new link which returns to the TOC contents //Hit the next child note link on the list and then control +v again etc etc.

A little cumbersome perhaps but it does save a lot of mucking around.

I appreciate what you are saying about .....

9 hours ago, jefito said:

There's no guarantees that wherever you left the cursor in a note is actually a good place to automatically insert a note link.

Cheers, Chris

Archived