Jump to content
Nick L.

Evernote for Mac 7.10 Beta 1

Recommended Posts

Hey folks,

Evernote for Mac 7.10 Beta 1 is now live. You can download it here

Improved

  • Improved note loading speeds
  • Improved search performance in slower networks

Fixed

  • Fixed an issue where copying text from Evernote and pasting it on 3rd party app would introduce an extra carriage return
  • Searching Evernote notes with Spotlight now works on Mojave
  • Fixed an issue where tags wouldn't delete using the keyboard shortcut
  • Fixed an issue where the mic access prompt didn't appear
  • Fixed an issue where text was illegible in the saved search edit field
  • Fixed an issue deleting a page from a PDF in annotation mode

Known issues:

  • Text is fuzzy in non retina displays.
  • Complex notes are choppy when scrolling. 
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I might be delusional, but scrolling through the note list seems much smoother than before. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hi, 

I'm glad the Spotlight search has been fixed, it has affected my workflow immensely, however, it's not working with Alfred sadly.

Does anyone have the Spotlight search working through Alfred App? I've added all the usual paths to the search scope but with no luck. 

Thanks a lot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, JoeBloggs said:

Hi, 

I'm glad the Spotlight search has been fixed, it has affected my workflow immensely, however, it's not working with Alfred sadly.

Does anyone have the Spotlight search working through Alfred App? I've added all the usual paths to the search scope but with no luck. 

Thanks a lot.

 

I can't, either. It seems the metadata now has a .enspot extension — I wonder if Alfred can't "see" these files yet?

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, macfixer said:

I can't, either. It seems the metadata now has a .enspot extension — I wonder if Alfred can't "see" these files yet?

Actually I don't think 7.10 uses "enspot" files anymore. On the 2 systems I've installed 7.10 beta on, I deleted them completely and rebuilt both the Full Text and Spotlight metadata indexes, and spotlight search is PARTIALLY working with no trace of any .enspot files on my disk anywhere. When I say PARTIALLY working, I mean, that note content is not searchable via Spotlight, but TITLES are. I assume this is a bug?

I agree, it would be nice if Alfred could see these - not sure how to make that happen either. Alfred problem? Seems like this article references a ~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote folder, which no longer exists...

Update: Ok it seems like what used to be the "CoreData" folder is now called CoreNote and lives at ~/Library/Group Containers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote/CoreNote/

Below that, in /accounts/www.evernote.com/<account-id>/content, you will find a folder with a {guid} for each note in your database. Opening those up, there are "content.enml" "quickLook.png" and "snippet.txt" as well as other file attachments etc. The problem is, when I search in Spotlight, what shows up is the "content.enml" file with the preview showing RAW ENML instead of the snippet that it used to show. See below:

spotlight.thumb.png.def0d9cc49e227e8b830b8628ae8c194.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
41 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

Actually I don't think 7.10 uses "enspot" files anymore. On the 2 systems I've installed 7.10 beta on, I deleted them completely and rebuilt both the Full Text and Spotlight metadata indexes, and spotlight search is PARTIALLY working with no trace of any .enspot files on my disk anywhere. When I say PARTIALLY working, I mean, that note content is not searchable via Spotlight, but TITLES are. I assume this is a bug?

I agree, it would be nice if Alfred could see these - not sure how to make that happen either. Alfred problem? Seems like this article references a ~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote folder, which no longer exists...

Update: Ok it seems like what used to be the "CoreData" folder is now called CoreNote and lives at ~/Library/Group Containers/Q79WDW8YH9.com.evernote.Evernote/CoreNote/

Below that, in /accounts/www.evernote.com/<account-id>/content, you will find a folder with a {guid} for each note in your database. Opening those up, there are "content.enml" "quickLook.png" and "snippet.txt" as well as other file attachments etc. The problem is, when I search in Spotlight, what shows up is the "content.enml" file with the preview showing RAW ENML instead of the snippet that it used to show. See below:

spotlight.thumb.png.def0d9cc49e227e8b830b8628ae8c194.png

Wow! That is thorough! 

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Below that, in /accounts/www.evernote.com/<account-id>/content, you will find a folder with a {guid} for each note in your database. Opening those up, there are "content.enml" "quickLook.png" and "snippet.txt" as well as other file attachments etc.

This is the Evernote database storage used on the Mac platform.
There's a folder for each note; content.enml is the actual note contents and it's in enml/html format

This is what I see in Spotlight Search754411642_ScreenShot2019-04-05at12_23_53.png.3b7709ce8c50e6c20a10b818e38d2f4e.png for my Evernote documents

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, DTLow said:

This is the database organization used on the Mac platform.

Well, this is new I think- I don't remember seeing results like that in Spotlight w/ 7.9

The bug is annoying because it does find things, but then you can't open them or see which note they are attached to. As I said before, I assume and hope that this is just a bug.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, luckman212 said:

Well, this is new I think- I don't remember seeing results like that in Spotlight w/ 7.9

The bug is annoying because it does find things, but then you can't open them or see which note they are attached to. As I said before, I assume and hope that this is just a bug.

This is indeed a bug. Spotlight should not be returning results for those files.

Share this post


Link to post

What's the best way to report bugs in this version? Post here or submit bugreports via the feedback form? I want to make sure I'm not farting into the wind and I'm finding lots of little bugs already (par for the course)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, luckman212 said:

What's the best way to report bugs in this version? Post here or submit bugreports via the feedback form?

I post bug reports here in these release feedback discussions.
For non-beta versions, I also submit a bug report to Support.

Share this post


Link to post

4 Spotlight bugs:

1. Spotlight only finds results when the EN app is RUNNING. E.g. if I search for "spotlighttest" while EN is not running, I see this:

image.png.06da6a2dfefe4df4485ba8a4f53fae11.png

Then, launch EN and repeat, and now it shows up:

image.thumb.png.5aa8b42078d8fc8915406c2319ab024a.png

2. Note title metadata in Spotlight is not updating- (see above screenshot)- original title (which had a space in it) is still shown in the Spotlight preview, but the note has long since been updated...days ago.

3. EvernoteQuickLook keeps prompting for access to Keychain, despite me authenticating and clicking "Always Allow". This happens EVERY time EN is quit, re-launched and a Spotlight search is run. I've even tried clicking the "Allow all applications to access this item" but EN doesn't like that either and seems to just delete the token and create a new one, setting it back to its original value of "Confirm before allowing access".

image.png.f7ccdec2de0802b42671a24401ad5069.png

image.png.43d97fa4a48f0cdf535d35388fff5491.png

4. Just to keep everything in one place, the bug I mentioned earlier: only TITLES seem to be indexed by the EN Spotlight Importer. Note contents are just indexed as "plaintext" files and show up as content.enml, content-pre-sync.enml, and snippet.txt which are unusable (can't be opened, and don't reveal to which note they relate):

image.png.8cf9c50008299a260fc93527e0a6a229.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/6/2019 at 10:27 AM, DTLow said:

I post bug reports here in these release feedback discussions.
For non-beta versions, I also submit a bug report to Support.

Just in case, I opened an official bugreport (#2815722) related to these issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Code block editing is getting better in 7.10, but still has annoying bugs.

1. Positioning the cursor at the origin of a codeblock and hitting the DEL key (forward delete) causes the entire first line to "jump" or pop out of the codeblock. The annoying workaround is to remember to position the cursor at the 2nd character and then use BACKSPACE instead. This bug has been there for at least a few years. Not sure if it's been reported but since someone finally seems to be doing work on codeblock I figure now's as good a time as any to try to bring this to light.

2. Extra linefeeds are added to blocks of text containing blank lines when they are converted to codeblocks.

Here's an animated demo of both bugs:

codeblock_fun2.gif.5dbecd8c2562bb27edd23be5df6a2ce5.gif

(edit: filed bugreport #2815737)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/6/2019 at 10:51 PM, luckman212 said:

4 Spotlight bugs:

Thanks for bringing these up. We filed bugs for each of them and will be investigating a fix. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hello,

in 7.10 beta 1, if I :

  • screenshot a part of the screen (with cmd-shift-4),
  • drag the thumbnail that shows up on the screen bottom-right corner
  • drop it on the evernote icon in the Dock, or on the main evernote window
  • nothing happens

I would expect a new note to be created with the screenshot as the main content. It used to work.

Share this post


Link to post

So now that 7.9.1-457700 is out - should we switch to that? Seems to be a newer build than 7.10beta (457647)

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, luckman212 said:

So now that 7.9.1-457700 is out - should we switch to that? Seems to be a newer build than 7.10beta (457647)

7.9.1 has a security fix that's already included in 7.10 beta 1, so I'd recommend to just stick to the beta for now. 

Share this post


Link to post

There's a bug related to https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/117007-mac-76-beta-1/?do=findComment&comment=521750 -

This is about how highlighted words are shown when scrolling within a note. The original bug was fixed (scrolling vertically, the hghlights stay in the right place). BUT there's a 2nd part of the bug: when highlight results are found in Table cells, they don't move left/right as the table is scrolled & the contents are wider than the window.

Here's a screenshot:

EN-highlight-scroll-bug.png.cd55dd372cf6455554d0c058d14648ee.png

and here's a little animated one showing the scrolling left/right while the highlights remain stationary:

table-highlight-bug.thumb.gif.3b48f0ffd66e55bd7568af8a686b830e.gif

bugreport filed: #2822781

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/17/2019 at 12:52 PM, luckman212 said:

There's a bug related to https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/117007-mac-76-beta-1/?do=findComment&comment=521750 -

This is about how highlighted words are shown when scrolling within a note. The original bug was fixed (scrolling vertically, the hghlights stay in the right place). BUT there's a 2nd part of the bug: when highlight results are found in Table cells, they don't move left/right as the table is scrolled & the contents are wider than the window.

Here's a screenshot:

EN-highlight-scroll-bug.png.cd55dd372cf6455554d0c058d14648ee.png

and here's a little animated one showing the scrolling left/right while the highlights remain stationary:

table-highlight-bug.thumb.gif.3b48f0ffd66e55bd7568af8a686b830e.gif

bugreport filed: #2822781

Thanks for reporting. Engineering is aware of this bug and we'll be looking into it. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...