Request: sort supported characters in tag list

Many of us use special characters at the beginning of tags  to sort them and easily call groups of tags, but some of them which work in tags, have no effect whatsoever in sorting. 

It would be more convenient if they did sort since they are more conveniently located in the keyboard than others which could replace them, and their small size is more appealing than larger characters. 

So far they are the following: " ' -  there maybe others.

• Level 5*

Well, don't make the mistake of using emojiis - your post just tickled my imagination and I created "😀 test" tag which promptly disappeared from the listing in the left panel,  and was only findable from the search field on the tags page...  😬.  Not really practical to have a picture in a tag anyway - no easy way to choose it.

I have a numbered series of tags - "01_Daily" forinstance.  All my GTD tags have a 0?_ format,  so typing "0" in the tags field gives me a short list of the main ones.  Other tags are 100_, 110_ etc.,  so as long as I can remember the main 'parent' category I get short lists of related tags.  The main categories are 100 / 200 etc so that I have lots of space to add more when necessary.

Number also sort identically across all clients and OS's (AFAIK),  where punctuation and 'special' characters may not.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Well, don't make the mistake of using emojiis

Well, actually I do use an emoji as a tag, but it starts with a real character, like so:  $💰$

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Number also sort identically across all clients and OS's (AFAIK),  where punctuation and 'special' characters may not.

I am ok with differing sorts, as long as it sorts.   Just to clarify my meaning a little more:

A while ago i borrowed the following tag ideas from one of DTLow's posts:

-1-Current,  -2-Next,  -3-Later,  etc.

The number gives order to the tags, but the dash gives groupings or categories (the idea of What, Where, When, Who, etc) the dash being the When grouping.  This worked nicely in the tag field of notes, but it is invisible to sorting in the tag list, which made grouping not work as intended, since I have other numbered tags. 

I have replaced the dash with ! for now, but the dash was more convenient, plus the more sorting characters available, the more potential groupings (fake stacks, since real stacks don't show in the closed Left Panel).

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Don Dz said:

Well, actually I do use an emoji as a tag, but it starts with a real character, like so:  $💰$

I am ok with differing sorts, as long as it sorts.   Just to clarify my meaning a little more:

A while ago i borrowed the following tag ideas from one of DTLow's posts:

-1-Current,  -2-Next,  -3-Later,  etc.

The number gives order to the tags, but the dash gives groupings or categories (the idea of What, Where, When, Who, etc) the dash being the When grouping.  This worked nicely in the tag field of notes, but it is invisible to sorting in the tag list, which made grouping not work as intended, since I have other numbered tags. 

I have replaced the dash with ! for now, but the dash was more convenient, plus the more sorting characters available, the more potential groupings (fake stacks, since real stacks don't show in the closed Left Panel).

I use the ! as a prefix for GTD/TSW tags.  I guess I am now used to Thumb on Shift - forefinger on 1...  IAC, the tags are at the top of the list for Ctr+Alt+t and Shift+Alt+T. 

I use six characters as prefixes, ! . / \ _ = and they seem to sort fine (in the sequence listed), in both the drop downs and the note list (side or top).  Adding another wouldn't hurt I suppose.

54 minutes ago, CalS said:

I use six characters as prefixes, ! . / \ _ = and they seem to sort fine (in the sequence listed), in both the drop downs and the note list (side or top).  Adding another wouldn't hurt I suppose.

That's an underscore in your list of prefixes?  What do you see when you enter it in the tag field of a note?  I get my entire list of tags, not just the ones with an underscore prefix, which of course is buggy behavior.

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, Don Dz said:

That's an underscore in your list of prefixes?  What do you see when you enter it in the tag field of a note?  I get my entire list of tags, not just the ones with an underscore prefix, which of course is buggy behavior.

I use _ as a prefix for fiscal years, so _2019.  Just entering underscore and the ! tags appear, not the _ tags.  Not an issue for me since I tend to always enter _2 and the like.  Could just work well for my use case for sure.

Archived