Feedback / suggestions for "View in Evernote" link

Steve McCormack

Idea

Scenario / use case: I'm on my SurfacePro (Gen 2) & I'm using the Trello App. I've enabled the Evernote PowerUp for the board & have attached a Note to the Card I've viewing. I click the link to see / edit / update my note in Evernote... and a browser opens with a new tab which shows me the contents of the Note in a read only view. I want to edit the note so I click on the option to "View in Evernote" which opens a second tab in the browser but does not show me the Note I'm looking at!?! Instead I see the note I've most recently being editing. I'm left wondering why I'm now in an edit mode using the web browser when I've got the Evernote client open.

Suggestion / recommendation

When a user clicks to view a link in Evernote using the web version, can a script run to check if the Evernote app is installed and either make a decision for the user (to route the request that way) or to provide the user with choices depending on the scenario with the app (Closed; Open; Open & another task is being worked on etc)

For me, I'm OK if the browser opens & then I click a link & I'm taken to the Windows Evernote App & the note is displayed when I'm on a PC / laptop / SurfacePro (similar behaviour to when I'm using the Evernote iPhone app).

Cheers

Steve

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  Do you do this?  https://danieleriksson.net/2017/02/08/make-zapier-generate-classic-note-links-evernote/

Daniel Eriksson - Why use classic note links?
If you are an Evernote power user you probably know about the classic note links, the URLs that start with “evernote://…” instead of “https://www.evernote.com/…”. The classic note links are super useful if you want to link to Evernote notes from other applications, because the link will open the native application instead of the website.

Personally I use Evernote for collecting information, and Todoist for managing my tasks. I also use Zapier to generate a new task in Todoist every time I add a new note in Evernote. Wouldn’t it be nice if the link in my Todoist task took me directly to the note in my native Evernote application, regardless if I’m on my Windows desktop or on my Android phone?

Hi Daniel, thanks for the tip & link. I’m in a test & learn phase with the use of Trello to manage work & activities, EN to manage knowledge & information & zapier to automate common activities & processes where needed. Where possible I want to use apps over websites & native integration over coding & standard processes over customisation.

So Now I think a simple fix would be a swap to a classic link in the coding on the Trello Windows App when an Evernote Power-Up has been enabled & a link to a note has been created.

I think that should solve my primary user issue in a nice elegant way!

Developers - what do you think - am I missing something?

Cheere

Steve

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, Steve McCormack said:

Hi Daniel, thanks for the tip & link.

Hi,  I'm Gaz - Daniel's who came up when I googled for an explanation of Classic links (saves me typing).

15 hours ago, Steve McCormack said:

Developers - what do you think - am I missing something?

The Devs (usually) tend not to comment on routine queries - I'd suggest you try out a Classic Link and relax if it works...  as you're a subscriber you could raise a support request if it falls over for some reason.

😉

Archived