The note is currently unavailable.

Go to solution Solved by Nick L.,

I can't for the life of me figure out why none of my notes open on my Android phone. It had been working great a few months ago and then suddenly started reporting "This note is unavailable" on every note, leaving the app completely unusable. It's not temporary or intermittent. I have not been able to open notes for months.

When I try to create a new note, the app just crashes, sends logs, and then disappears.

I have tried everything. I've cleared the cache, deleted and reinstalled the app. I even did a reset to factory image and still no luck.

For what it's worth, I can access my notes through Chrome if I tell Chrome to treat the page as a Desktop site. This "works" for reading notes but creating/editing is a hot mess in the browser. I really just want the app to work again!

@Rashid Thanks for confirming. This is a known issue to us and it's related to apps accessing permission group changes introduced in Android Q. We're trying to fix up some of these more critical bugs, but please know we don't officially support Android Q yet. 

Thanks for reporting! 

4 hours ago, Nick L. said:

@Rashid Thanks for confirming. This is a known issue to us and it's related to apps accessing permission group changes introduced in Android Q. We're trying to fix up some of these more critical bugs, but please know we don't officially support Android Q yet. 

Thanks for reporting! 

Yes but it's kinda critical to fix so we can at least open our notes.
I am not saying that you guys have to fix it right away but please consider it.

22 minutes ago, Rashid A. said:

Yes but it's kinda critical to fix so we can at least open our notes.
I am not saying that you guys have to fix it right away but please consider it.

Agreed. This is pretty important to us to get fixed so we're moving as fast as we can right now to get it fixed, but at this time we have some bugs that will take priority over this one for being on supported operating systems.

On 3/28/2019 at 8:39 PM, Nick L. said:

Agreed. This is pretty important to us to get fixed so we're moving as fast as we can right now to get it fixed, but at this time we have some bugs that will take priority over this one for being on supported operating systems.

It works as expected since today. Thanks. 

Don't know if Android Q beta 2 fixed this it your 8.9 update.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2019 at 8:28 AM, Nick L. said:

Thanks for reporting! 

Nick, I was glad to see that Ashcroft found an uninstall/reinstall fix for his phone.

Per your comment, how do we know what Android versions are "officially supported" at any time? If Verizon says there's a system update available but I'm getting ready to go on a trip where I really need all my Evernote data, it would be great to know what Android versions NOT to update to.

Thanks, Nick -- so Android 10 is supported, as long as it's not Beta...

I am still bitten by Evernote not opening pdfs via Adobe (on my Note 9). It took me a little while to realize that it was only when Evernote tried opening the pdf, not thru other Android apps. Moral for me is to get to the Evernote Android forum earlier in the trouble-shooting process :).

I had the same problem with Evernote not being able to open any notes after upgrading to Android 10.  It always said they were "unavailable". It turns out I was running Evernote 8.6.1 (pretty old!) and it wasn't compatible with the new Android system security features. As soon as I went to Google Play and upgraded to Evernote 8.12, everything worked fine.

• Like 1

Wow! I had the same problem. I just noticed that I had version 7.12. Google Play always announces when I have updates for my apps, but hasn't done it for Evernote in quite a while apparently... Everything works fine now after the update!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2020 at 1:17 AM, Jonathan Marz said:

I had the same problem with Evernote not being able to open any notes after upgrading to Android 10.  It always said they were "unavailable". It turns out I was running Evernote 8.6.1 (pretty old!) and it wasn't compatible with the new Android system security features. As soon as I went to Google Play and upgraded to Evernote 8.12, everything worked fine.

I was having the same problem, went to google play and updated and now all works fine. Thank you for the advice 

16 hours ago, Mardihem said:

I was having the same problem, went to google play and updated and now all works fine. Thank you for the advice 

You're welcome! Great to hear that I could help you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

To day after updating my galaxy A70 to andorid 10, i am facing this error which precents me to access my notes.

My evernote is 8.5.3.

Anyone have any comments?

• Level 5
19 hours ago, Keiki said:

Hi

To day after updating my galaxy A70 to andorid 10, i am facing this error which precents me to access my notes.

My evernote is 8.5.3.

Anyone have any comments?

Hi, and welcome to the forums. 8.5.3 sounds like a very old version of Evernote. Try going to the Play Store and updating to the current version.

Going into Google Play and updating has resolved this. 

I think it's poor that Evernote  don't send a message when Android have a software update to tell users that they need to update the app. If that isn't possible, instead of a message just saying the note can't be opened, a message telling users to update the app would be more useful.