Write only with Apple pencil

LuizSiqueiraNeto

Idea

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 3/25/2019 at 1:58 PM, LuizSiqueiraNeto said:

It is essential to have the option of only writing with the Apple Pencil, It is common to create lines and dots on the screen when I rest the palm of my hand on the screen. Other apps work perfectly with Apple Pencil.

I'm not a fan of using the Apple Pencil in the Evernote app, but I can put a tissue or paper under my palm

8 minutos atrás, DTLow disse:

I'm not a fan of using the Apple Pencil in the Evernote app, but I can put a tissue or paper under my hand

Maybe you're not a fan of writing in Evernote just because it's not a good experience, that's exactly why I think they should change it. Palm rejection in the Galaxy Book and Galaxy Note is independent of the application, however on the iPad the situation is different, if the application does not support Apple Pencil then the experience is not good. I'm a fan of pens and pencils, they make a lot of difference in my ability to concentrate, create and retain information, so I switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy Note and switched an iPad to a Galaxy Book. Now with the low cost of iPad 2018 with Apple Pencil support I'm finally coming back to Apple products, however I got a little frustrated by the lack of apps with good support for Apple Pencil. Nebo, Notability, and SketchBook are good examples of applications that give Apple Pencil great support. You can use Apple Pencil in Evernote without the use of paper or cloth, but it is not perfect. Another thing that bothers me in Evernote for iOS is its glitches, it is common for things to disappear and reappear on the screen, this confuses me, I have to be very attentive to what is happening on the screen so I do not get lost, most of the others applications are smooth in their movements.

• Level 5

For those who really want to use the Apple Pencil with an App like EN that has no palm recognition:

Buy a cheap cotton glove, and cut off some 2cm from thumb and the next 2 fingers. This will avoid accidental palm input, and improve the writing feeling. And it will keep the screen nice and clean.

For me, it is Goodnotes 5 for handwriting, without glove. It has everything I want (except EN sync 😟), and solves the handwritten input issue.

The idea to have a single app „that does it all, and better than anybody else“ is IMHO not possible / feasible any more in times that move that fast as we experience it. The last dinosaur of that kind is probably MS Office - anybody here who says „I love MS Office“ ?

20 minutos atrás, PinkElephant disse:

For those who really want to use the Apple Pencil with an App like EN that has no palm recognition:

Buy a cheap cotton glove, and cut off some 2cm from thumb and the next 2 fingers. This will avoid accidental palm input, and improve the writing feeling. And it will keep the screen nice and clean.

For me, it is Goodnotes 5 for handwriting, without glove. It has everything I want (except EN sync 😟), and solves the handwritten input issue.

The idea to have a single app „that does it all, and better than anybody else“ is IMHO not possible / feasible any more in times that move that fast as we experience it. The last dinosaur of that kind is probably MS Office - anybody here who says „I love MS Office“ ?

For me to use a palliative like flannel is unacceptable, I paid dearly for a product that I hope works correctly. When I think of handwriting annotation in Evernote I think about the quick annotation, that moment that I need to make a note for myself. It does not make sense for me to do this in another application to later have the work of exporting to Evernote. I can make a quick note on my Galaxy note 5 without even having to turn on the screen, it's quick to take out the pen, write on the screen and put the pen back, the note goes straight to Evernote. Today I've been using Apple's Office suite more than Microsoft's, actually Microsoft's Office today is an old white elephant in the room. If Evernote does not evolve along with the user it will be behind and will be replaced by other services, I think this will not be long in coming. Evernote today beats for reliability and speed, but with every passing day OneNote comes close to it, not to mention Apple's own note system.

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, LuizSiqueiraNeto said:

I paid dearly for a product that I hope works correctly.

I pay for a variety of tools; for example a hammer
The hammer "works correctly", but does a poor job of driving screws
I recommend using a screwdriver for screws, and Notability for taking notes on an iPad with a Pencil

>>later have the work of exporting to Evernote

Agreed, it's extra work

31 minutos atrás, DTLow disse:

I pay for a variety of tools; for example a hammer
The hammer "works correctly", but it's not good at driving screws
I recommend using a screwdriver for screws, and Notability for taking notes on an iPad with a Pencil

>>later have the work of exporting to Evernote

Agreed, it's extra work

I do not think it's acceptable, there are already services that do what I want very well, it's just not multiplatform. There is an culture around Evernote of accepting your limitations that I do not really like. Evernote have "note" in your name for a reason, it need to be good in take notes.The devices have evolved, it is becoming increasingly natural to use them, Evernote still continues in the old desktop style. It's a pity that OneNote is not yet mature enough to be used on multiple platforms, otherwise I'd just use it. Evernote need to evolve fast otherwise it will be out of the game. Evernote does not have to do everything, but it has to be great in Taking notes.

• Level 5

My opinion: Evernote is great in organizing things, like notes, and finding anything lightning-fast and reliably.

For taking notes, other Programms offer more: Markdown editors or plain better editors with more options on one side, tools for handwritten notes on the other. If I would have to choose where to put my coders hours, I would rather improve the typing editor before entering handwriting for notes.

Which means for me as a user, before waiting for EN to catch up on handwritten notes, I rather pick an alternative, and work out how to combine both into my best solution for what I need to do.

P.S. The hint with a glove was more general - there are other apps without proper palm identification as well. I am not using something like this ... and of course it is no solution for an improperly designed GUI.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, LuizSiqueiraNeto said:

You know, I'm not asking for a new feature, I just want the feature that already exists to work correctly.

No problem with your palm rejection request, and it has my vote.

I actually thought it would be addressed by the OS wth minimal action by Evernote.

• Like 1
2 horas atrás, PinkElephant disse:

My opinion: Evernote is great in organizing things, like notes, and finding anything lightning-fast and reliably.

For taking notes, other Programms offer more: Markdown editors or plain better editors with more options on one side, tools for handwritten notes on the other. If I would have to choose where to put my coders hours, I would rather improve the typing editor before entering handwriting for notes.

Which means for me as a user, before waiting for EN to catch up on handwritten notes, I rather pick an alternative, and work out how to combine both into my best solution for what I need to do.

P.S. The hint with a glove was more general - there are other apps without proper palm identification as well. I am not using something like this ... and of course it is no solution for an improperly designed GUI.

I know a lot of people uses Evernote basically typing, there's nothing wrong with that, by the way it's very efficient, but that's not what attracted me to Evernote. I remember as it was yesterday, I think it was 2009, I was surprised by his ability to recognize manuscript, I was really impressed. At that time there was only the desktop version, so I created my annotation method. At the time I used a Nokia N73 and a Palm III. I photographed everything I wanted with the N73, when I wanted to make some note I used the Palm. The cool thing is that I could make notes with the Stylus, just as if I were making a note on a notepad. When I arrived, I placed the Palm in the cradle and transmitted the notes as images, I loved the fact that Evernote recognized my manuscripts, fantastic. During all this time I followed the evolution of Evernote with frustration, it takes too long for them to add new features, the last two that made me very happy was the purchase and integration of Penultimate and integration with the Galaxy Note. Looking for an alternative I have already tested a lot. Google suite, OneNote + OneDrive, S-Note, Samsung Note, LG Notes, each of these programs have some kind of limitation that make them worse than Evernote. But I think this is going to change soon, Google suite and OneNote + OneDrive are evolving fast. Recently I saw an interview with the new CEO of Evernote, this rekindled my hope. I am attentive, observing who will reach the finish line first. I'm thinking of writing on my blog about my saga looking for the holy grail of the most natural computer man interaction possible. I'm a Star Trek fan, I've always tried to integrate computers into my day-to-day life. Those old advertisements showing the computer being used by everyone at home made my mind. 

wp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F06%2Fcommodore-1980s-ad.jpg%2Ffit-in__1200x9600.jpg

4b45601b669d7d197a99c1a3c5db4f2072261df4.jpeg

b298eb849cf3b9a38a6478e97013afe1.jpg

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, LuizSiqueiraNeto said:

The cool thing is that I could make notes with the Stylus, just as if I were making a note on a notepad.

I'm a fan of handwritten notes.

The Evernote base code for notes (enml) does not support handwriting storage.
The handwriting is stored as an image file attachment; it can be created by any editor.

• Like 1
7 horas atrás, DTLow disse:

I'm a fan of handwritten notes.

The Evernote base code for notes (enml) does not support handwriting storage.

The handwriting is stored as an image file attachment; it can be created by any editor.

That's right.  This brings me nostalgic memories.

FA4CAE13-A7FF-4BC4-A04E-59EF028A6928.jpeg