johnfrew2104

Search not working.

I have the current beta installed on my mobile and the search function has stopped working. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing. When I start a search it looks like it is trying but nothing comes back. Huawei P20 Pro. 

Does your search work ok if you log into Evernote on your PC/Mac via the web?

What’s the search?

19 minutes ago, johnfrew2104 said:

Have not tried but I need it to work on the phone. 

I understand that, but I am trying to see if your search index is totally messed up, or if it is just on your phone.

This sounds like it could be related to ticket #2804215 that I opened Mar 22, 22:14 PDT. Quoted below is what I put in the ticket, except for the link to my activity log. Pixel 2 XL, Android 9, EN for Android 8.9.

I didn't post here until now because I wanted to give support a chance to fix or at least respond to this very serious and embarrassing failure before making it public, but as of now, I've gotten no response. I am a premium user.

Time permitting, I will re-install Evernote on my old tablet and see if the problem is there too.

I am disgruntled.

I have a saved search that I've been using for ages. The query is pretty basic:

notebook:"Actions Pending" tag:1-Now

On the Android app, it was working fine until a couple of hours ago. Now all I get is a mostly blank screen with some reminders. Here is a link to an EN note with three screen shots, plus captions I wrote, showing the badly broken search results produced by this query: 

https://www.evernote.com/l/AOVdalA0KShCNpPlKVtbGAqlpTplXceci3M/ (plus additional tests I did)

Here is link to an EN note with the activity log, including my EN, Android versions and HW info: 

https://www.evernote.com/l/[censored]/

In fact, all my other saved searches in Android are broken in a similar way. Searching by tag from the menu seems to work fine, i.e. produces results that look reasonable although I haven't checked them in detail.

On the Windows client and the Web client, all saved searches are working fine. For the save search query above, there should be 6 notes found, one of them has an upcoming reminder set for 3/23/2019 7 pm, the other 5 have no reminders set.

Seriously, what's going on here? How could something as fundamental as search just break in a production environment?

• Like 1

Update: I re-installed on my NVIDIA Shield K1 (Android 7; EN Android app 8.8.1) and saved searches are working fine. But, they are still badly broken on the Pixel as per the ticket I opened.

EN support is supposed to be open Sunday (for chat, at least) but apparently they don't check email, as I haven't heard a thing from them.

Same issue with my Note9, I updated the Evernote Android app this weekend, and I can't search anymore.

• Like 1

I have the same problem with my Huawei P20. Evernote version of 8.9_beta3.

The problems with searching for notes have started for approx. a week ago.

With over 4000 notes, I am completely dependent on the search function and use it many times daily.

But now search does not work even if it looks like it is working. There are no results.

My device is an Android Samsung Galaxy S6.

Evernote ver. 8.9

Screenshot_20190326-114012.thumb.png.7d66d4af6231e9d3632006d90b4bb7ac.png

Hope for a quick solution.

Also on Note9. When I start a search I get a blank screen and Sync started on the bottom left. After a while, I get a message that the application has crashed.

Since this problem seems to apply to users of the beta version, I'd suggest adding your voices to the report on it in the beta forum:

If it's a serious problem for you, it might be best to drop back from the 8.9 beta to the current released version, 8.8.

6 hours ago, Bielefeldt said:

The problems with searching for notes have started for approx. a week ago.

With over 4000 notes, I am completely dependent on the search function and use it many times daily.

But now search does not work even if it looks like it is working. There are no results.

My device is an Android Samsung Galaxy S6.

Evernote ver. 8.9

Screenshot_20190326-114012.thumb.png.7d66d4af6231e9d3632006d90b4bb7ac.png

Hope for a quick solution.

Solution:

It's a little weird, but if my keyword starts with capital letter, then the search function works.

It was a good discovery.

• Like 1

Hey folks, 

We're actively investigating this issue right now. Thanks for your patience. 

• Like 2

Same problem with Note 8 after the update (non-beta).

Cheers

Alex 

Same for me, Evernote 8.9 on Galaxy note 8 android Pie, 6500 notes and many troubles in searching.

Sometimes it works but many times it doesn't, and often it ends crashing.

Tried to clear the cache and then to reinstall, still not working properly.

On 3/24/2019 at 5:19 PM, John in Michigan USA said:

This sounds like it could be related to ticket #2804215 that I opened Mar 22, 22:14 PDT. Quoted below is what I put in the ticket, except for the link to my activity log. Pixel 2 XL, Android 9, EN for Android 8.9.

...turns out my problem wasn't related to this problem. I'd accidentally installed a Beta version of the app. It is surprisingly easy to do, even though I long since left the beta programme on Google Play. I think it happened because, when I got a new phone, G Play offered a list of previously installed apps that I might want to put on the new phone. I probably clicked Evernote without drilling down to see it was Beta.

Same problem here, also Note 9. The only version I see in the play store is 8.9, there does not seem to be an older version available.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:34 AM, John in Michigan USA said:

...turns out my problem wasn't related to this problem. I'd accidentally installed a Beta version of the app. It is surprisingly easy to do, even though I long since left the beta programme on Google Play. I think it happened because, when I got a new phone, G Play offered a list of previously installed apps that I might want to put on the new phone. I probably clicked Evernote without drilling down to see it was Beta.

Updated update: I am no longer sure that I installed the Beta version of the Evernote app by accident. I am beginning to think that Evernote, or Google Play, is distributing the Beta version to non-Beta users. I think this for two reasons:

1. two days ago, the EN app on my Pixel 2 XL (that was working fine) auto-updated and now I appear to have the beta software again (ver 8.9 according to Menu -> Settings -> Support) on my Pixel.
  2. Yesterday, the EN app on my NVIDIA Shield K1 (that was working fine) auto-updated and now it too appears to have the beta software (ver 8.9 according to Menu -> Settings -> Support).

I am interested if anyone is experiencing this who has NOT been a past member of the Android Beta program?

I opened Ticket# 2814243 re issue 1 above. The first line support person clearly understand the problem but is apparently powerless to do anything about it. The support person(s) above that seem mired it some sort of dysfunction, as there has been no update to the ticket since it was opened. Sad, sad face.

32 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Updated update: I am no longer sure that I installed the Beta version of the Evernote app by accident. I am beginning to think that Evernote, or Google Play, is distributing the Beta version to non-Beta users. I think this for two reasons:

1. two days ago, the EN app on my Pixel 2 XL (that was working fine) auto-updated and now I appear to have the beta software again (ver 8.9 according to Menu -> Settings -> Support) on my Pixel.
  2. Yesterday, the EN app on my NVIDIA Shield K1 (that was working fine) auto-updated and now it too appears to have the beta software (ver 8.9 according to Menu -> Settings -> Support).

I am interested if anyone is experiencing this who has NOT been a past member of the Android Beta program?

I opened Ticket# 2814243 re issue 1 above. The first line support person clearly understand the problem but is apparently powerless to do anything about it. The support person(s) above that seem mired it some sort of dysfunction, as there has been no update to the ticket since it was opened. Sad, sad face.

Very, very puzzling. On my Android phone, the app is indicated as v. 8.8.1. In the Play Store app, this is also the current version number, with an update date of January 24, 2019, and no further updates are shown as available. At https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evernote, v. 8.8 is also listed as the current version--but the update date is April 4, 2019, just two days ago! 8.8 has been out much longer than that; I updated to it on February 4. Sometimes new versions are made available on a rolling basis, rather than being available to everyone at once, so it's conceivable that some people could get a public release v. 8.9 rather than a beta. But I can't find anywhere where the current release is anything above 8.8. @Nick L.? @Shane D.? Any advice?

Oh, yeah -- and see this post on another thread:

And this one:

• Like 1

@Dave-in-Decatur thanks for the links, I will start following those discussions too. It looks like Evernote on Android is having a version contamination problem.

Astoundingly, this appears to have been going on for quite a while.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

@Dave-in-Decatur thanks for the links, I will start following those discussions too. It looks like Evernote on Android is having a version contamination problem.

Astoundingly, this appears to have been going on for quite a while.

Wow. I had the search issue as well, deinstalled/left beta, everything worked fine. A few days later, I got an automatic update, thinking it was the normal - non beta version. Search ist broken again. After I read your post, I checked the app version - 8.9. Seems to be the same beta for non beta users problem?! 

Edit:8.9 seems to be public. Does that mean the known bug from beta was simply released despite the complaints in this forum?

8 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

@Lexbrkly It might be interesting to check your activity log and post the build number and revision number of 8.9 that you have. Here's what I found when I did this.

Evernote version: 8.9(1082813)

Evernote revision: 8.9_2464

Evernote type: public

I guess that's not beta. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 12:50 PM, chronistin said:

Same problem here, also Note 9. The only version I see in the play store is 8.9, there does not seem to be an older version available.

A deinstall and reinstall solved the problem for me. 

4 hours ago, chronistin said:

A deinstall and reinstall solved the problem for me. 

Didn't work for me.

I had this problem. I fixed it in Android app -> Settings -> Search and Storage -> clear local search history & clear cache.

I tried clearing cache/storage from Android -> Apps -> Evernote, but this did not seem to work (not sure why).

Same problem for me. Android 9, EN 8.9, premium account. Not searching anymore. I unistall and reinstall and nothing. Same problem. If you leave serching trying to work for a long time the app crashes.

Only on android app. Windows app is working correctly.

Account Info
----------------------------------------
UserId: 
Email: 
Username: 
Business Context: false
Business Only Account: false
Legacy Business Account: false
Service: https://www.evernote.com
Auto Sync Enabled: true
Master Sync Enabled: true
Sync Interval: 3600000
Accessibility: 3
Offline Search is activated
Offline Search Index is ready

Device and Install Info
----------------------------------------
Brand: samsung
Model: SM-G9650
Product: star2qltezh
Display: 
Display Width: 1080
Display Height: 2094
Display Density: 2.625
Android version: 9
Preloaded: false
IsTablet: false
Evernote version: 8.9(1082813)
Evernote revision: 8.9_2464
Evernote type: public
WebView version: 73.0.3683.90
Editor version Uno: 62.4.7951
Editor version Classic: UNAVAILABLE
Network operator: 72406 / Vivo
Locale: pt_BR
isRTL: false
Package: com.evernote
Arch: armv8l
Arch supported: [arm64-v8a, armeabi-v7a, armeabi]
Orientation: Portrait
Resources-Folder: values-v24
Data path: /data/user/0/com.evernote/files
Internal storage: 79 GB / 111 GB
External storage: 79 GB / 111 GB
SDCardStatus: null
Installer: com.android.vending
Rooted: false
Xposed: false

2 hours ago, Vrykolas said:

I had this problem. I fixed it in Android app -> Settings -> Search and Storage -> clear local search history & clear cache.

I tried clearing cache/storage from Android -> Apps -> Evernote, but this did not seem to work (not sure why).

Yes!

I tried what you suggested, cleared local search history and cleared cache from within app settings and now it seems to work correctly!

Thanks a lot!

On 3/26/2019 at 4:43 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Since this problem seems to apply to users of the beta version, I'd suggest adding your voices to the report on it in the beta forum:

If it's a serious problem for you, it might be best to drop back from the 8.9 beta to the current released version, 8.8.

I have this problem as well and I've never participated in the beta program. Evernote forcing a beta or a quasi-beta versions on users in the Play store shouldn't count as a beta participation.

I've unsubscribed from beta and search still doesn't work. Cleared apps cache, restarted device ... 

4 hours ago, Mirtma65 said:

I've unsubscribed from beta and search still doesn't work. Cleared apps cache, restarted device ... 

To clarify, in clearing the cache did you do this in the Evernote app itself? Settings > Search and Storage > Clear local search history & Clear cache was the procedure that was working for some people.

15 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

To clarify, in clearing the cache did you do this in the Evernote app itself? Settings > Search and Storage > Clear local search history & Clear cache was the procedure that was working for some people.

Yes, that worked (for now). Text under "Clear Cache" in EN Android (Clear data stored on SD card ...) is misleading. I don't have an extra SD card in Note9.

• Like 1

Here we are again...

Just updated to new version by Play store (8.9(1082853) revision 2470) and the issue is there again, and even worse as now clearing local search history and cache from within app settings doesn't work anymore...

3 hours ago, Luca Ginatta said:

Here we are again...

Just updated to new version by Play store (8.9(1082853) revision 2470) and the issue is there again, and even worse as now clearing local search history and cache from within app settings doesn't work anymore...

Have you reviewed Evernote on the Play Store yet. I think it's high time...

Having the same problems - search not working on Android. Search is working on Evernote for Web.

Cleared cache and search history - didn't solve the problem.

Also, my list of saved searches on Android has only 5 saved searches - it used to show all of my searches, with the same list as in Evernote for Windows and Evernote on the web.

Hope this problem is fixed SOON - very annoying.

I'm having the same problem. Evernote in a web browser on my laptop works fine. On my Andoid phone, Evernote 8.9 the search does not work.

Sometimes I can make one search work if I run CCleaner but that only works once.  I'll have to do CCleaner again if I need Evernote search an hour later. That's odd because I have 2GB available on my internal memory and 8 GB free on my external SD card.

The "spinning" search indicator seems to show that it is searching for an item that matches, but it just keeps searching and searching. My phone is a Galaxy J7 Star SM-J737T running Android 8.0.0. 

Same problem here, on different Android devices 🤔

Is there any workaround for this latest occurence? Deleting Evernote Cache does not do the trick..

The problem with the search has nothing to do with any other platform. It's Android specific. So you may stop "cross-checking" it elsewhere. If Evernote support insists on you doing it anyway they are wasting your time.