Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've been using Evernote for several years for my small team, mostly the free plan, and mostly as an automated notes repository. With my team expanding and with more funds, we've been seriously considering increasing the centrality of Evernote in our work processes, and upgrading to a paid plan.

Which is when I logged into Evernote web, and within 20 minutes decided that what I need is a way to migrate my team and all my notes out of Evernote and into a better tool, one that's designed by a company that respects its users more.

You see, I recently purchased a Chromebook, which became my main device. Which means I'll be using the web version most. I was pleased to see it's gotten a major update, but when it came to using it, it's just unbearably slow to an unusable degree. I don't want to wait for minutes every time I want to add a note or every time I want to switch from one note to the next.

Add to that, there are just far more full featured options on the market now. I won't mention any here (I'm not here to plug any alternatives), just noting that new tools now have universal embeds, beautiful & smooth UI, fast operation, and no bugs. Some even have full-featured task management, spreadsheets/databases, etc on top. For a tool that needs to do just *one* thing and do it right and fast, Evernote is just very mediocre.

Come to think of it, this is what made me stop using Evernote on a daily basis in the first place (preferring to simply make it an automated notes repository) several years ago - the very sluggish operation and the terrible UI/UX. I hoped all these years that it'll get better, but it only got worse.

I didn't have to write this post btw, had Evernote had the foresight to allow non-paying users file technical reports/complaints, but then you expect me to pay *first* and then ask you questions about basic workablility/operation of your tool, which is frankly ridiculous.

Now actively looking for alternatives to Evernote and for ways to migrate all 14k+ notes out.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/22/2019 at 7:59 AM, IBaghdadi said:

had Evernote had the foresight to allow non-paying users file technical reports/complaints, but then you expect me to pay *first* and then ask you questions about basic workablility/operation of your tool, which is frankly ridiculous.

Evernote provides these forums for users to post "technical reports/complaints" and ask questions
Non-paying users are welcome.

>>Now actively looking for alternatives to Evernote and for ways to migrate all 14k+ notes out.

I'm not aware of a better service for storing my documents.  There's a good selection of editors.
As to "migrating out"; It's always been easy to export our data out of Evernote on the Mac/Window platforms
- simply select the notes and use the export feature; I run a weekly full export in html format, a 30 minute process

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, IBaghdadi said:

I didn't have to write this post btw, had Evernote had the foresight to allow non-paying users file technical reports/complaints, but then you expect me to pay *first* and then ask you questions about basic workablility/operation of your tool, which is frankly ridiculous.

I can't comment on the sluggishness of Evernote Web on a Chromebook, since I have no experience with that. But I do just wonder what level of support you offer the non-paying users of your business services. Frankly, I think that if Evernote had had this "foresight," a lot of people would be here complaining about their poor planning and predicting they'd soon be out of business.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, IBaghdadi said:

You see, I recently purchased a Chromebook, which became my main device. Which means I'll be using the web version most. I was pleased to see it's gotten a major update, but when it came to using it, it's just unbearably slow to an unusable degree.

If you're using the web beta, I'd suggest reverting to the prior version: go to your account settings, look for the link that says "Go back to current version", and click it. Or just use thing link here: https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action?disableIonToPrevious=

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, jefito said:

If you're using the web beta, I'd suggest reverting to the prior version: go to your account settings, look for the link that says "Go back to current version", and click it. Or just use thing link here: https://www.evernote.com/Settings.action?disableIonToPrevious=

Yeah, I don't use the web version often, but the Current version seems to be quite snappy compared to historical versions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, DTLow said:

Evernote provides these forums for users to post "technical reports/complaints" and ask questions
Non-paying users are welcome.

>>Now actively looking for alternatives to Evernote and for ways to migrate all 14k+ notes out.

I'm not aware of a better service for storing my documents.
It's always been easy to export our data out of Evernote on the Mac/Window platforms
- simply select the notes and use the export feature; I run a weekly full export in html format, a 30 minute process

@DTLow With full regards to you being a senior poster here, how long are we going to continue this fan-boy games? How long are we going to live in denial? When someone posts a problem, why do we have to go with 'It works fine with me.', doesn't matter. maybe, it works for you, but in general what is the software experience of Evernote for most users? Are you still living in denial that new tools like Notion have come up, and do a much much better job than Evernote in almost all ways? 

Do we continue to live in denial that hardly any mentionable 'meaningful features' have come up in Evernote or for that matter, even if EN continues to be focussing on ironing out existing issues ( This has been said from the era of Phil Libin, then O Neill and now Ian small as well), why does it take so long to fire up the app, or to create a note? 

How much long are we going to live in denial mode? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/23/2019 at 9:25 AM, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

Are you still living in denial that new tools like Notion have come up, and do a much much better job than Evernote in almost all ways

For editing, the Evernote editor/format is adequate for basic notes
I use dedicated editors for serious work; Word/Pages for  word processing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets, Notability for note-taking on my iPad, ...

I am aware of Notion; lots of good editor stuff but imho it does not do a better job at document storage/retrieval

>>As a senior poster in the forum, you need to reply based on how the 'average evernote user would use the tool'.

No, I don't "need to" do any such thing.

I am an experienced Evernote user, and I post my ideas of how to best use the product/service.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Whatever the emotional side of this is about:

We live in free, market-driven societies, where every day somebody will rise, say „today is my day“ and found a new service to please / amaze the world. So it is the rule of the Innovation game that there will be newer, better offers compared to what is.

No need to fight for this. Anybody can choose and decide to jump boat.

When you are a while with a service you like (or even you dislike, but did not give up yet / who said „Office 365“ loud now ?), will invest into his doing so: Learning the tricks, implementing the use case, scripting around, etc. So it depends on this at least as much as what service offers what and is superior now to which other under certain assumptions.

From my experience it pays for the user to stick for quite long with a given ecosystem, even if it is a bit behind the (new) front runners. What is important to me is that there is no Lock-In; I want to be able to grab my data any day and leave if I wish to do so.

What is obvious in the case of EN is this:

- The company has grown to a size when significant resources go into operating and maintaining the existing system, and comparatively few go into „the next big thing“. And significant changes (for example a really good editor, including stylus support, handwriting etc.) cost a lot because the whole thing has to be touched, not only the editor.

- EN moves itself more and more into a „company filing and coworking“ use case. This is where the money is to be earned, and consequently where the developers will be putting their hours. So sorry for those who run on the BASIC model - no company can survive for long when this is their target customer base. IMHO the basic account mainly exists because if a paying user shares something with somebody outside of a company, the basic account is a good tool because the person receiving the share can collaborate without needing to go through a licensing process.

So be happy as it is, be unhappy, but stay on, or kiss and say goodbye.

But I see no need to blame each other as not being loyal (to what ?) or not clever enough to leave in this very moment.

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

IMHO the basic account mainly exists because ...

I also see the free Basic account as an introduction to the service/product; try before you buy

Under the freemium model, founder Liben indicated that the paid conversion rate increased the longer Basic users participated, and the more data accumulated

Share this post


Link to post

i agree that in real world terms, there is only so much for a 'basic' user. For users who wish to stick to 'free/basic/ for perpetuity, there are limits with every cloud service, as they are funded by the paying guys, only. 

 

But what about paying premium users? If EN has reached a point where significant amount of resources are needed for maintaining the huge beast, then it is also the priority of the top guys to hire additional employees etc to keep focussing on innovation new features etc? Millions of us are not paying just for the cloud storage/month, we are paying for the constant feature upgrades too, right? But hardly anything meaningful has come out, in the last few years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, DTLow said:

For editing, the Evernote editor/format is adequate for basic notes
I use dedicated editors for serious work; Word/Pages for  word processing, Excel/Numbers for spreadsheets, Notability for note-taking on my iPad, ...

I am aware of Notion; imho it does not do a better job at document storage/retrieval

DTLow, it isnt about 'I use.. I am... I .. I.. I... ", evrybody can't be you, they can only be 'themselves'. As a senior poster in the forum, you need to reply based on how the 'average evernote user would use the tool'. Sometimes, being fan boys, makes us mask and tend to ignore some of the serious shortcomings of the product. 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

As a senior poster in the forum, you need to reply based on how the 'average evernote user would use the tool'.

There is ~absolutely~ no restriction placed on 'senior members' about what they can and cannot post, except for the standard forum rules. They don't 'need' to do anything, and can post what they like.

If you like Notion, then use it and be happy.

If you have better answers to user problems than what you're seeing here, then post them.

If you want to criticize other forum users for not posting what you want them to post, too bad. Unless it's factually incorrect, that is, in which case your opinion is as valid as theirs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/23/2019 at 7:18 PM, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

Millions of us are not paying just for the cloud storage/month, we are paying for the constant feature upgrades too, right?

Right

Here's a summary of paid benefits  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Compare-Evernote-subscription-plans

Constant updates are required to match OS/device changes; other updates are discretionary.  Evernote does not charge for software upgrades.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it’s still a pig

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post

hello,

Evernote got bigger and had more paid subscribers and yet in the autumn of last year had to get rid off staff because of lack of funds. 

The new CEO made no bones as  far as  immediate gaols are concerned.

Maybe forum members such @DTLow know a lot more (pre-beta testing and such-like) but the ordinary user does not even get the identical product when it comes to operating systems. 

So, yes, indeed, the points raised by 

@Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy and many others can be dismissed ad infinitum or understood as urging Evernote to close the gap.

*Are cosmetics such as icon change meaningful improvements?*

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JohnLongney said:

had to get rid off staff because of lack of funds

As I recall the release,  the CEO said they had staffed up to prepare for some ambitious expansion plans that didn't happen,  so numbers were cut back to what they actually needed for a year of consolidation.  The company was also described as "financially sound" so it wasn't like they were desperately scrabbling for savings...

Elsewhere I've seen a comment that the 'new guys' (like Notion) have an easier time because they don't have 225M current users with a huge range of legacy OS's and devices.  Any changes Evernote makes have to take all existing users into account.  Someone new can start with the experience of using a product developed over the past 10 years and leapfrog forward from there.

And yes,  keeping an app current with hardware, browser and OS updates is an increasingly important overhead for any long-established company - something the new guys will be finding out in the next year or two...

I'm not excusing or promoting any apps here - and I can only speak for myself,  but I strongly believe that you should find an app that works for you and stick with it unless and until you find you can't live without some feature or other.  If you can find an alternative and it's cost effective to go through the learning curve and conversion process - you should switch.

So far nothing else has appeared to offer anything significantly better than my current premium account.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

But what about paying premium users? If EN has reached a point where significant amount of resources are needed for maintaining the huge beast, then it is also the priority of the top guys to hire additional employees etc to keep focussing on innovation new features etc? Millions of us are not paying just for the cloud storage/month, we are paying for the constant feature upgrades too, right? But hardly anything meaningful has come out, in the last few years. 

Who knows, maybe the new guy is paying down the tech debt accumulated over the last 10 years so as to create a solid base for new features platform wide.  If so, that would be great, give them some time.  No guarantee they will be the features you or I seek though.  Unfortunately.  Still ends up what product suits my needs versus the inertia and pain/gain of change. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Sugeeth Krishnamoorthy said:

As a senior poster in the forum, you need to reply based on how the 'average evernote user would use the tool'. Sometimes, being fan boys, makes us mask and tend to ignore some of the serious shortcomings of the product. 

Perhaps I am being too philosophical about this, but I don't see how anyone can post realistically based on any experience but their own. What is this "average Evernote user"? For myself, I try to perceive the level of understanding of a question being asked, and reply in a way that will help a user on that level (if they're asking for help, which the OP here was not). But I do so based on my own level of experience, which may be more or less than the poster's. And I tend to post based on my own needs for using Evernote, which also may or may not be the same as others'.

This thread started out because someone posted that the Evernote Web version was unusably slow on their new Chromebook, so that they need to look for something else. I sort of understand the desire to tell Evernote what they're doing wrong for you, a Basic user who has not paid them a penny to do anything for you, right or wrong. But Evernote is not your girlfriend. You do not need to tell Evernote that you are breaking up with it, and suggest that it could stand to lose a little weight and maybe get a personality transplant. And to suggest (as the OP did) that it is Evernote's job to make it easier for you to do so, for free of course, seems a little ridiculous to me.

Summary: it doesn't take a fan-boy to think that some of the complaints here step over the line into the whine-zone; and no one can post based on guessing at an experience other than their own. In my opinion, of course.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This thread started out because someone posted that the Evernote Web version was unusably slow on their new Chromebook

A problem potentially created by EN leaving the featureless Beta and dead Classic as options.  Still a mystery to me why a company would leave landmines at its doorstep.  My limited experience with the "Current version" has been that it is very responsive, though maybe a bit slow to startup.  🤷‍♂️

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CalS said:

A problem potentially created by EN leaving the featureless Beta and dead Classic as options.

I'm guessing that the Classic version is still around because people are still using it, since it's the only one that supports a list view. And its snippet view with reminders is ok, too. They should be able to tell how much each version is being, btw. But three versions is a mystery to me, and the lack of communication about their strategy there would be more concerning to me if I used the web client any significant amount.

Share this post


Link to post

As far as I know Chromebooks would require the Android version of Evernote. Going by my experience on  two Samsung Galaxies (S7 and S9)  I can commiserate. 

These devices work very well as gps-supported car navigation systems but fail when it comes to Evernote. Opening an existing note may work but any alteration or addition is likely to fail, leaving a blank note. Contents wiped, gone! 

@gazumped

no sane employer would lay off qualified staff for the sake of one year of consolidation and no company would ever admit to cash flow issues as the real cause for redundancies,
In the case of Evernote last year financial analysts hinted at problems some time before it became known that Evernote had lost more than one or two executives.

Evernote does have its place in my workflow but failing reliable accessability on the Androids and a long period of vagaries with its builds on Windows I changed sides.

 

 

 

 

,  

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jefito said:

I'm guessing that the Classic version is still around because people are still using it

Agreed.   I’m just saying dead since it hasn’t been enhanced since Moby Dick was a minnow.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

no sane employer would lay off qualified staff for the sake of one year of consolidation

Sorry - that was my careless phrasing.  I'm too lazy to go get the actual quote,  but the way I read it,  Evernote set their sights real high and that didn't happen;  so there was a cut back to realistic needs for the foreseeable future.  "Consolidation" - as in: fixing stuff that didn't work as well as it should -  was a later ongoing plan,  though I'd imagine that going through the whole existing code base and fixing performance issues would eat up a lot of resources that you might not need in everyday operations...

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

As far as I know Chromebooks would require the Android version of Evernote. Going by my experience on  two Samsung Galaxies (S7 and S9)  I can commiserate. 

These devices work very well as gps-supported car navigation systems but fail when it comes to Evernote. Opening an existing note may work but any alteration or addition is likely to fail, leaving a blank note. Contents wiped, gone! 

I use Evernote for Android a lot on my Samsung Note 8, and I've never experienced anything like this. For me, it works quite reliably (if missing a function or two that the desktop program has). If this is happening to you on a regular basis, it might be good to contact Evernote's tech support about it.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, JohnLongney said:

As far as I know Chromebooks would require the Android version of Evernote. Going by my experience on  two Samsung Galaxies (S7 and S9)  I can commiserate. 

I thought Chromebooks were designed more for using browser based cloud apps, so more likely EN inside of Chrome?  Just wondering...

Share this post


Link to post

Whether it is the web or the mobile app - in both cases EN will run on the servers, not on the local device. The performance of the local machine will have (within limits) little effect on the performance. And to me it seems that EN is not forgiving on communication blinks when syncing. So maybe it would be better to check the communication chain for hiccups than to revise the Chromebook or the local app.

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Whether it is the web or the mobile app - in both cases EN will run on the servers, not on the local device. The performance of the local machine will have (within limits) little effect on the performance. And to me it seems that EN is not forgiving on communication blinks when syncing. So maybe it would be better to check the communication chain for hiccups than to revise the Chromebook or the local app.

Not exactly.  EN can be run without a server connection on any mobile device that supports offline notebooks.  One syncs later when a connection is available.  Not so much with the browser where a connection is always required.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, CalS said:

Not exactly.  EN can be run without a server connection on any mobile device that supports offline notebooks.

Actually, I'm guessing that any note that's been cached on a mobile device can be edited. Conflicts are always possible in those cases, though.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jefito said:

Actually, I'm guessing that any note that's been cached on a mobile device can be edited. Conflicts are always possible in those cases, though.

When without a connection and I try to access a note not in an offline notebook I  get a full screen No internet connection download the notebook message.  No chance to create a conflict.  IOS anyway. 

104F226C-25C0-463E-8F55-C3374B09CDA6.thumb.jpg.9ccab93e82ab4f69b491938fb2c30de0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CalS said:

When without a connection and I try to access a note not in an offline notebook I  get a full screen No internet connection download the notebook message.  No chance to create a conflict.  IOS anyway.

I'll have to try  it on Android. It's have to eb a note you accessed on the device before you went offline, but the rules around those aren't published, as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, jefito said:

I'll have to try  it on Android. It's have to eb a note you accessed on the device before you went offline, but the rules around those aren't published, as far as I know.

Access a note, go offline, come back, and yes you can access the note with IOS.  It works, but might not be the way to set up a workflow for no internet connection times.

Share this post


Link to post

From my experience, EN will try to download even „offline“ notebooks in iOS as long as there is a internet connection - even if it is weak or intermittent. The preference is allways to use data from the server.

To make sure there are no syncing conflicts, my strategy is to download the „offline“ notebooks with a stable connection, then turn mobile data off, and only sync again when a good data link is available. I often work in EN while on the train, but there I would never try to sync. The data link has hiccups from time to time, and EN does not like it at all. So I go offline with the EN app, and work with my local „offline“ data.

Share this post


Link to post

OK, so, on my Android phone, here's what I did:

  • With Wi-Fi and mobile data on, loaded a note that doesn't reside in an offline notebook; ensured that it was loaded
  •  Exited out of the note
  • Disabled Wi-Fi and mobile data
  • Reloaded the note. Got a message about"unable to obtain note lock", or something. Makes sense; no web connection.
  • Added some text to the note, and clicked the checkmark to save.
  • Exited out of the note.
  • Re-enabled Wi-Fi and mobile data.
  • Synched.
  • Checked the note on my PC, and lo -- the edit made it.

So yes, at least on the Android client, you *can* edit a note that it not in an offline notebook, even if you are disconnected from the Internet, so long as the note is cached locally.

That's exactly what I guessed before, and it turns out it's correct, though as noted, it's not something to base a workflow on.

Share this post


Link to post

Never ever had a compliant with the Android experience, atleast from the point where O'Neill took over. ( With Phil Libin, yes issues were there). Since then, Android has been a pleasure to use :) . Whether it is loading time, response time, what ever. 

But the Windows, and Web versions, are not really up there :( . Windows has definitely improved in the last 2-3 years, but still i am not happy with on and off, Slow load times, time to respond etc. How does the software usage experience pan with other paid/subscribed software products for windows, in terms of performance? Evernote experience, has been painful, buggy and lagging for a large use time. Yet, i pay for it (before i become a consultant, i would still pay as an end user, though) , because i love this product, i can't imagine a life without Evernote. I am not interested in jumping ship, but if EN doesn't match up in terms of feature addition, many are going to quit ship, putting the financial future of Evernote at stake. We need to keep this in mind, too. A person cribbing about a product he loves, doesn't necessarily have to move elsewhere. 

We are in the forum, to just say and admit, 'what is what'. 

I used to use IOS earlier too. And i wasn't happy with the performance, there too much. It was kind of okay.. okay.. 

I think DTLow linked me to a post showing a list of additional features that came with the service. We all are quite long time users and power users, and most of us here, use most, if not all features. We are aware of the features, toolsets. question is, all these features were there even at 3 years ago. Nothing new has happened, since then. The Spaces feature was one for the business users, the premium - individual users have been totally neglected for quite some time a long time. 

How would i be bothered about a new brand re-design and so much PR, when there is so much work to be done? I would not say the 'dark mode' as a great functionality feature, but beyond this, what else? Look up the monthly beta release blogs. ( I am a beta tester for Windows too). The logs only keep talking about 'Bug Fixes' && 'Improvements', for the last few years already. I dont even remember the last time, i sae the word 'New Feature' there. 


What meaningful new ''functionality'' features have we incorporated? So, even if we assume, that EN was only fixing bugs and working on existing issues, we still haven't addressed them in 3+ years? And how long more shall we continue to keep addressing these issues? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, SK_123 said:

Never ever had a compliant with the Android experience, atleast from the point where O'Neill took over. ( With Phil Libin, yes issues were there). Since then, Android has been a pleasure to use :) . Whether it is loading time, response time, what ever. 

<snip>

??? I have no idea what this post is intended to mean. Maybe try narrowing your comment focus, or using quoting to specify who/what you're responding to?

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/22/2019 at 10:59 AM, IBaghdadi said:

I've been using Evernote for several years for my small team, mostly the free plan, and mostly as an automated notes repository. With my team expanding and with more funds, we've been seriously considering increasing the centrality of Evernote in our work processes, and upgrading to a paid plan.

Which is when I logged into Evernote web, and within 20 minutes decided that what I need is a way to migrate my team and all my notes out of Evernote and into a better tool, one that's designed by a company that respects its users more.

You see, I recently purchased a Chromebook, which became my main device. Which means I'll be using the web version most. I was pleased to see it's gotten a major update, but when it came to using it, it's just unbearably slow to an unusable degree. I don't want to wait for minutes every time I want to add a note or every time I want to switch from one note to the next.

Add to that, there are just far more full featured options on the market now. I won't mention any here (I'm not here to plug any alternatives), just noting that new tools now have universal embeds, beautiful & smooth UI, fast operation, and no bugs. Some even have full-featured task management, spreadsheets/databases, etc on top. For a tool that needs to do just *one* thing and do it right and fast, Evernote is just very mediocre.

Come to think of it, this is what made me stop using Evernote on a daily basis in the first place (preferring to simply make it an automated notes repository) several years ago - the very sluggish operation and the terrible UI/UX. I hoped all these years that it'll get better, but it only got worse.

I didn't have to write this post btw, had Evernote had the foresight to allow non-paying users file technical reports/complaints, but then you expect me to pay *first* and then ask you questions about basic workablility/operation of your tool, which is frankly ridiculous.

Now actively looking for alternatives to Evernote and for ways to migrate all 14k+ notes out.

 

Why use the web version when ChromeOS now supports running Android apps ?

Share this post


Link to post

You know the problem is that for so many people who visit this forum, the LVL 5's (whose posts are highlighted and are important right?) are the ones representing the company because there really seems to be no interaction from the company to its forum users. Now that's fine, but like it or not, in a way they become de facto customer support, which is probably why some people say you should probably think of the common man. When someone who appears to be relatively new comes in here posting with a problem they get jumped on by some frequent posters with "there is nothing better than Evernote." It's very similar to the famous "you're holding it wrong" iPhone antenna fiasco. Maybe we can all just listen more and whine less, I mean we're all grown adults right? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Jeremye said:

When someone who appears to be relatively new comes in here posting with a problem

If the intention is to solve the problem, it's the experienced users who are proposing solutions,

.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

If the intention is to solve the problem, it's the experienced users who are proposing solutions,

.

And that's great, and this post isn't a problem solving post from the start. But you're literally the first person on this post responding. You give factual information about the forums, but your help with exporting the notes is 

Quote

 

>>Now actively looking for alternatives to Evernote and for ways to migrate all 14k+ notes out.

I'm not aware of a better service for storing my documents.
As to "migrating out"; It's always been easy to export our data out of Evernote on the Mac/Window platforms
- simply select the notes and use the export feature; I run a weekly full export in html format, a 30 minute process

 

Now maybe I'm a crazy millennial, but help doesn't start with your opinion. Who cares if you haven't found a better service? And easy is relative to what you know about the service right? I've read a ton of your posts, and I appreciate your knowledge about this product. I have learned a lot and have been inspired by you, but to be quite frank, the way you give help comes off pretty condescending sometimes. And as I said earlier, without regular company interaction here, you are the de facto customer service rep. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jeremye said:

and this post isn't a problem solving post from the start.

The OP posted "Now actively looking for alternatives to Evernote and for ways to migrate all 14k+ notes out."

I took on this as a problem, and looking for solutions.

>>Who cares if you haven't found a better service?

Perhaps the OP has an interest in opinions on the alternatives, and ways to migrate ...

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Jeremye said:

 When someone who appears to be relatively new comes in here posting with a problem they get jumped on by some frequent posters with "there is nothing better than Evernote."

Nonsense. Show me where level 5 member in here says any such thing, in this topic, or anywhere on the forums for that matter.

The fact is that most of the long-timers here are well-acquainted with the flaws in Evernote, but either they're able to work around any flaws satisfactorily, or they're not relevant to their workflows. What you will hear most of us -- me at least -- say on the topic of Evernote tends to be more along the lines of "Evernote works well for my use case, though it may not for yours." Beyond that, the Level 5 folks will usually make a good faith effort to try to understand other user's problems (not always easy) and try to steer them to some workaround, strategy, or something that works for them (not always possible, plus we're not always conversant with Evernote alternatives). And many people have been helped by other forum users, not just Level 5's. But hey, if you want to change the culture for whatever reason, maybe you should give it a try for awhile.

With respect this particular topic, given its melodramatic "Farewell Evernote" title plus the rest of their post, it's pretty clear that they didn't want to be helped.Seemed to be a passive-aggressive way of getting a parting shot in, on their first and only post here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

@jefito I did, two posts above yours. The first four posts of this thread don't try and understand the problem, they just offer suggestions. And it was passive-aggressive, from all sides. Why even respond to this post originally? I was simply shedding light on my view and feeling of the posts I see in these forums. Even DTLows post above yours says he doesn't try to understand the problem, he jus stays "Perhaps the OP has an interest in opinions on the alternatives, and ways to migrate..." but he never asked that. Again, not understanding the problem, just offering solutions. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/12/2019 at 4:00 PM, Jeremye said:

EvenDTLows post above yours says he doesn't try to understand the problem

I don't know what to say; I do try my best, as an experienced user, to understand the problems posted, and offer solutions.

My  objective is to better use the product/service,
even if it's alternative products and export of data; I'm willing to help users

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Jeremye said:

@jefito I did, two posts above yours.

Um, not really. "I'm not aware of a better service for storing my documents" is not the same thing as claiming "there is nothing better than Evernote".

18 hours ago, Jeremye said:

I was simply shedding light on my view and feeling of the posts I see in these forums. Even DTLows post above yours says he doesn't try to understand the problem, he jus stays "Perhaps the OP has an interest in opinions on the alternatives, and ways to migrate..." but he never asked that.

That the OP was not interested in solutions should be obvious. They did say that they were "actively looking for alternatives to Evernote and for ways to migrate all 14k+ notes out", but never once asked for help, nor have they come back in 3+ weeks since. If you want help, then you should ask for it, but they didn't do that. Their post post was a kiss-off, nothing more.

For that matter, you haven't tried to answer the original poster either. If you really thought that that was so important, then maybe you should have started there rather than poking sticks at what others have said.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/12/2019 at 11:33 AM, Jeremye said:

You know the problem is that for so many people who visit this forum, the LVL 5's (whose posts are highlighted and are important right?) are the ones representing the company because there really seems to be no interaction from the company to its forum users. Now that's fine, but like it or not, in a way they become de facto customer support, which is probably why some people say you should probably think of the common man. When someone who appears to be relatively new comes in here posting with a problem they get jumped on by some frequent posters with "there is nothing better than Evernote." It's very similar to the famous "you're holding it wrong" iPhone antenna fiasco. Maybe we can all just listen more and whine less, I mean we're all grown adults right? 

I would agree there is a small percentage of nothing better than EN posts in the forum, which the forums would be better off without.  Better is always a personal litmus test.  At the same time I think the majority of the posts are focused on the problem presented by the OP, as best can be based upon the clarity of the question. 

End of the day, EN is a piece of software that may not exactly match someone's specific needs.  Folks that come here with that need typically get a no can do but here is a workaround pending EN making any changes answer, anyway, hopefully that is what they get.  Then its a free market decision for the OP, modify a work flow or seek another product.  That's when "Maybe we can all just listen more and whine less, I mean we're all grown adults right?" kicks in.  All the drama in these forums re EN not doing what someone specifically wants is hard for me to fathom sometimes.  Take this topic:

On 3/22/2019 at 7:59 AM, IBaghdadi said:

I didn't have to write this post btw, had Evernote had the foresight to allow non-paying users file technical reports/complaints, but then you expect me to pay *first* and then ask you questions about basic workablility/operation of your tool, which is frankly ridiculous.

Now actively looking for alternatives to Evernote and for ways to migrate all 14k+ notes out.

Really, pay first yet 14k notes have been accumulated.  I'm posting now to share my view on this secondary conversation.  Only thought for the OP is to make sure they weren't using the Web Beta which is not full featured and would not work well for anyone, which is above.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...