Accidentally deleted a notebook

Kyoko-san

Idea

HI, How can I restore a notebook? I meant to delete a note, however the notebook was selected instead and was deleted including all the notes in it. Nothing in the Trash, even notes within that notebook. Hope there is a way to undo the deletion. Please help!

7 replies to this idea

Once you delete a notebook, it's gone. If you have a local back like Time Machine, you should be able to restore them with these steps: 

1. Disconnect your computer from the internet (this is very important)
2. Press and hold the **Option** key on your keyboard, then select **Help > Troubleshooting > Open Database Folder**
3. Keep the database folder window open, then exit Evernote by going to **Evernote > Quit Evernote**
4. Move the numbered folder from the database's current location to your computer’s desktop
5. Move the database folder from your Time Machine backup into the database location in Step 4
6. Open Evernote
7. Export any notebooks you wish to save by right-clicking the notebook name and selecting "Export", then selecting ".enex" format, and making sure to export tags
     * Do this for all the notes you’d like to retrieve from the old database
8. Reconnect to the internet and let your database sync from Evernote Web
9. Import the .enex files from Step 7 by going to **File > Import**

• Level 5*
On 3/15/2019 at 11:05 PM, Kyoko-san said:

Nothing in the Trash, even notes within that notebook.

That would only happen when deleting Local notebooks

edited:  Only tested on a Mac and iPad not Windows   (thanks @EdH)

• Level 5*
On 3/22/2019 at 8:40 AM, DTLow said:

That would only happen when deleting Local notebooks

Not on Windows. When you delete a notebook, it warns you that you are about to permanently delete notes, even those in the trash as they are associated with that notebook, and when you delete, they are gone forever. I've not done this enough on my Mac to know what it says.

Hey there - for those reading in 2022 or beyond, this has changed! I accidentally deleted a notebook thinking I was deleting a note, too, and was sweating and panicking when I found the notebook's notes in the trash. You can restore them - your book won't come back, but you can create a new one and move them back there. Hope this helps someone!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I wouldn’t say it is different in effect, but AFAIK deleting a notebook always send all notes in it to the trash.

The notes could be restored from there, but only into a notebook. If you wanted them all in one separate notebook again, you needed to create that notebook first, and then restore the notes to that notebook.

For me this has never changed, it was the same with legacy as with v10.