Context menu's Send To > Evernote for the Windows 10 App loses shortcut link with each update

Capture.JPG.dab3a45958334c3d04409cf0484977ca.JPG

I realize this is a bit redundant, as I can create an import folder for my files or install the traditional program, but whenever the Windows 10 App updates, the shortcuts I create for it manually break because the version number is embedded in the folder's name (C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Evernote.Evernote_[Version Number, etc]\VFS\Evernote.exe). I use said shortcut to add an option in the SendTo context menu so that I can send lots of files to Evernote (as independent notes) from explorer. It fits into my workflow very conveniently, but I grow tired of the frequency at which I have to keep setting it up.

Out of curiosity and versatility if I run into scenarios like this where there isn't an easy fix, has anyone found a creative solution to this issue?

• Level 5

When I choose several files with the explorer (shift-click for a continuous range / ctrl-click for individual files, and then pick „Evernote“ from the „Send to“-options, there is one new note created for each of the files. Up to now this works independently from EN updates.

Almost certainly related: EN for Windows, problem since at least 1 year ago. I like to pin the EN app icon to the windows taskbar. But when the client updates, that pinned icon stops working. Sounds like this could also be caused by the EN practice of putting the version number in the path to the executable. But windows setup.exe (or any decent install packagers/wrappers/utility) have long since had support for allowing setup to hunt down the places in Windows where this path is hard-coded and update the path as part of the install process without having to trouble the user. EN should be doing this.

As to creative workarounds, you could probably write a little post-install fixer program in Windows PowerShell or maybe a .cmd batch file would do it.  Maybe someone has already written one? If you strike out, PM me.

• Level 5

Out of curiosity, are these problems with fixed version numbers in filepaths for Evernote updates occurring in the Windows Store version of the app, or in the version downloaded from Evernote directly? I'm still on Windows 7, so my experience may not be relevant. But with the version downloaded from Evernote, I never have this problem. I just tested with a PDF document, and using the context menu Send To created a note with the document attached (in the most recently used notebook, not the default, a bit of an annoyance, but it does work).

15 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Sounds like this could also be caused by the EN practice of putting the version number in the path to the executable.

That's not our practice. That's how the Microsoft Store works.

@dconnet I see.

Still, I have to believe that MS Store would have something like an install package builder that is smart enough to identify and update the path to the exe no matter where on a Windows PC it is hard-coded (shortcuts, registry entries, %variable% declarations, etc). I am tempted to complain to MS support, but there are so many MS products and support options, I have no idea where to start. Does Evernote have a dev account with MS support where they can ask about a fix for this from MS Store?

7 minutes ago, John in Michigan USA said:

fix for this from MS Store

From my point of view, it's working as designed. Users aren't supposed to be traversing down into the WindowsApps directory - that's why it requires admin level access. You can use the start menu and pin (store apps are just ... different)

It sounds like you'd be better served using the direct download version of Evernote instead...

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, dconnet said:

It sounds like you'd be better served using the direct download version of Evernote instead...

I figured this was likely the case. Thanks for clarifying that the version number is a Microsoft Store practice!

It's a slight bummer that the Windows Store version doesn't support this feature.

On 3/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, dconnet said:

(store apps are just ... different)

They really are! 😂

On 3/12/2019 at 9:15 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

in the most recently used notebook, not the default

I like it that way, as I can open the notebook I want and they get put right where I want them to go.

On 3/11/2019 at 9:46 PM, John in Michigan USA said:

As to creative workarounds, you could probably write a little post-install fixer program in Windows PowerShell or maybe a .cmd batch file would do it.

I considered this, but it doesn't seem worth the investment 🤔... If you happen across one, please let me know!

Archived