:(. \Bootstrapper.cpp.981) 0x656:Error opening installation log file.Verify that the specified log file location exist and that you can write to it.

• 1 month later...

I had this happen when Evernote tried to update and also when I tried to re-install Evernote.

The cause (for me) was that a Group Policy had 'tattooed' my registry. As GPUPDATE /force only re-writes applied policies and doesn't remove old residue I had to trawl through the Group Policy registry keys. I had noticed that .msi files appeared to be blocked. Evernote uses a .MSI file to install/update.

The resolution (for me) was to change the registry key 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer\DisableMSI' mine was set to '2' - (Windows Installer is always disabled for all applications. No installs are allowed including repairs, reinstalls, or on-demand installations) I set it to '0' (Windows Installer is always disabled for all applications. No installs are allowed including repairs, reinstalls, or on-demand installations.)

I hope this helps, a word of warning though "Messing in the registry when you don't know what you are doing can seriously damage your PC and your sanity!

• 1 year later...

This worked!  I did not have DisableMSI at all under Installer so I added it as a String Value and was then able to install the .MSI file from C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi

Thanks!