Reminders

dsheppard

Idea

Hello,
An idea to enhance Evernote reminders.
The current method to add a reminder is to wade through some menus to set up a single reminder for any particular note.  Then once triggered or to change it, we repeat.
I suggest creating a syntax that works *within* a note to provide the same and additional power.
For example:
$$NoteReminder$$ March 31, 2020 $$
or
$$NoteReminder$$ monthly starting January 22, 2020 $$
I'm not sure exactly what the syntax should be, but please include the possibility of recurring reminders according to real-life needs.  For example:
   — “weekly starting Tuesday May 2020” (Tuesdays only starting in May 2020)
   — “monthly starting April 1, 2020” (the 1st of each month starting Apr 2020)
   — “monthly starting 3rd Tuesday” (3rd Tue of each month starting now)
   — “quarterly starting January 1, 2020” (1st of every 3rd month starting Jan 2020)
   — “yearly starting 1 day before 2nd Sunday of March 2020” (change our clocks 1 hour)
Then, when entered and updated with the Evernote server, it calculates and comes back by highlighting in green when it sets the reminder.  Otherwise, highlight in red if something’s wrong. It could even respond by putting the plain text of the next occurrence of the reminder right in the note as a confirmation, perhaps highlighted in blue.  So, for example, the above would show
$$NoteReminder$$ (green)March 31, 2020 $$ (blue)March 31, 2020
$$NoteReminder$$ (green)monthly starting January 22, 2020 $$ (blue)January 22, 2020"
Further, any note can have as many reminders as a user wishes, but only the next one in time highlights in blue and shows up in the general Reminders list.
Perhaps the reminder syntax should be within a 1x1 table, or a between horizontal lines.
Because this would work with the note content, this method would work on any platform.
Thanks for listening.

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 3/10/2019 at 11:02 AM, dsheppard said:

An idea to enhance Evernote reminders...
I suggest creating a syntax that works *within* a note to provide the same and additional power.

I like the multiple reminders option.

Evernote hasn't implemented triggers from parsing note contents or recurring reminders but we can implement this on our Macs with scripting (Applescript) 

Third party Filterize implements these features.

• Level 5

My personal solution is to share a link to a note into „Things“. There I handle the task management of my notes, together with non-EN tasks.

For me it is a question of perspective and focus: Is the priority to keep the reminders where the notes are, or get the notes (as a link to avoid duplicates) to the place where the tasks are handled ?

Because I use primarily iOS, where EN reminders are even weaker than with other clients, I prefer to focus on a 1st class task management. Recurring tasks, automatic renewal after execution, tasks set to dates far in the future (in EN on iOS you can’t even pick the year), due dates in addition to deadlines etc. EN would have to go many miles extra to reach that level.

• Level 5*

I created some hotkeys using PhraseExpress to manage reminders.  Alt+1 to create/close, Alt+2 to change, Alt+3 to clear.  Not perfect but saves a lot of "wading".  Recurring reminders are an oft requested feature, probably another thread to cast a vote.

Archived