New Web version suddenly doesn't support my browser

• Level 5

I went out of town for a week, and when I came back and went to the Evernote Web interface, where I'd been using the new version in my relatively infrequent uses of that interface, I got the message "Sorry, we don't support your browser at this moment. To use the new Evernote Web experience, please use the latest version of Google Chrome or Safari." My browser is Opera, and it is the current version, 58.0.3135.79. It's Chromium based, I think. Anyone else experiencing such a problem? I can use the older Web version just fine--and again, I don't use it very much--but I really like the new version and would like to get back to it. Are we really required to use Chrome or Safari to use the Evernote Web interface?

Yes Dave, you're not alone. It happened to me in the past few days. Like yourself using Version:58.0.3135.79 of Opera. 

I don't use the web version that often, preferring the windows client, but I did think it odd that it had been working and support seems to have been withdrawn. 

• Like 1

I'd say I noticed it around mid-week, but as It could be several days between use of the web client, it might well have been broken since the weekend. 

Did Opera not get an update around last weekend?

• Level 5*

I think I read somewhere that Opera is automatically set to update to the latest version.  As a matter of interest I tried Brave (also a Chrome clone) and updated to the 'new' web UI.  I got there,  but it take a very long time to load the display.  (In fairness it does warn you that upgrading 'for the first time' will take longer*)

Brave is up to date
Version 0.58.21 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

*This isn't the first time I've used that version,  but I prefer the old UI,  so all my browsers were set back that way...

• Level 5*

Random input again - chasing up my Brave issue (I'm a version behind @CalS and my browser says "you're using the most recent version") I ran into what I assume are Chrome related issues.  Updating Brave - the existing browser install couldn't download an update,  and suggested I reinstall.  Following the link from the browser to its download page takes me to a full-on Chrome download page. 

Going back via Brave.com I can get a new version (now Version 0.60.47 Chromium: 72.0.3626.119 (Official Build) (64-bit)) which seems quite quick. 

Odd things seem to be happening in the Chrome camp... 

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Following the link from the browser to its download page takes me to a full-on Chrome download page. 

Yeah, Brave seems to incorporate standard Chrime extensions/add-ins.  

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, CalS said:

Yeah, Brave seems to incorporate standard Chrime extensions/add-ins.  

Yeah,  but this was to update Brave,  not for an add-in.  I'm using the new version now and enjoying it (with full clipping).  Maybe I was just having a bad day.

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Yeah,  but this was to update Brave,  not for an add-in.  I'm using the new version now and enjoying it (with full clipping).  Maybe I was just having a bad day.

My bad, I read it wrong.   Maybe I’m having a bad day? 

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

OK, this I don't understand. Futzing around with my account settings, I found that under Evernote Web there appear to be 3 possibilities (only 2 of which are displayed at any one time): classic, current, and beta. Selecting either current or beta will get me the "We don't support your browser message," and send me back to the old-fashioned version (screenshot 1 below). But selecting "classic" gets me something with a left panel, a notes list, and a note panel, which functions just fine in Opera (screenshot 2 below). This may be "classic," but I don't remember ever seeing it before; it's not what I had as the new Evernote that worked under Opera up till a couple of weeks ago. (Perhaps my use of Evernote Web does not extend back to the Classic Era.) Anybody know what the what? 

Evernote Web 'older'.JPG

Evernote Web 'classic'.JPG

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This may be "classic," but I don't remember ever seeing it before;

That is the original EN web for Windows, screenshot 2.  Classic has fallen into disrepair and does not function well anymore.  Only one I've found that works is Current and it works on Brave, FF, and Chrome for me.  A lag in load time, but okay after that.  But I don't use it that often, mostly when I do some form of maintenance on my wife's account.  Work Work Work.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
40 minutes ago, CalS said:

That is the original EN web for Windows, screenshot 2.  Classic has fallen into disrepair and does not function well anymore.  Only one I've found that works is Current and it works on Brave, FF, and Chrome for me.  A lag in load time, but okay after that.  But I don't use it that often, mostly when I do some form of maintenance on my wife's account.  Work Work Work.

Thanks, Cal. I barely use Evernote Web at all, so classic's functional shortcomings may not impinge on me. If they do I'll go to, um, whatever the heck that ugly, ugly thing is in the other screenshot.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks, Cal. I barely use Evernote Web at all, so classic's functional shortcomings may not impinge on me. If they do I'll go to, um, whatever the heck that ugly, ugly thing is in the other screenshot.

Current.  Think new Coke.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5

I've been in touch with Evernote support about this, and they confirm that there is a problem. Now, I prefer to use Opera because it is independently developed and maintained, and not connected to Google, Apple, or Microsoft. FWIW, I just downloaded and installed Firefox, and when I logged in to Evernote on it, I got exactly the same error. So clearly something is in fact going wrong, but given that Firefox and Opera are also independent of each other, it's not clear that it's the same thing on both browsers. Very frustrating, but my use of Evernote Web is light enough that this won't really interrupt my workflow. Nor will it cause me to start using Chrome or Safari--but am I right in assuming that the new Evernote Web is working properly on them?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

What about support for Epiphany? It's a Linux browser powered by WebKit, it allows users to create nice webapps that integrate in the OS. I believe the only barrier to it being supported (since it uses WebKit like Safari) is the user agent being blocked because it's not Opera, Chrome or Safari.