Evernote for Windows 6.18 beta 2

Iriska

• Ex Employees
Today we released Windows 6.18 beta 2. It's available here!

What’s in 6.18 beta 2?
New:
Shortcut Keys:
  • FindInEvernote: Ctrl+Shift+F 
  • CaptureScreen: Ctrl+Alt+S 
  • CopySelection: Ctrl+Shift+Alt+A 

Fixed:
  • Security update
  • Print window appears when viewing note that contains clipped PDF
  • Selecting "business notebook" from "All notes" dropdown switches to Personal side in Legacy Business accounts
  • Notes are not saved locally after premium user reached monthly upload limit
  • Unable to open new note window if users save a note as template then invoke Template Gallery
  • Iriska pinned this topic
  • Level 5*

OK I'm going in...  😳

Edit:  Immediate result - new shortcuts:

• Ctrl+Shift+Alt+A replaces selected text with "Á" rather than copying it... (in both Evernote and a text app...)
  • Ctrl+Alt+S... doesn't seem to do anything...  whether Evernote is selected or not.
  • Ctrl+Shift+F... doesn't seem to do anything...  whether Evernote is selected or not.

Did someone forget a full stop?

Win 10 64bit

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

Immediate result - new shortcuts:

Works for me... I did have to do a 'Restore default' in the options since I typically don't set global keys. Remember - we changed the defaults - we don't automatically change you to the new defaults.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
13 minutes ago, dconnet said:

Works for me... I did have to do a 'Restore default' in the options since I typically don't set global keys. Remember - we changed the defaults - we don't automatically change you to the new defaults. 

Doh!  Thanks - I hereby apologise for the whinge.  All working now...  😏

• Haha 1

I don't want to be rude, but it's two months since your new CEO announced you were going to "fix essential features" and I see no evidence of it. One and a half months after the last GA and there are only 5 bug fixes in this beta. Are we to assume everyone is working on the web app and that the desktop apps are on their way out? If not, what are you all doing all day?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, dixonbruce said:

I don't want to be rude, but it's two months since your new CEO announced you were going to "fix essential features" and I see no evidence of it. One and a half months after the last GA and there are only 5 bug fixes in this beta. Are we to assume everyone is working on the web app and that the desktop apps are on their way out? If not, what are you all doing all day?

I don't think we should expect any major changes until v.7 is released. My guess is that won't be released until closer to the summer at the earliest.. 

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, dixonbruce said:

I don't want to be rude, but

Um, ok...

it's two months since your new CEO announced you were going to "fix essential features" and I see no evidence of it. One and a half months after the last GA and there are only 5 bug fixes in this beta.

Were any of the fixes listed not essential? They all look like bug fixes to me, rather than new features, which was the implication of the announcement. And the promise was that they were going to fix essential features; no promises were made as to how quickly they'd be fixed. Not to mention the possibility that they may not have surfaced all of the changes they've made, or that they may be laying groundwork for future fixes, but haven't been completed yet. Any number of reasons why you might not be seeing as many fixes as you'd like as soon as you'd like them.

Reminder: the stated goals in the CEO blog post:

Our goals are simple but meaningful:

1. We’re going to create a more coherent, more consistent Evernote experience for every version of the product we ship, starting from Evernote Basic on up—an experience that fixes the essential features on which all of us depend.
  2. We’re going to make fundamental changes to how we develop and deliver software—so that we can start to ship faster across all the devices we support, and so that all of us can experience the same Evernote, regardless of which device we use to experience it.
  3. And we’re going to make improvements to the core infrastructure that sits behind the applications you experience so that we can deliver an Evernote with the speed, reliability, and scalability that all of us expect.

Oh, and check your dates: 6.17 dropped on Jan 10th -- with new features, granted, but those were probably already in the pipeline -- so it's actually less than 2 months since then. It's not clear how much of what's going into 6.18 was in the works at that time, and iwhether some of that time is being spent rearchitecting for ."speed, reliability, and scalability", that may cut into visible feature additions / bug fixes for the time being.

Maybe it would be better to just relate which problems that you think are essential  to be fixed.

12 hours ago, dixonbruce said:

Are we to assume everyone is working on the web app and that the desktop apps are on their way out?

You can assume what you like, but have you actually seen the web client lately, at least the web beta? Not ready for prime time; certainly I couldn't use it for my day-to-day Evernoting, whereas the Windows Evernote still keeps chugging along. I often liken Evernote to GMail due to a number of architectural similarities, but Evernote's web experience is nowhere near what GMail's is in terms of performance and functionality. If they ever come close to that, then using the web client wouldn't be something to worry about.

If not, what are you all doing all day?

... yep, and there it is.

• Like 1

I wish I had as much time as you do to get into such a lengthy discussion, but the fact remains that two months later nothing seems to have changed. Obviously this annoys you and your loyalty is, while difficult to comprehend, err just difficult to comprehend. Anyway, I hope Evernote get their act together one day.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dixonbruce said:

I hope Evernote get their act together one day.

Considering that (IMHO) there is no single other app that comes close to Evernote's range of features and accessibility across operating systems and devices,  I think the expression might be amended to more together,  but I can totally agree with that. 

However,  like @jefito I can relate to apps servicing 225M+ clients across the various systems and devices taking a little time to change course - a little like parking a supertanker.  Sniping meantime is understandable but seems like impatience.  Evernote probably won't respond because they don't have the time,  but other users might spare some time to share a thought or two,  and it would be rude to... oh.  That's where we came in isn't it...?

1) quirk: had a quirk where screen clipping (using the old Print Screen mapping) was clipping the screen as expected, but notes were "auto selected" after each screen clip - so each time (in a row), I clipped, I'd have those notes 'piling up' as all selected.  Went into options and did  a reset for the key mapping and used the new ctrl-alt-s and the problem didn't duplicate.

2) suggestion: "insert template" - I use the template feature some-what regularly -but what would have me use it even more is an "insert template" feature.  Example is I can take a photo of something - but need to generate a basic report with that photo - it would be nice to go to the photo note and "insert template" to drop that template into place.  As it sits I either generate a new note with the template then copy & paste the photo, then go back and delete the photo note.... or the otherway 'round - go to my template, copy & paste it into the photo note.    An "insert template" option would be quite helpful.

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Ethan Mings said:

The print function does not work correctly.

No matter what I do, all printouts are in landscape mode.  

Will this be addressed in the next beta?

Hi.  Have you checked your printer settings?  Mine seems to work OK with both formats.

• Like 1

Image annotation bug where the image gets 'broken' seems to be back... or at least for me it's happening - unless  "Filterize" is causing some confusion and sync issues.  Anyone else seeing this?

I can right click on it and 'save attachments' (to desktop for example) and the image is properly saved.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.728b4555d2f6ae9515fd203b8701e898.png

• Ex Employees
On 3/10/2019 at 10:59 AM, ej8899 said:

Image annotation bug where the image gets 'broken' seems to be back... or at least for me it's happening - unless  "Filterize" is causing some confusion and sync issues.  Anyone else seeing this?

I can right click on it and 'save attachments' (to desktop for example) and the image is properly saved.

Thanks for this report. We're investigating this now. 

On 3/10/2019 at 8:59 AM, ej8899 said:

Are you able to reliably reproduce this issue? Unfortunately we are not able to. Please provide the steps you followed.  Thanks a lot!

21 hours ago, CalS said:

Yeah, I had one of these today.  Fortunately, I was able to get the PDF back from history.

Could you please provide steps to reproduce. It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Em Gee said:

Could you please provide steps to reproduce. It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I assume you mean repeat the steps to lose the attachment?  No can do, this note hadn't been referenced in a year.  When I opened it the "broken attachment" icon was there.  This had to do with taxes so I know I used the attachment last year.  So who knows when/how it got lost.  Save attachment did not work so I went to history  (sometimes the attachment is in the note but not visible).  Only had one version in history and fortunately that version contained the attachment.

• 3 weeks later...

Entering an underscore _ as the first character in the tag field of a note calls a list of all tags, not just those beginning or containing an underscore.

Also, entering the same character in the left tag list search while the left panel is closed correctly shows all tags starting with an underscore (also on the one above the note list), but with the left panel open, I only get a partial list.

Something similar has been mentioned before:

• Iriska unpinned this topic
  • Iriska pinned this topic

I have Enable Beta Features enabled.

Until very, very recently, Evernote informed me to update correctly.

For the past several days (maybe as much as a week), Evernote has informed me to update to version 6.17 (public).

Any way to fix this?

2 hours ago, TdeV said:

I have Enable Beta Features enabled.

Until very, very recently, Evernote informed me to update correctly.

For the past several days (maybe as much as a week), Evernote has informed me to update to version 6.17 (public).

Any way to fix this?

Not a bug, see