Basic iOS writing improvements

Bigabs

Idea

I use Evernote on a Mac and in iOS, and the iOS version is really poor by comparison. Here are some specific requests for using Evernote on iPad or iPhone:

• Please provide the same text color options for Mac and iOS. The default text color options between the two platforms are not the same (e.g. the blues are completely different)
  • On the desktop (Mac) version, you allow me to create a palette of colors that I can use when typing. Please allow me to access this same palette when signed in on the same account in iOS
  • Add an “Insert horizontal line” option
  • Allow us to set and change font sizes (small, medium, large is pretty lame)
  • Allow us to select fonts (yes, we do want to do that)
  • Add an option for inserting tables
  • Put the icons for text justifying, and paragraph indents, and text color, in the main control bar instead of buried behind hidden menus that cause the keyboard to disappear 
  • If I misspell a word and the software spots that, it offers a small black pop-up box with the correct spelling in white. If I touch the pop-up box, it corrects the spelling BUT removes the space before the corrected word, meaning I then have to go and sort out this new nonsense word that has been formed, which makes the whole process incredibly slow and clunky

Overall, the versions for Mac and for iPad/iPhone feel like products designed by different teams who didn’t talk to each other! Once the basic design was set, there seems to have been little cross-platform co-ordination, which is frustrating for the user. (To give a silly example, the order of the icons for bullet points, number list and check mark lists are different on the two versions - not a big deal, of course, but it is indicative of a lack of attention to detail and care for the end-user experience - can you imagine Apple ever allowing that to be the case?)

The whole point of Evernote is uniform access on different platforms - yet the editing functions are very far from uniform, and it feels like Evernote can’t be bothered to sort out pretty basic functionality issues that you MUST have noticed. I’m paying you a decent sum of money each year, but I am now looking at alternative software options moving forward, as Evernote software seems to be receiving very little upgrading or improvement. These issues have been around for years now - and the iOS version seems to be receiving only the most basic levels of attention, and even then pretty slowly (e.g. the length of time it took to make the iPad clock viewable again in Evernote when Apple upgraded their software). 

So, why would I stay with a company that is coasting and not reinvesting its high fees into product improvement?

1 reply to this idea

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, Bigabs said:

I use Evernote on a Mac and in iOS, and the iOS version is really poor by comparison.

This is a common complaint for all platforms; only the Windows/Mac platforms have the full featureset.
There is a "Common Editor" project that should deliver some feature parity, but we haven't seen too many improvements.

Archived