export of notes to MS Word files

FilipS

Idea

Hi,

Would it be possible to implement a feature enabling export of notes to Microsoft Office format (.docx)? I am working quite frequently on manuscripts in Evernote and in the end I need to transform the note to MS Word document. Copy-Paste approach doesn't work well since it do not transfer all features (e.g. highlight) in the way to be editable in Word. I am sure that I am not the only one who would appreciate such feature.

Thanks for any response.

Filip

• Like 2

10 replies to this idea

I've had trouble getting the words and images to cut from Evernote and paste to Word.  I use my notes to build documentation for my customers.  Today I found a work around.  If you use the latest Export to HTML feature and then cut and paste from a web browser into Word it works!  Words, images and even the headers come over correctly in Word!  It is a couple of extra steps, but easier than move one image at a time.  I'm running 10.13.4 on Windows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

1988733786_ScreenShot2019-02-25at08_59_26.png.3b40279810eb2380c185caed7686c2f7.pngNot clear why you need Word format "in the end".
I can convert to PDF format; it's ubiquious

If I need Word format, I would be using MS Word as an editor, with the document stored in a note as an attachment

storing the note as an MS Word attachment is not a good option for me. I like using evernote for manuscript preparation because I can easily include new ideas and modifications very easily and everywhere in my cell phone, computer, tablet, etc. At the end I need to add some features, which evernote do not provide (EndNote citations, some special characters,..) that is why I need MS Word at the end.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, FilipS said:

storing the note as an MS Word attachment is not a good option for me. I like using evernote for manuscript preparation because I can easily include new ideas and modifications very easily and everywhere in my cell phone, computer, tablet, etc. At the end I need to add some features, which evernote do not provide (EndNote citations, some special characters,..) that is why I need MS Word at the end.

If your end goal is MS Word, and your end product requires features in MS Word that Evernote doesn't have (of which there are many), then a Word attachment is your best bet if you also want to have the content in Evernote. You can still use the note as a place to capture new ideas easily, but you should push them into the attachment when it's most convenient (i.e., pile up some new thoughts, and every so often, push them into Word).

DTLow, How about stop beating around the bush for a change. There is no such feature, you could say, and that's it. Why in the world would you even care , and I quote:

On 2/25/2019 at 4:52 PM, DTLow said:

why you need Word format "in the end"

It's ridiculous, and the answer should actually come BEFORE the question: The guy NEEDS it! It is his business, not yours.

Now, FilipS, in terms of whether it is possible, unfortunately, being a few years a user of EverNotes my self, I can say that I couldn't find the feature. 

Pretty jealous, these giant software producers, aren't they. You start feeling much like in religion: You either believe in my god, or I don't wanna hear from you.
Here's my approach: Instead of paying £26.99 a year for EverNote, I'm no paying 59.99 per year for Office. A whole lot better, seamless and no pretentions, offers colossal features and I have no hustle when it comes to export. First, there's no need for any other export than pdf. Second, I have 8 types of word extensions, and o lot of others, including .odf, and .html and .rtf, which are, the three of them, rich and can be read by free software. I know we are talking of more than double the price, but trust me, it IS worth it.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 1/30/2021 at 9:34 AM, OviOne said:

How about stop beating around the bush for a change. There is no such feature, you could say, and that's it. Why in the world would you even care

Obviously there is no such feature - that's why @FilipSposted the feature request

The user has noted a format deficiency in Evernote, and I'm suggesting work-arounds (pdf and MS Word)

• Level 5

Anybody can vote this thread up who believes this would be a useful feature.

Personally I will not vote for it - I am against bloating a software just to enable it to do things other programs already do.

We have enough other treads about EN being slow, using too much memory and CPU power etc. This is not solved by adding functions - so if there are functions added, they should be special, not a me-too-version of other programs.

For serious writing I would probably not use MS Word at all, I would go for a good authoring program like Scrivener. For storing the files EN allows to save files of any type as attachments.

On 2/27/2019 at 10:57 AM, FilipS said:

Yes, it is possible, but the features like tick boxes, highlighting, etc. are not active (can't be edited) in MS word after the export

old thread I know (for forum bores who always comment against posting on old threads yawwwwnnn), but for people searching on google re. similar issues, I was having hassle with not being able to edit the Evernote highlighting in Word (but not wanting to paste as 'text only'), and I only just discovered that in Word it is pasted as 'Shading' NOT 'Highlighting' and is perfectly editable.  In Word, on the “Home” tab, instead of the “Text Highlight Color” icon in the “Font” group, look for the “Shading” icon in the “Paragraph” group.  Hope this helps someone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1