Is it possible to use only desktop app without being connected to the web?

Is it possible to use Evernote app and store everything there, so the information stays only on my computer and Evernote corporation or any other ogranisation won't be able to read or use my notes?
Also if it's totally fine to do that how can I use the Web Clipper to store only on desktop app and not on the web. Is it possible to sync Desktop and Phone apps using End-to-end encryption via Nextcloud or Dropbox.

And all in all can I be sure that I will have privacy level of Evernote to be like Joplin?

• Level 5*
On 2/24/2019 at 8:42 AM, miro.marvel said:

Is it possible to use Evernote app and store everything there, so the information stays only on my computer

Hi.  Yes.  See Local Notebooks.  You will have to connect online to log in and create the account,  but you can limit what Evernote sees.  Web Clipper however clips to the server,  not to your local device.  You could use copy and paste instead.

and Evernote corporation or any other ogranisation won't be able to read or use my notes?

Er,  you're connected to the World Wide Web.  No-one can guarantee that your information is totally private.

Is it possible to sync Desktop and Phone apps using End-to-end encryption via Nextcloud or Dropbox.

No real clue but I'd guess not.

privacy level of Evernote to be like Joplin?

No idea what guarantees of privacy Joplin provide,  but I'm currently happy with Evernote.  But I do use local notebooks and keep some information in local files off the internet entirely.  I even have a few paper files! 

• Level 5*
On 2/24/2019 at 12:42 AM, miro.marvel said:

Also if it's totally fine to do that how can I use the Web Clipper to store only on desktop app

Web Clipper updates to the servers.  As per @gazumped, copy/paste, screenshots, ...

>>Is it possible to sync Desktop and Phone apps using End-to-end encryption via Nextcloud or Dropbox

No, Evernote syncs via their servers.

>>Is it possible to use Evernote app and store everything there, so the information stays only on my computer

As per @gazumped, Local Notebooks are not sync'd to the servers.  Make sure you back up your data.

• Level 5*

Note that if you use local notebooks exclusively you will lose some features. Evernote servers are what index file contents and do OCR for pdf files and images allowing you to search. 

Given your asks above, I don’t think Evernote is right for you. 

Perhaps notepad files via Dropbox or something similar?

18 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Yes.  See Local Notebooks.  You will have to connect online to log in and create the account,  but you can limit what Evernote sees.  Web Clipper however clips to the server,  not to your local device.  You could use copy and paste instead.

Thanks...looks like Evernote can be private, but it can't sync privately/securely with other devices.

Er,  you're connected to the World Wide Web.  No-one can guarantee that your information is totally private.

Yes but we can make it harder or at least not so easily to be accessed let's say via request to Evernote from goverment.

No idea what guarantees of privacy Joplin provide

https://www.privacytools.io/#notebook

Open-source, encrypted and made not to be tied with an organization. Made from a man who didn't like the new Evernote pricing model...

I want it because of being open-sorce and because I want to use Linux(I know I can use Evernote, but still...).

• Level 5*

The only way you will have a secure model that the government cannot access is if you use a tool that lets you generate your own keys. Evernote does not allow this for personal account. It might for business. I don't recall.

All of your data is encrypted at rest on the servers, but Evernote does have the keys. Any cloud service you use where you are encrypting data but not generating your own keys can be unlocked by the hosting company if necessary.

Archived