Separating Personal and Business Data

scoobybri

I am using Evernote mainly for data organization for a book that I am writing. There are several hundred notes (and growing) located in about a dozen different notebooks. I have over 100 tags that I use to make the notes searchable by different criteria. Evernote works great in this context. The problem is then using Evernote for personal use as well. Is there any way, using a single account, to completely segregate two completely separate types of information? I used to use OneNote and this was easily done my creating separate notebooks that you could switch between. ("Notebook" has completely different meanings in OneNote and Evernote. In OneNote, a notebook is a completely separate data file.) For example, in OneNote, I could create separate notebooks for business, school, and home notes and could easily switch between them which kept things like tags and types of information separate from each other. There does not seem to be any analogue in Evernote for this functionality. With hundreds of notes and, my main concern, hundreds of tags specific my book information, adding my personal notes into my current Evernote account seems to have the potential for a total mess of organization. Not to mention that searching across all notes would make it difficult to find since there will be book and personal information intermingled. Is there any way to completely segregate different sets of information with a single Evernote account. I have a premium account, but if I can't do this, I may have to go back to OneNote.

• Level 5*

Hi.  I have a mixed personal and business account too - with around 45,000 notes over several years - and it hasn't been a problem to have the two combined.  I find notes by searching,  using the advanced syntax including 'intitle:'  and 'tag:' so if I'm looking for personal,  that's what I find;  if I'm looking for my notes on project 4912,  then similar.  You might like to have a look in the Evernote Help site for tag / organisation / search related topics.  Here's a good place to start:  How to organize notebooks into stacks

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, scoobybri said:

The problem is then using Evernote for personal use as well. Is there any way, using a single account, to completely segregate two completely separate types of information?

Yes.  This is easily done with tags.  You could create tags "Personal" and "Business", and tag each Note accordingly.  A chief advantage of tags is that you can tag the same Note with both tags, whereas a Note can be in ONLY one Notebook.

I use Tags as Pseudo Notebooks (pNB) , and I have ".NB.Personal" and ".NB.Business", which works quite well.

• Level 5*
On 2/21/2019 at 2:16 PM, scoobybri said:

The problem is then using Evernote for personal use as well. Is there any way, using a single account, to completely segregate two completely separate types of information?

There's no "completely segregate" but you can add search parameters to segregate Personal and Business

You're already using notebooks; perhaps a Business Stack as per @gazumped, and search   stack:Business

As per @jMichaelTX, Business tags, and search   tag:Business 

• Level 5*
19 hours ago, scoobybri said:

Is there any way to completely segregate different sets of information with a single Evernote account.

If the notes are truly segregated, Stacks make it just a little easier to search, just select the stack.  If not truly segregated, tags are probably the better option.  To be clear, tags are not segregated by notebook with EN, unless you make it so.

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, scoobybri said:

Is there any way, using a single account, to completely segregate two completely separate types of information?

I have everything in one account, both business and home so in that sense they are not segregated, but I do organize them into two stacks, one for home and one for work.  I have a saved search for home only and then another for work only, so I can "segregate" that way.  I will then use tags to further subdivide.

• Level 5*

Not sure why a single account is a requirement, but to pose a different take: I just use separate accounts, one for personal (premium), and one for my job (basic). I share a a small number of notebooks between account, but the need for that is lessened now that I can have both accounts open on my home machine at the same time. Mainly I want to keep my personal stuff out of my business account, but I have a large notebook related to software development references that I keep in my personal account, but would use in any job. This way, if I were to leave my current job, I can make a whole new separate account for the next job and use that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

That's why I prefer to use Evernote as a personal app and other systems for work stuff. No offense to the creators of Evernote, it's good app, but there are a lot of other interesting apps that can be used for work ideas. For example, when I make schedules for my crew, I use this https://tracktime24.com/FeOnliatures/ne-Work-Schedule-Maker tool. Very simple and user-friendly. On the other hand, I would never use this tool for my personal needs. Because for this Evernote is the best. For me, of course.