Deleted An Entire Notebook!

pikov

Idea

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
34 minutes ago, pikov said:

Can you tell me how to  retrieve a note?

The screenshot is from my Mac49070484_ScreenShot2019-02-19at17_11_34.png.ab2b78bb2c1bd9c4ca2ccf468a7be03a.png

I selected the Trash icon in the sidebar
From the notelist, I selected the notes to restore
right-click > Restore Selected Notes

• Level 5

... and normally the waste bin is never emptied. The notes are just not „found“ by searches, and belong to no notebook any more . So recovery is possible even after quite a while.

The downside: If you want to make sure a note is entirely gone, you have to actively eliminate it for a second time from the bin. This can be done selectively, or for the whole content of the bin at once. Then recovery is impossible.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

... and normally the waste bin is never emptied. 

I think you may find varying opinions on that in this forum.  Some are sticklers for cleaning up, others just let them gather.  I do empty mine every so often.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

The notes are just not „found“ by searches

In Windows, at least for me, search does find notes in the trash which I've found useful.

• Level 5

About cleaning up, any strategy that serves ones needs or feelings is o.k. I personally have a reminder in my ToDo-list to clean up cloud spaces which repeats itself one month after being checked. Because each app seems to have its own preference on which cloud service to use, there are several to unclutter from time to time.

Just remember before cleaning up: No backup, no mercy ...

On search: When I pick a notebook, or a group like „all notes“, the bin is excluded from being searched (tried with Win10 and iOS).

When I pick the bin itself as „notebook“, then it is searched. And yes, this can be useful.

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

On search: When I pick a notebook, or a group like „all notes“, the bin is excluded from being searched (tried with Win10 and iOS).

Interesting.  I always start with an all notes search and it will find items in the trash.  I'm using Win 7 but I doubt that should matter.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, s2sailor said:

I always start with an all notes search and it will find items in the trash. 

That's a surprise.  For me (Mac and IOS), Trash is excluded from searches.

• Level 5

Are the notes among those posted as a search result ? 

In my Win-client the remark says (for example) : „Notes found in several notebooks and in the trash“. But it only shows the notes from the other notebooks listed below, excluding those that are in the Trash.

The notes in the trash are only listed when I do click on the word Trash. Then, only the matching notes inside of the Trash are shown.

And yes, I‘ve not found any option to modify the search strategy.

Archived