brampeirs

Native Markdown Support

Idea

On 10/1/2019 at 2:30 PM, Ewright0 said:

It's actually somewhat upsetting considering how long Evernote has been around and how many other competing apps support Markdown, that Evernote does not.

And yet, Evernote is a very successful application by most measures. Many, many people are able to get by without Markdown. And some folks use third-party tools like Marxico. As for competitors, it's a bit hit or miss. OneNote, probably the most visible and comparable competitor, doesn't support Markdown natively. Others do support Markdown, sure, but they can have other weaknesses that don't compare favorably to Evernote. Markdown is a killer feature for some folks, and a "WTF is Markdown anyways?" for others. In other words, one feature out of a number of possible features on which to base your choice of note keeper software (or whatever category Evernote is in).

Not only that, but there's no justifiable reason why Evernote does not, and in addition, no staff member has commented here yet for YEARS to help clear this up.

So the question here is what do you mean by adding Markdown? If you mean Markdownish shortcuts to produce specific formatting, Evernote has done some of that in various of its clients, and could do more, but that's only a one-way thing. If you mean full two-way Markdown support, then that's where things get tricky. Evernote stores all of its note content in ENML, an XHTML derivative (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), and adding Markdown support would necessitate changes to ENML to accommodate the new content type .. So are we talking about a Markdown specific note type? Or are we  talking about modes where either the original Markdown or the resulting formatting is shown? How is the Markdown stored? How is round-tripping ENML _> Markdown --> ENML accomplished? How easy are all/any of these? If it's not trivial (I don't know for sure, not being privy to the code, but that's my guess) then it's certainly then a matter of Evernote's internal prioritization process. Bottom line: it's an entirely justifiable decision for them to make.

That no staff member has discussed t for awhile isn't particularly meaningful.  They don't discuss in the forums all decisions that they make in general, and if their prioritization calculation hasn't changed, then there's no real reason to keep repeating themselves. And even if they do have it in the works, they are pretty gun-shy about pre-announcing features.

Very poor PR for Evernote, as well as a lost solution for money for them.

Dunno about PR, but the real question is how much money would it add to the bottom line vs how much would it cost to add it and how much they might lose by implementing something else. In other words, the usual calculations that development companies make all the time.

Ultimately, the decision to not support markdown is, sorry for the use of the word, STUPID. It just doesn't make sense.

Asking for Markdown support is a fair request, of course (and a popular one, too), but calling Evernote's decision "STUPID" doesn't seem to make sense, at least without further knowledge of what's really behind it..

On 10/18/2019 at 7:12 AM, jefito said:

If you mean full two-way Markdown support  ...  So are we talking about a Markdown specific note type?  

My take on the solution is

• Two-way markdown
    specific note types; enml and markdown
  • separate editor modules

>>How is the Markdown stored?

Currently, notes contain a content.enml component 
For markdown, a content.md component is required

Marxico tries to embed the markdown code within the enml/html code.  
It's tricky and messy

>>modes where either the original Markdown or the resulting formatting is shown?

I vote for Both
I use the Typora app on my Mac; the resulting format is shown.  
When editing, the specific element reverts to markdown code

I'd like this option for the enml/html code.  Currently I have to switch to a text editor to update the code

Hi - it would be great to have Markdown support in Evernote, similar to how it is implemented in Quip.  Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm paying for many years now.

I actually cannot believe that EN still seems to be thinking about implementing markdown or not.

People won't tell you, but they will just leave to somewhere else. 

Poor support for MS Office content is one thing, as I can imagine it is not easy to keep up to date with their changes.
But a minimalistic, widespread format as markdown should really be a no-brainer.

I also consider it as a very poor customer relationship behavior to not continuously inform the user base on plans. I see signs that further development/improvement is slowed down and it is not much invested into the product anymore. Just cash in and hoping existing users fear the migration efforts. That would be the beginning of the end. We've seen this behavior before with other tools...

Another few months, and I'm most probably gone.

1 hour ago, EffBee said:

Poor support for MS Office content is one thing

This should be posted as a separate request, but I'm curious about the "MS Office content" reference
I have no problem storing MS Office documents as attachments in my notes (along with Markdown files)

5 hours ago, eayllon1 said:

Yes, markdown shortcuts is exactly what I want.

I'm actually seeing some markdownish shortcuts in the Evernote editor    
They're not well received by the general user base; we see many "how do I turn this off" posts    
The original request is for native support, as in the markdown code would be preserved

The latest shortcuts in the web beta set heading styles

On 11/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, eayllon1 said:

I guess they're not considering how much customer retention they're losing for not having a core feature to many. That's probably more important than gaining new clients.

My guess is that they actually have a fair idea of what it's costing them, and also what it would cost (time/money) to implement, and they haven't been able to do it yet because of that. But we're both guessing here, aren't we?

On 11/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, eayllon1 said:

Yes, markdown shortcuts is exactly what I want. Nuclino (project management Wiki app) has that exact functionality, and possibly the best example I can think of. Formatting headings takes way too long for productive clean notes on Evernote. 

They already have some of this in at least the Windows client; adding more would be a lot easier than implementing a full Markdown round-tripping solution (which appears to be what other folks want), and -- providing you could also disable them -- not be bothersome to those who don't need Markdown.

On 1/19/2015 at 11:27 PM, brampeirs said:

The ability to use markdown native in the App.

YES, PLEASE. FOR CHRISTMAS 2019, PLEASE.

I think if Evernote is not going to support this standard, I have to take my attention to a product that does.
For the sake of transparency, what do the dev teams definf as the most difficult aspect of integrating
Markdown with Evernote. I've resisted subscribing to Evernote because it is not  robust enough to
commit all my time. My workflow needs to be smooth for it to be useful and economical for my time.

14 hours ago, Ken.I. said:

For the sake of transparency, what do the dev teams definf as the most difficult aspect of integrating
Markdown with Evernote.

I haven't seen any feedback from developers on this integration
I know the majority of users are unwilling to fund development for this product

I would also love to see markdown if y'all can figure out how to make it work well.  But... I think the reason it isn't implemented is fairly obvious: Markdown has 2 distinct modes, authoring (with markdown syntax) and viewing (with rendered styles). Notes are meant to be edited and read and changed and used as you go.  "Note taking" is not the same thing as "authoring", and writing Markdown is definitely a form of "authoring".

I'll be migrating by 1400 Notes to a nn app that supports markdown unless Evernote commit for include this ubiquitous feature in a forthcoming release. I don't see what the problem is: arrogance ,stubbornness, we know better than the market. This is how all apps die...

2 hours ago, Feliope Largo said:

app that supports markdown

My favourite markdown app is Typora, on a Mac

>>migrating by 1400 Notes

Evernote's base format is enml (basically html), but attachments can be any format
I'm not familiar with any converter services    
My approach for markdown notes is to use .md files, stored in Evernote as attachments

>> I don't see what the problem is

Neither do I.  I'm able to chose whichever editor is best for the job

• Thanks 1

@Feliope Largo thanks for posting your position. I am supporting the idea of including markdown into the EN editor as well.

Just one more thought: You write about the market, ignoring customers etc. Currently you are using EN on a free account. Thus you are no part of a market, because it is defined as exchanging value / money against goods / services. And you are no customer, for the same reason. You are a user, and have a voice here, that’s o.k. For me your vote would carry more weight if you would as well contribute to the cost of the development you desire.

5 years since the initial request has been posted and Evernote still hasn't supported lol.

I am going to switch to some other note applications. Can anyone kindly provide some suggestions? So far I just know Typora is a pretty nice and lightweight option.

Yes, please. The markdown (like) notes in Bear are amazing and would love to consolidate everything into Evernote but currently am using both.

On 1/4/2020 at 2:08 PM, Heidi Duan said:

5 years since the initial request has been posted and Evernote still hasn't supported lol.

I am going to switch to some other note applications. Can anyone kindly provide some suggestions? So far I just know Typora is a pretty nice and lightweight option.

Joplin is promising for a similar feature set to Evernote, with native Markdown.

On 1/4/2020 at 1:08 PM, Heidi Duan said:

Can anyone kindly provide some suggestions? So far I just know Typora is a pretty nice and lightweight option.

Typora is my choice for using markdown on a Mac   
I store the .md files in Evernote as note attachments

43 minutes ago, cpinegar said:

Joplin is promising for a similar feature set to Evernote, with native Markdown.

Evidently Joplin used Markdown as its native format. (https://joplinapp.org/#markdown).

Evernote does not (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), and that's the crux of the problem. Round-tripping from Evernote format to Markdown and back to Evernote is not trivial.

Not sure where Joplin lines up vis-a-vis feature set (or performance, or convenience, etc.), so no opinion there. If Markdown is critical for your use case, and 3rd-party tools like Marxico don't cut it for you, then you should probably use a tool that handles Markdown well. If that's Joplin, well then, there you go...

@jefito I get that ENML is completely different from MD and I understand why.  However, the EN devs could recognize some of the MD syntax and translate it.  It would be super convenient to be able to place text in triple quotes for code snippets and such.

It's 2020. Evernote is one of my favorite apps, but I can't use it for basic things due to its lack of Markdown. Please add Markdown support.

1 hour ago, Jim Bonds said:

@jefito I get that ENML is completely different from MD and I understand why.  However, the EN devs could recognize some of the MD syntax and translate it.  It would be super convenient to be able to place text in triple quotes for code snippets and such.

I don't know what post of mine you're responding to, but I certainly get that Markdown is an important feature for a fair number of Evernote users, and indeed, some Evernote clients (the Windows client anyways) do actually support use of some Markdown-ish syntax as a one-shot operation (e.g. I type '* ' and it adds a bullet point), and all of that's fine and should be added to other Evernote clients as well. My problem is that some folks expect more, like the ability to go back and forth between Markdown and Evernote formats (i.e. View as Markdown vs. View as Evernote), and that just doesn't seem feasible. These are two separate features, and a lot of folks are asking for the latter, as far as I can tell.

If you're asking for the former, more power to you. If you're asking for the latter, well, I have my doubts.

BTW, on Windows, Ctrl+Shift+L gives me a new code block (or creates one containing any selected text). It's not clear to me why the Markdown would be easier than that. Horses for course, I guess...

If you think markdown will only be used by developpers, businesses and professionals, think again.

Markdown or any markup is a very fast way to format things without the need to click a button or remember a shortcut!

See Bear for iOS / macOS. How fast is that?! Would have saved me a lot of time to apply formatting on the go when I was taking notes for school!

The main reason I do not use Bear is because it is Apple exclusive when I use Android or work with people using other platforms. Plus, I learned how to use Evernote so why would I change?

It is unbelievable that a note-taking app doesn't have a formatting on-the-go equivalent to markdown! Some system that helps you format your notes quickly and easily without spending 30% of your time formatting your notes!!!
If you do not want to integrate markdown, include a similar/equivalent system to make it as easy as a Bear writer at least.

If there is such system, I didn't find it and I would love to be proven wrong. :)

So far, I only found the auto-formatting:
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468-How-to-use-auto-formatting

Which does not include title size (e.g. H1, H2...) nor change the size of the font on-the-go.

21 hours ago, LynuSBell said:

If you think markdown will only be used by developpers, businesses and professionals, think again.
Markdown or any markup is a very fast way to format things without the need to click a button or remember a shortcut!

I don't know which post you're responding to.
No one is disputing that Markdown is a valuable tool for some users

>>It is unbelievable that a note-taking app doesn't have a formatting on-the-go equivalent to markdown!

Well believe it - there are many editors that don't support Markdown
It is unbelievable that of all the available editors, you choose to use one that doesn't support markdown
- My choice is Typora (Mac).  I store the .md files in Evernote as attachments

On 1/10/2020 at 7:18 AM, LynuSBell said:

The contra is that for some of us buttons and shortcuts are faster then remembering Markdown code.  Me being in that category.  Potato potahto I suppose.  I would prefer some  completeness and uniformity of format and formatting across platforms before adding any new stuff.  Like a table that column wraps on one device and not on the other, using default fonts in both cases.  No issue at all if EN adds Markdown, more power to those that want it.  I'd just like some consistency in the formatting and display with default fonts I control.    🤷‍♂️

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

I don't know which post you're responding to.
No one is disputing that Markdown is a valuable tool for some users

>>It is unbelievable that a note-taking app doesn't have a formatting on-the-go equivalent to markdown!

Well believe it - there are many editors that don't support Markdown
It is unbelievable that of all the available editors, you choose to use one that doesn't support markdown
- My choice is Typora (Mac).  I store the .md files in Evernote as attachments

But that's the thing. I don't want an editor. I don't want to code my notes. I just want the fast ability to format my notes as I write like I would write text.

7 hours ago, LynuSBell said:

I don't want to code my notes.

The above request is for native markdown support    
An example is that bold text is coded as **bold** and stored in the Evernote database as such
Currently, Evernote stores the text as <b>bold</b> (html), however we never see the code

The markdown support is certainly important. However, from my perspective it has two main features: the import of .md formatted files and the "on-the-go" edition.
The former has not been done, but it seems like an easy problem to solve. Translate, create the file and continue, should be straight forward. The latter is the complicated one.

Nevertheless, have you used Evernote lately?

I mean, the support for Markdown is partial, but it is there already. I checked it today and I was gladly surprised since this is a very useful feature. Just try it out!

(# + space) gives you the biggest header.
(## + space) gives you the second biggest.

There is also the auto-formatting that you can find here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468

You will say "cursive and bold is not supported!".
True, it is not supported yet, but in the meantime you can do (ctrl + b) and (ctrl + i). It works just fine and you probably are used to those shortcuts anyways.

I do expect the feature of fully supporting Markdown comes, but the effort that has been done in this is great comparing with the state of the product 5 years ago.

Be grateful and help them prioritise which Markdown formatting to support first. The whining attitude is helping no one.

I would really love this. Although I love Evernote I‘m thinking more often than ever to switch.

3 hours ago, creatorbri said:

This is ESSENTIAL. I'm already on the hunt for a good replacement tool that fully supports Markdown (if not even an extended flavor thereof).

I've mostly switched to https://boostnote.io/ -- it's under active development and has a great open source ecosystem (sources features with IssueHunt, etc.).

Just wanted to add my voice to the clamour for this feature. Existing users needn't be affected by it. You could have tabs where the default (unless changed in preferences) is to display the formatted view as at present. But another tab switches you to the markdown view. The way Enterprise Git Hub switches between markdown and preview mode for example.

On 1/12/2020 at 11:44 PM, Gabriel Rodrigues said:

I mean, the support for Markdown is partial, but it is there already. I checked it today and I was gladly surprised since this is a very useful feature. Just try it out!

(# + space) gives you the biggest header.
(## + space) gives you the second biggest.

In which version of Evernote is this working? Currently on Windows

# + space

does not create any header.

7 hours ago, Heinzel said:

In which version of Evernote is this working?

In the current web beta, for one. I don't know of any others but I don't have Mac or iOS access. Certainly not in Windows or Android at this time..

I just started using evernote to organize my home and work documents, and I'm more than a little sad to come here and see a 5 year log of people requesting support for markdown with little to no feedback from the company. Instead, I find this thread is full of rude and snide sneering at people who would like to use a commonplace markup language for quickly writing notes. It really makes a bad impression to a new user.

As for the feature, Markdown support is commonplace these days, and it shouldn't take 5 years to let your community know what your plans are with this feature. This thread is currently the 5th highest voted feature request on this forum and has been around for years. Maybe it's time to let your paying customers know whats going on with this feature that a large number of users would clearly love to have? Just a little hint as to whether we'll see it or not?

Like I said, I'm pretty new to evernote and I'm not *yet* invested. But seeing this thread leaves me concerned that I should try to find to something else before that happens (which I would hate -- I really like everything else about evernote).

Specifically, I'd like to just see a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files. The editor would simply be a plain-text editor that markdown is typed directly into. It doesn't need to be WYSIWYG or anything fancy to have the basic functionality, just a plain text editor with a markdown renderer for viewing.

While the current rich text editor provides a lot of formatting options, one thing missing is inline code markup. For example, the markdown string

The variable `foo` is a `double`.

would use code formatting for both "foo" and "double". I have not been able to find a way to do this with evernote, but it's a basic markdown feature that I sorely miss when typing notes into Evernote.

23 hours ago, Owllison said:

Instead, I find this thread is full of rude and snide sneering at people who would like to use a commonplace markup language for quickly writing notes.

It's a long thread, but I think you'll also find there are many rude and snide comments directed at Evernote from folks requesting Markdown, and on the other side, some respectful, even thoughtful discussion about why fully supporting Markdown in Evernote might not be so easy at it may seem. Can't recall any feedback from Evernote staff in this one, apart from @Shane D.'s pinned post; I'd have to review it, but as I say, it's a long thread, so I won't be doing it right away. By implication, Shane's post implies "not any time soon", and their current focus is elsewhere than adding brand new big features (see https://discussion.evernote.com/forum/306-behind-the-scenes-series/), but sure, it's always good to get direct guidance on what's on their radar. It's not always been their way, however.

Specifically, I'd like to just see a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files.

The traditional Evernote way to deal with files is as attachments. Evernote doesn't handle editing, but in some cases like PDF and image files, you get a preview inside the note, at least for desktop Evernote (I use Windows). I could see something similar for markdown files being useful: you could display the rendered version in Evernote in a  box in the note, scroll up down in it, a la PDF files, but in order to edit it, you'd need to invoke a separate editor. That way, Evernote doesn't need to do any translation back and forth between Markdown and Evernote's internal ENML format, the user can see the Markdown results inside an Evernote note, and the user gets to use their favorite Markdown editor to make changes.

While the current rich text editor provides a lot of formatting options, one thing missing is inline code markup.

This is separate from the Markdown thingy, but it would be useful. I do use the line-based code formatting a lot, but I could use the inline version as well.  About the closest I've come is just to  format the relevant code using a monospace typeface, and let it go at that (sometimes you get that from copy/paste. This is made easier in the Windows application where you can use the F4 shortcut key to reapply the last formatting you did to the current selection (a great tip from a fellow Evernoter that I saw recently). Doesn't work on Android or on the web (I'm using the current web beta).

On 2/11/2020 at 7:30 AM, Owllison said:

Specifically, I'd like to just see a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files. The editor would simply be a plain-text editor that markdown is typed directly into. It doesn't need to be WYSIWYG or anything fancy to have the basic functionality, just a plain text editor with a markdown renderer for viewing.

Evernote's editors currently support edit/display for enml files (basically html)

Markdown files can be stored as an note attachment file, however there is no rendering display
We have to use an external editor
- "a plain text editor" works well, I use the Textastic app on a Mac and iPad
- I also use the Typora app on a Mac

>>a markdown rendering mode for displaying markdown files

I'd like to see inline display for markdown files

There's a request posted at the top of the discussion1001540786_ScreenShot2020-02-12at7_31_37AM.png.33812325839d4bc3c27302aa55d62643.png
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Really want this feature by the way!!!!! At leaast let us choose which editor to chose when we creating a new note in evernote, for example using the markdown editor or the current evernote editor, that may help alot of us including students, reserchers and others!@!@@@@

I've clicked the upvote arrow! I'd just like to say that markdown support is probably one of the few features that I would consider switching to another note app-for. 

I basically just need nested folders, markdown + image support, search capability, and cross-platform support. That's not a super high-bar so there's likely another product out there which does all of this. 

1. If anyone knows of a product that does all those things, please let me know

2. If anyone could share their current Evernote-markdown support solution, let me know!

Thanks

On 2/23/2020 at 11:39 PM, Mr. Stick said:

I've clicked the upvote arrow! I'd just like to say that markdown support is probably one of the few features that I would consider switching to another note app-for. 

I basically just need nested folders, markdown + image support, search capability, and cross-platform support. That's not a super high-bar so there's likely another product out there which does all of this. 

1. If anyone knows of a product that does all those things, please let me know

2. If anyone could share their current Evernote-markdown support solution, let me know!

Thanks

Hi, I migrate to Joplin. It can import notes and notebooks from .enex files that can be created through Evernote client. Didn't know about nested folders because I didn't use such functionality.

It is cross platform with clients on win/mac/linux/android/iOS. I migrated to them from evernote because of markdown support

It's 2020 already! I really hope I could take coding notes in Evernote!

I would probably cancel my subscription if Markdown cannot be supported within this year. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, aaroncz said:

It's 2020 already! I really hope I could take coding notes in Evernote!

Amazing!! I take coding notes in Evernote all the time, no Markdown needed!!! Whee!!!

1 hour ago, aaroncz said:

I really hope I could take coding notes in Evernote!

Did you mean "code notes"   
Evernote notes are enml/html based; I can access the content.enml component for coding

I am canceling my paid subscription and moving to Bear because of the lack of markdown support in Evernote. Been a paying member for over 7 years. 

On 2/26/2020 at 11:35 AM, DTLow said:

Did you mean "code notes"   
Evernote notes are enml/html based; I can access the content.enml component for coding

I strongly believe most people could get my point when I say "coding notes" or "programming assignments"

There appear to be some markdown elements on the current web application! *

I am using Evernote Web Version 5.30.0 for Safari. It supports the use of hashtags (#) for headers, asterisks/pluses/minuses (*/+/-) for bullets, and numbers (1/2/3) for numbered bullets. Bolding, italics, and underlining is still controlled from the menu bar (or with a keyboard shortcut) exclusively.

Some might (correctly) say that this is not true markdown, but I think that it is a step in the right direction. It is easier for me to use ### rather than mouse over to the menu bar for header options. I have no doubt that Evernote will continue to use HTML files (with all the features/services they permit), but I am glad to see elements of markdown incorporated into the editor. Hashtags and asterisks are really fantastic for extemporaneous note creation, so thank you Evernote!

* Importantly, the rendering of the markdown is sequential. So, if a user types ### for a small header, then the ### disappears and the font for that line is set to small header. The hashtags are not hidden; they are removed. Essentially, all of the above commands are one-way signals for specific formatting instructions. This is why I say, "some markdown elements" rather than "markdown" in the first line.

(I've applied for the Beta Program, but I am not in it. To my knowledge. 5.30.0 is a public beta release.) 

You already support html. Markdown is simpler, leads to more predictable results as rendering is simpler. Markdown is a widely used among developers, but it's becoming more and more widespread as cloud work environments spreads. More and more people who works with various tools in Azure for example are writing technical documentation and analysis reports in Markdown since it's well supported, from full document trees to little comments boxes associated with an entry in the issue tracker for example. I discover Markdown support in so many places. So please Evernote, don't sit on your user base to do nothing. Markdown support would be a nice improvement to your discutable "code block" style. If you need help developing this, i'll be glad to give you a hand 🙂

2 hours ago, Sébastien Boudreau said:

You already support html. Markdown is simpler, leads to more predictable results as rendering is simpler.

Evernote's native note storage format is ENML Ihttps://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), so HTML-ish, but contains Evernote-specific elements..Anyway, round-tripping back and forth between Markdown and ENML is problematic. Converting Markdown to HTML (or ENML)? Pretty straightforward. Converting arbitrary HTML to Markdown? Not so straightforward. So what's your solution? I don't think that Evernote is going to change its internal format any time soon...

I love Evernote and but need markdown support.   I'll even up to a payed version solely for that feature. 

Not trying to be mean about it, but if there isn't any progress on this in the near future then I'm going to make the change to use Notion in place of Evernote.  

No markdown in 2020? Feels like Evernote stuck in 2012 or something... Originally I got to this page by first learning Evernote desktop options, found no way to switch to markdown, then I though... okay, this is nonsense, EN gotta support MD, right? So I googled, found this post... and, yeah, it's disappointing.

On 4/7/2020 at 11:04 PM, jefito said:

Evernote's native note storage format is ENML Ihttps://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php), so HTML-ish, but contains Evernote-specific elements..Anyway, round-tripping back and forth between Markdown and ENML is problematic. Converting Markdown to HTML (or ENML)? Pretty straightforward. Converting arbitrary HTML to Markdown? Not so straightforward. So what's your solution? I don't think that Evernote is going to change its internal format any time soon...

No need to convert HTML to MD, note either has to be in MD or HTML (-ish) markup. This will suffice people's needs. The only caveat of supporting MD is tables... people may want formatting of tables (auto-adjusting of columns widths), which shouldn't be a huge deal, tbh... other than that markdown is so common so no matter in which language (or languages) Evernote is written in, it should be quite easy to add.

PLEASE ADD MARKDOWN SUPPORT - WHATEVER FLAVOUR YOU WANT!

If markdown support is enabled i will become a paid user for sure.

As a developer i have had to look for other options waiting for this feature since i started using github. I tried out Marxico and Inkdrop which im paying  for still. But these are still,  complementary tools. Native support for MD in Evernote would just be heaven.  Nowadays i mostly use github wikis for the technical aspects of my notes and Inkdrop everytime I'm inspired to document my current level of understanding about some technical issue.  Inkdrop is a very close contender to Evernote for this purpose. 

Evernote should add markdown support soon. Ready to upgrade my subscription in case markdown's there. Marxico sucks when the size of the notes expands. I lost a lot of images in the notes.

On 2018-04-28 at 7:59 AM, ssxtrix said:

the reason people are still paying is probably because they have 1000+ notes like myself and it is a pain to migrate.

The software is free, no users are paying for it.
The majority of users subscribe to the Basic account, which is also free.

I have over 10,000 notes.  It's a 30 minute process to export my data.

>>why are you always defending this....

I'm not into "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts.  I'm more interested in posts on how to make this product work better for me.

2 hours ago, lpuerto said:

@DTLow I don't think this feature would be an incredible amount of work and a lot of people like Evernote and pay for it, and like to simplicity of markdown for formatting. 

What would be your estimate for the amount of work required; hours, $?

There is an existing 3rd party product available (Marxico)    Evernote could integrate that service into their product.

Its not a feature I use, or am willing to pay for ($16US yearly), but close to 400 users have indicated support

On 2017-01-24 at 2:04 AM, darkandlong said:

I use it more than Evernote now, mainly due to Evernote's crappy text editor.

Evernote's editor definitely has a limited featureset

If you need more extensive features, I'd also recommend using a different editor, storing in Evernote.  Any document file can be attached to a note

On 2016-11-16 at 1:57 PM, justincbeck said:

Yeah, I'm reaching the point where I might abandon Evernote in favor of something that DOES support markdown.

On 2016-11-18 at 6:29 AM, thejasonparker said:

I'm thinking the same. People have been asking for Markdown support for some time now and Evernote just simply ignore it or fob people off with 3rd party solutions that add extra work and effort. Very poor show.

If markdown support is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If purple highlighting is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If .... (this list could go on and on)

In addition to whining, you can add your support to the feature requests using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.  It will help indicate the request priorities

• Like 2