brampeirs

Native Markdown Support

Idea

On 11/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, eayllon1 said:

I guess they're not considering how much customer retention they're losing for not having a core feature to many. That's probably more important than gaining new clients.

My guess is that they actually have a fair idea of what it's costing them, and also what it would cost (time/money) to implement, and they haven't been able to do it yet because of that. But we're both guessing here, aren't we?

On 11/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, eayllon1 said:

Yes, markdown shortcuts is exactly what I want. Nuclino (project management Wiki app) has that exact functionality, and possibly the best example I can think of. Formatting headings takes way too long for productive clean notes on Evernote. 

They already have some of this in at least the Windows client; adding more would be a lot easier than implementing a full Markdown round-tripping solution (which appears to be what other folks want), and -- providing you could also disable them -- not be bothersome to those who don't need Markdown.

1 hour ago, Amtriorix said:

Do you speak for Evernote, because I report your attitude.

You're posting in a user discussion forum. 
You are a user; I'm a user.

Evernote employees pop in ocassionally.  They are clearly identified in the sidebar.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:08 AM, Amtriorix said:

Currently our team is using the editor 'Remarkable' in combo with cloud storage.

Remarkable is a Linux product, and there's editors available for other platforms.  I use Textastic on Mac and IOS.  Both of these editors support Markdown formattining, but I still prefer Evernote's native enml/html format.
I'm a fan of using external editors when I need features not available in the Evernote editor.

Evernote is my tool for cloud storage.

On 2018-04-28 at 7:59 AM, ssxtrix said:

the reason people are still paying is probably because they have 1000+ notes like myself and it is a pain to migrate.

The software is free, no users are paying for it.
The majority of users subscribe to the Basic account, which is also free.

I have over 10,000 notes.  It's a 30 minute process to export my data.

>>why are you always defending this....

I'm not into "Boohoo, Evernote's so bad" posts.  I'm more interested in posts on how to make this product work better for me.

2 hours ago, lpuerto said:

@DTLow I don't think this feature would be an incredible amount of work and a lot of people like Evernote and pay for it, and like to simplicity of markdown for formatting. 

What would be your estimate for the amount of work required; hours, $?

There is an existing 3rd party product available (Marxico)    Evernote could integrate that service into their product.

Its not a feature I use, or am willing to pay for ($16US yearly), but close to 400 users have indicated support

On 2017-01-24 at 2:04 AM, darkandlong said:

I use it more than Evernote now, mainly due to Evernote's crappy text editor.

Evernote's editor definitely has a limited featureset

If you need more extensive features, I'd also recommend using a different editor, storing in Evernote.  Any document file can be attached to a note

On 2016-11-16 at 1:57 PM, justincbeck said:

Yeah, I'm reaching the point where I might abandon Evernote in favor of something that DOES support markdown.

On 2016-11-18 at 6:29 AM, thejasonparker said:

I'm thinking the same. People have been asking for Markdown support for some time now and Evernote just simply ignore it or fob people off with 3rd party solutions that add extra work and effort. Very poor show.

If markdown support is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If purple highlighting is the most important feature for you, you should be looking at another product.
If .... (this list could go on and on)

In addition to whining, you can add your support to the feature requests using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion.  It will help indicate the request priorities

• Like 2