Security

serj G

I have several documents that I want to store in evernote ( i like the format and that I can add typed notes).

they are however confidential materials.  Is there any way to create notebooks that are not shared but stored only locally and remain encrypted?

serj

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, serj G said:

Is there any way to create notebooks that are not shared but stored only locally

Evernote Windows/Mac have a Local Notebook feature

>>remain encrypted

No encrypted notebook feature, but Evernote (Windows/Mac) has a text encryption feature.
I also use the native encryption in Word/Pages for documents.  These are stored in notes as attachments.

I use FileVault security on my Mac; my entire disk is encrypted

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, serj G said:

Is there any way to create notebooks that are not shared but stored only locally and remain encrypted?

To unpack this a bit:

• There is no way in Evernote to create encrypted notebooks at this time.
  • You can, however, create encrypted sections of notes, but that doesn't apply to attachments like documents.
  • As @DTLownotes, the desktop applications allow you to create local notebooks that contain notes that only ever reside on one machine (since they are never synced to the Evernote servers). So you cannot view these documents on any other device, and you are responsible for backing up notes in local backups, because they won't be on the Evernote serves.
  • You can certainly store encrypted notes in an Evernote note as attachments. You'll need to decrypt them yourself on whatever device you are using that the time.
57 minutes ago, jefito said:

To unpack this a bit:

• There is no way in Evernote to create encrypted notebooks at this time.
  • You can, however, create encrypted sections of notes, but that doesn't apply to attachments like documents.
  • As @DTLownotes, the desktop applications allow you to create local notebooks that contain notes that only ever reside on one machine (since they are never synced to the Evernote servers). So you cannot view these documents on any other device, and you are responsible for backing up notes in local backups, because they won't be on the Evernote serves.
  • You can certainly store encrypted notes in an Evernote note as attachments. You'll need to decrypt them yourself on whatever device you are using that the time.

Do you have a suggested method of encrypting scans/pictures of documents.   I considered using a database program like microsoft ACCESS as well, but I think Evernote has a better , simpler layout.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, serj G said:

Do you have a suggested method of encrypting scans/pictures of documents.

1971777863_ScreenShot2019-02-11at22_01_12.png.dd0fe04f75d2e2c0be143b41b47fae09.png

Unlike other formats, images don't have a native encryption feature
I embed the images in a pdf, then encrypt the pdf.

Additional benefits; pdfs can be multiple pages and displayed inline or as an attachment

>>I considered using a database program like microsoft ACCESS as well

I'm using a Mac, and Evernote's database is SQLite based; filename LocalNoteStore.sqlite
I use app DB Browser to access the database contents; tables, rows, columns, etc.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, serj G said:

Do you have a suggested method of encrypting scans/pictures of documents.   I considered using a database program like microsoft ACCESS as well, but I think Evernote has a better , simpler layout.

If I was really worried about such things, I'd probably use encrypted documents as attachments.

Archived