Web Clipper Functionality

Here we are in 2019 and the IOS web clipper still doesn’t support simplified clips. C’mon Evernote, web clipping is such a key part of using your product. When clipping in IOS, I almost always have to do it over again in Windows or spend time cleaning up the article.  Very frustrating.

• Level 5

My experience is similar. I agree that EN should improve the WebClipper for iOS - especially because for me (as for many others) the iPad is my primary browsing platform.

There exists a workaround, or better 2 of them, that can be combined:

1) Switch the website to reader-view. 

This is not always an option, it depends on the website. But if it is, the clipping is much more focused on content.

2) Create a pdf from the website via the „Share“-„Print“-„Create pdf“-Workflow:

• Hit share (Square with up arrow)
  • Select print - the print dialogue box will open, showing a preview
  • Put 2 fingers together right on the preview, and open them outwards => the preview opens to full screen, which shows a pdf that was created in this very moment. This works always with „print“, not only when trying to clip something to Evernote. One can feed other pdf-oriented Apps as well, like pdf Expert or GoodNotes.

Now hit share again, select Evernote, and the pdf is ready to be imported to EN, selecting notebook and tags

Hint: The pdf can be created from a standard website as well, using the „print“-option. Then it will contain clutter like ads etc. but it will still be better to handle than a directly clipped website with all the active elements, flowing layout etc.

The combination of both reader view + print to pdf will create the leanest results. These PDFs normally do not need any rework at all.

A negative aspect is there will always be a pdf attach to the note, instead of a direct view of the website. Not a big problem with a paid account, because there the PDFs are completely searchable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

No link, because it creates an autonomous document as a pdf-file.

Sometimes, this is nice, because links may get lost over time. But the pdf exists without reference to it‘s source. 

By the way, this is not an EN function, this is plain iOS and works with all sort of apps. Whenever you can print from an app, it is possible to create a pdf instead of a piece of paper.

Archived