See two notebooks side-by-side

How can I see two notebooks at once side-by-side?   I want to use my 2017 tax notebook as a checklist of documents that I need for the 2018 tax notebook.   I read that tabs can do this but I don't see a tab button in Evernote.

• Level 5*

How about two Table-of-Contents notes side by side1884791288_ScreenShot2019-02-09at15_44_24.thumb.png.6fbb3963937289ef653e2dfdf8f112b7.png

>>I read that tabs can do this 

Yes, you can open your notebooks as tabs; then view a tab as a window

>>I don't see a tab button in Evernote.

Note List Window    521441859_ScreenShot2019-02-09at20_11_05.png.f37aef22bc9472bff2399728eab2a97c.png

Note Window    1264749970_ScreenShot2019-02-09at20_05_53.png.621839986175ec4813a38d5bd0671274.png

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, chuckkahn said:

How can I see two notebooks at once side-by-side?   I want to use my 2017 tax notebook as a checklist of documents that I need for the 2018 tax notebook.   I read that tabs can do this but I don't see a tab button in Evernote.

Go to your first notebook and pick any note in that notebook and "Open Note in New Tab."  You should now see two tabs, one with the name of the first notebook and a second that says "All Notebook."  Click on the All Notebooks tab and then click on the 2nd notebook that you want.  You should now have two tabs, one for each notebook.  Is that what you are looking for?  They are not side-by-side but you can switch back and forth between the two tabs.

5 hours ago, chuckkahn said:

There's a fairly simple way to do it. I just did a video for you to watch, super short one. Just waiting for it to export and then I'll upload the link for you. I'm running High Sierra on the computer that I did it on, but it's the same for Mojave.

3 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

That video looks like two *notes* side-by-side, not two *notebooks*.  LIke if I wanted to check if "notebook b" has HuffingtonPost-v2 note in it like "notebook a" does, without toggling back and forth between the notebooks (or spaces as that video has).   Or to my situation, if my 2018 tax notebook has a T4 note the way the 2017 tax notebook does.  That way I can check which 2018 tax notes (or pdfs, because each note is usually a pdf or scan in my tax notebooks) are missing by comparing with the 2017 tax notebook.  "Oh, my 2017 tax notebook has a receipt from pair.com, I should go and get a receipt from pair.com for my 2018 tax notebook.  Etc, etc."   So the notes listed in last years's notebook become a scrollable checklist of what I need in this year's notebook, and having them side-bye-side would make the comparison easier to make than toggling between one and the other.  I'm over-explaining this now because my initial post seemed to totally miss the mark of communicating what I was looking for.  I said two "notebooks" in my initial post and I thought that would be clear, but maybe because everybody is using spaces now they've forgotten what a notebook is.

image.thumb.png.223b821638bd22ee60fd8b757547b35f.png

10 minutes ago, chuckkahn said:

That video looks like two *notes* side-by-side, not two *notebooks*.  LIke if I wanted to check if "notebook b" has HuffingtonPost-v2 note in it like "notebook a" does, without toggling back and forth between the notebooks (or spaces as that video has).   Or to my situation, if my 2018 tax notebook has a T4 note the way the 2017 tax notebook does.  That way I can check which 2018 tax notes (or pdfs, because each note is usually a pdf or scan in my tax notebooks) are missing by comparing with the 2017 tax notebook.  "Oh, my 2017 tax notebook has a receipt from pair.com, I should go and get a receipt from pair.com for my 2018 tax notebook.  Etc, etc."   So the notes listed in last years's notebook become a scrollable checklist of what I need in this year's notebook, and having them side-bye-side would make the comparison easier to make than toggling between one and the other.  I'm over-explaining this now because my initial post seemed to totally miss the mark of communicating what I was looking for.  I said two "notebooks" in my initial post and I thought that would be clear, but maybe because everybody is using spaces now they've forgotten what a notebook is.

image.thumb.png.223b821638bd22ee60fd8b757547b35f.png

That was my bad. I read it as note not notebook. Didn’t have my glasses on. You can do it with notebooks too. I do it all the time. I’ll do another video for you. It’s easier than explaining it. 

8 hours ago, Sayre Ambrosio said:

@chuckkahn Here's the link for doing it with two notebooks. You don't have to hide the sidebar, but when I have two notebooks open I tend to hide it to get more real estate out of the note list and main note window.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l3LOkiIH-kYxVURYNaAuNHCME4mI_2MX/view?usp=sharing

I don't see that tabs menu item in Version 7.2.2 (456839 App Store).

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, chuckkahn said:

I don't see that tabs menu item in Version 7.2.2 (456839 App Store).

Which OS version?  Tabs were added in Mac Sierra

Please post a screenshot of what you're seeing.

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Which OS version?  Tabs were added in Mac Sierra

El Capitan.     Because of the issue "Problems annotating in Sierra" on my MacBook Pro after upgrading to Sierra in 2016, I held back updating MacOS on my MacBook Air, for the sole reason of maintaining Apple Preview PDF editing features from Evernote.   So there you have it :  one feature in one app can hold back new OS adoption.   

Archived