Native Markdown Support

brampeirs

Idea

Dear Evernote, I really enjoy using your app, but for me, Markdown is no longer an option, it's a requirement. If you had offered Markdown as a premium feature, I would have happily bought a subscription. Instead, you decided not to listen to all of your users requesting it and I was forced to explore different apps. I found Bear and bought a subscription. Farewell Evernote, it's been real.

• Like 3

Yes - my #1 desired thing. 

It's weirdly disconcerting watching Evernote beta videos and seeing excited demos of an outdated, Wordpress-style formatting toolbar. Markdown is now the standard. Please please make it a priority. 

I just pasted in a markdown file and nothing was picked up still 🥵 How stupid was I to try again.

This open ticket for many multiple years is proof to long term users that the decision makers in the company do not care about adding what they consider niche features.

I still get the "deal" emails to sign up for pro, why would anyone do that?

Is anyone using a  tool that I can import all my Evernote stuff too and finally uninstall this software which has never lived up to it's potential.

On 7/23/2020 at 6:46 PM, boardtc said:

I just pasted in a markdown file and nothing was picked up still 🥵 How stupid was I to try again.

This open ticket for many multiple years is proof to long term users that the decision makers in the company do not care about adding what they consider niche features.

I still get the "deal" emails to sign up for pro, why would anyone do that?

Is anyone using a  tool that I can import all my Evernote stuff too and finally uninstall this software which has never lived up to it's potential.

I recommed Bear - it it has import from evernote and awesome markdown editor (but mobile app only for iphone).

Notion also has import and supports markdown.

Yesterday I was using my wife's computer and I happened to start using the Evernote Web Editor to jot down a couple of things. For a number of reasons, I have grown accustomed to write my notes using Markdown syntax... and I do that quite consistently in Evernote for Windows and a number of other writing tools.

As soon as I started writing, I had to stop and start testing.

Because it seems to me that Evernote developers, QA team, and possibly users that have been clamoring for Markdown support have completely misunderstood the purpose and the usefulness of Markdown syntax.

Note the emphasis on Markdown syntax.

Markdown is, first and foremost, a plain text formatting syntax. Refer to John Gruber's notes in his introduction to Markdown. Writing using Markdown syntax is NOT (and SHOULD NOT be) writing using a WYSIWYG editor.

Imagine my surprise when I used the symbol / syntax for Heading 1 (#) and saw the immediate transformation into a formatted "Large Header" (Evernote Web Editor terminology). Fine, I said to myself, I just have to "undo" twice to restore my Heading 1 (#) symbol and continue (bit of a nuisance, if you ask me). See here https://i.imgur.com/jzaRij1.gif.

And then, imagine my dismay when I realized that Markdown syntax instructions and/or actual RTF / HTML formatting are completely lost if I simply copy and paste into other text editing applications. See here https://i.imgur.com/rJJBYrS.gif

I won't elaborate further - other than to mention I notice how the actual Markdown implementation and/or support is partial, minimal... and incorrect in many cases...

The whole point of my post is: this Markdown implementation defeats the entire purpose of the markup language -- portability and platform independence come to mind.

I submit that the Editor (which I believe will be replicated into the desktop / mobile apps) should at least provide users with an option to enable / disable this supposed Markdown support.

And please, let's refrain from the usual chorus... using another editor to write using Markdown syntax and then store that document in Evernote... again defeats the whole idea of Markdown and - quite frankly - sounds a bit silly.

Ideas? Observations? Comments?

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, OldManGeorge said:

this Markdown implementation defeats the entire purpose of the markup language -- portability and platform independence come to mind

I merged your post with the ongoing Markdown discussion

This is not a Markdown implementation
This is a shortcut for heading styles when editing note contents

I can confirm this shortcut syntax is not preserved when the coding is converted to enml/html

>>I submit that the Editor (which I believe will be replicated into the desktop / mobile apps) should at least provide users with an option to enable / disable this supposed Markdown support.

Like this (screenshot from my Mac)1909440962_ScreenShot2020-07-27at10_50_29AM.png.22d0ce241631c1630017591d93abd24a.png

>>I have grown accustomed to write my notes using Markdown syntax... and I do that quite consistently in Evernote for Windows

Can you provide more details on how you're using Markdown syntax in Evernote for Windows

1 minute ago, DTLow said:

<<Can you provide more details on how you're using Markdown syntax in Evernote for Windows>>

Markdown syntax in Evernote or Windows Notepad or any other editor...well... it does not make a difference !  When I need to write using Markdown, this is how I normally compose text in Evernote for Windows... (I just use a different font here, for clarity)...

# This is Heading 1

## This is Heading 2

### This is Heading 3

* This is a bullet

- This is also a bullet

+ This is *another bullet in bold type*

etc.

What makes a difference is how Markdown is then rendered (translated into HTML and formatted via style sheets - CSS).

The whole point is the separation between content and presentation. I (and many developers / authors) write using Markdown syntax because we write content with basic formatting instructions (the task of rendering that content may or may not be my responsibility).

For example, the simple characters "# " have a specific meaning which is... "render the following words using the style defined for Heading 1". So the editor cannot and must not assume the responsibility of "translating" and formatting the text into a very specific typeface... 

If we interpret Markdown as an actual formatting instruction (refer to my original post)... then... what is the point? Might as well support shortcut keys for basic formatting - just as in Microsoft Word you'd use CTRL+ALT+1 to apply the Heading 1 format (which is defined as a Style). Wouldn't that be much easier and more user friendly?

That is why I am monumentally confused by the idea of (and initial implementation of) Markdown support in Evernote...

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Presentation is important to me - do you follow through with rendering your code?

DTLow:

The answer is - as expected - "it depends"..

• In many cases I do not even need to follow up with presentation. Take, for example, notes for my own consumption that one day, somehow, maybe they will see some sort of publication... 
  • In most cases, I do not need to follow up because I deliver the plain text Markdown to colleagues... which will transform into HTML via preferred libraries and present / publish using corporate CSS or ad-hoc CSS
  • In rare cases, if I need to quickly share something with a third party... I copy and paste into Visual Studio Code, render using the built-in renderer, and export to PDF. This is the case where Markdown Support and a built-in renderer would be nice to have in Evernote (but then again... is the implementation effort worth it...?)

Incidentally, I like Typora (for Windows, as you can guess). I have tested it and found it quite attractive and powerful. On the other hand, for my business & personal use... I fall back onto Visual Studio Code - which I use all day every day... 

Yes - we need a markdown!
I have naturally been a premium member for the last three (3) years and needed to change evernote to another app, so I need a markdown ...

The application that has been the best for so many years is losing its positions and is about to turn into a large corporation with many layers of bureaucracy ...

I don't understand why you can't hear your members?

• Like 2

I'll simply echo what a few others have said: I abandoned Evernote over a year ago largely due to its lack of Markdown support. There are a number of other note-taking apps out there that perform equally as good—if not better than—Evernote, including Bear for macOS, at a fraction of the subscription price of Evernote.

• Like 1

I see the new redesign is adopting some more markdown like features -- for instance, typing in text in `backticks` will create an inline code section.

But only if you type it in. Paste it in? You get the backticks, not the formatting. Copy and try to paste it out into a different editor? You lose both formatting and markup.

This really breaks a fundamental need for my notetaking. I want to draft up technical documents in evernote and then copy/paste them into eg. a github issue, gist, etc to share/publish them to my team. Without easy, copy-paste-level-simple import and export of markdown syntax, I will not find evernote's markdown to be sufficiently usable. 

I hope there are more features coming in the future, now that the redesign has been reimplemented. But you really, really need to communicate that to the users who have been supporting you through the rough years.

On 1/20/2015 at 7:27 AM, brampeirs said:

The ability to use markdown native in the App.

Unbelievable! Almost six years old thread/request. 

Now we have "beautiful" version 10 - full of critical bugs, and still no markdown support. How come?...

• Sad 1

There are basic markdown editing shortcuts on version 10... just got it on PC here.

You can do:

# heading 1
## heading 2
## heading 3
--- or === for a line
``` for a code block
`code goes here` for a code block
[] for a checklist
[x] for a checked list
[][][]x3 for a 3 x 3 table

Only caveat is that nothing is saved in markdown format as that's not what EN does or is and you can't export as markdown.

They are really just editing shortcuts based on markdown but very useful.

• Like 1

It's a shame. I am now looking to move to joplin as this feature is sadly lacking.

There is very few features evernote does better than the competition as they have caught up.

I would rather not waste my time and keep using evernote but am increasingly leaning to joplin as that software is improving rapidly and is open source

Chiming in on this as someone who has used Evernote for 10+ years, longtime subscriber who let theirs lapse, and now considering a switch. Markdown is the industry standard for technical note taking. Between Bear, Notion, Dropbox Paper there are so many other options that do this right. Please add proper markdown support soon.

• Like 2

Add Markdown support, please.

I am currently in active search of Evernote replacement, just because of this critical feature. However, migration is always a hassle - I would prefer to stay in the platform, but I (and probably other members of community) need some sign, that feature request even formalized somewhere.

Hope to reach someone from Evernote team, with our long-time request.

SIX years since the thread started and HUNDREDS of user requests and still no native Markdown support. Guys, you're losing user base... Don't you realize?

My strong vote for native markdown support here.

Do it, lack of markdown is the one thing that has me ditching Evernote for a few years and then coming back for a little while to see if it's been added, and is the only thing stopping me and probably a lot of others from biting the bullet on a permanent subscription.

My main use case is for creating documents on the go from scratch notes, without then having to reformat it in the tools or platforms my client uses. Almost everything supports Markdown in some form.

My gut feel is that the omission is intentional to make it more difficult to leave Evernote, but in this instance it's stopping people from adopting it in the first place.

Dear DT Low, the reason is simple:

Proprietary formats - like enex - make it more difficult to switch to an open and standardized format.

With regard to Evernote this is true in particular because it misses export and import functionality for such a widespread and highly valued format like Markdown.

Kind regards,

Peter

• Like 1

Here's a simple idea: Similar to "Insert Table" or "Insert Code Block", just give us a "Insert Markdown Block". We can then just write down whatever in the Markdown Block without affecting other part of the note. This seems a simple thing to implement, since it's not coupled with other part of the system. Can EN just deliver this simple feature that's been requested by so many users for so many years?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is ludicrous that after so many years and requests there is still no Markdown support.

Evernote: Could you please tell us a reason for your decision?

I left Evernote years ago because of this. It's ludicrous they still don't have.

• Level 5

Not doing things usually does not need a decision.

A decision is needed to do things ...

You will probably not get an answer to both questions here - this forum is user driven.

By the way, there is a hint of markdown in the v10 apps: Type # followed by a space, and the text will show as header 1, type ## plus space for a header 2, ### for header 3 format.

Here is some more:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468-Use-auto-formatting

• Level 5

This is the closest I’ve found. Because it is pre-v10, the 3 header levels # / ## / ### are not mentioned yet:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001758468

Because the silently build it into the editor, but did not announce it yet, I think they are still working on the feature and want to release it with some fanfare later.

16 hours ago, fuatu said:

I see that some of the markdown code is working and some of do not. 

Is there a document listing what is supported?

If you open the keyboard shortcuts (ctrl-/ or the keyboard icon at the bottom of the task bar) and then scroll down you will see the current list. It includes inline code which is another new feature in V10. My only minor criticism is that you have to look very hard ot see where you have to type all the characters and where they are alternatives, but I think it is mainly pretty obvious.

image.png.e2f201411d9fd7c6fb3186bf819a91b8.png

• Thanks 2

A question posted 6-7 years ago still tops the search result today. 

This itself means everything for Evernote team to really look into this feature request. 

Newer note taking porograms are emerging in the market (like **this** and like **that**). 

I did not turn my whole notes collection into another app is because of the historical notes I stored in Evernote. But newer users won't have this burden. 

So, please, do something to have this MD support **built** into Evernote. 

On 4/24/2021 at 1:08 PM, Grunt Futuk said:

Another vote for an option to:

• enter content using the full markdown syntax
  • RETAINING markdown syntax
  • exporting in markdown syntax

Long term subscriber here. Use markdown daily and exploring option for myself and my teams.

I've been an Evernote user for almost 10 years, and I saw this post for the first time back in 2017. 5 years later I'm glad to see some progress, but apparently it's not enough. The auto formatting feature in v10 feels good, but keyboard shortcut is not the same as native markdown experience. If the Chinese version of Evernote has implemented it, you can do it too. This is not a niche and geek-only feature. I can tell many users of Notion and Bear are more than happy to migrate their notes back to Evernote simply because of native markdown support, and Evernote is just overall better than its competitors. Reducing interoperability is not going to prevent users from leaving if they consider markdown as a deal-breaker.

• Like 1

I have been a subscriber since around 2012.  Evernote has some truly great features, but the text editor has consistently lagged behind the rest of the application in terms of usability and reliable desirable behavior (list-handling in particular is problematic).  It seems odd to me that a premium note-taking application would not consider editor functionality as the number one priority and essential feature to really get correct, but Evernote seems to be more focused on glitz and glamour.

I'm actively looking at alternatives that natively support markdown specifically due to shortcomings in the note editor.  Please implement native markdown support or understand that you do risk loss of long-term customers. Other products have more reliable and feature-rich note-taking capabilities, and they are catching up to Evernote in terms of its other less essential features.

It's been a while since I've done any serious writing in Evernote. After discovering slash commands in the likes of Slack, ClickUp, and now Discord, I was amazed to come back to Evernote and find that it doesn't have this functionality. I'm sad to let it go as I spent many years writing in this app, but now writing without slash commands and having to stop and click to change a color or header or whatever (or memorize all their app-specific hotkeys) feels so clunky and archaic. 

Would love to see slash commands implemented. Until then it looks like I'll be using Notion and Roam. 

/b = bulleted list

/col (don't even have to finish typing the whole word for it to bring up a list of colors to select from) to change color

/h1 /h2 /h3 etc to change headers. It's just so much smoother than using a mouse to click around all the time for those of us that like to add personality to our writing and use color coding as a way of organizing along with so many things. This is one of the things I loved about Evernote. But now that Notion has this along with slash commands, I don't see any benefit to Evernote when it comes to quickly putting some notes together.

Evernote does look prettier when it comes to UI compared to Notion, I have to admit that. It seems like adding slash commands is such low hanging fruit in terms of functionality no? Would love to see this added in. Until then, sadly will be canceling my subscription.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

We agree in the observation that a better markdown support would be good.

We disagree that your slash /  - way of writing things up would be the standard. I use iaWriter for Markup, one of the major apps for markdown, at least for Mac and iOS.

They use some commands the same way EN does, like hashtags # for the headers, 3 - for a horizontal line or 3 backticks for code.

They just use more commands, and some are more refined, like the possibility to add a programming language to the code block command.

So what you are asking for is not markdown, it is a specific branch of markdown, driven by your individual user experience with other apps. I don’t think if you ask the users in this thread we could agree on which markdown we want - and leave the devs (hypothetically) on their own what to implement.

Not clear who you are replying to. I didn't ask for slash - not part of markdown but a UI feature.

I think that there is a common enough core for markdown for the devs to be able to satisfy the requirement but I recognise one cannot satisfy all of the people all of the time. Academia seems to have embraced markdown well enough for sharing of technical papers (especially including Python and R code, as well as general content, in Jupyter Notebooks).

It seems most of the people on this post asking for markdown want it as a native format standard, preferably as an option over the long-standing format but otherwise (and also)  as an option for document attachments with full preview and edit support.

I recognise the challenge of having built a product on a base format, xhtml, and not wanting to support round-tripping. However, using markdown purely for rapid text entry (lightly supported on the web interface I believe) is possibly useful for some but I expect that would frustrate most experienced markdown users who generally want to be able to focus on rapid note content entry and edit rather than formatting. When I am in note taking mode, I don't want to take my fingers away from main keys to mess with control/command-somekey or menu clicks, it breaks my flow. Markdown is like (X)HTML rather than CSS in this regard.

I and the various teams I am in are not about to cancel our Evernote subscriptions. I value the product for its many features and have not yet found an alternative that fills my use cases despite the markdown frustration. I have looked and will continue to look though.

My experience of using the md file attachment approach, not having a good preview and having to use an alternative editor is not ideal. For me, it somewhat undermines the key note taking focus that I think Evernote has at its core and which is certainly central to be usage.

I have waited for this feature for years! 

please please please consider to let evernote support markdown(edit/import from/export to)!

It has been the top reason that I want to drop evernote (PS: I am paying user)

I agree.  I've been a paid user of Evernote for ten years (come this July) and the relatively recent integration of some of the Markdown idioms has been a huge improvement.  However, I'd really like to have full Markdown support.  I am CONSTANTLY using the Markdown idioms for headers and horizontal dividers and it is SO much faster than using the keyboard shortcuts.  I believe my productivity would be improved further if full Markdown was supported.

Secondly, while learning the Evernote app-specific keyboard shortcuts for formatting has improved my speed with the app, being able to use industry standard Markdown would be even better because I wouldn't have to think about what is the keyboard short cut for italics in Evernote versus the many other apps I'm using?  I'd prefer to just use the same shortcuts across as many apps as possible.

I think it is clear that we're in an era where it is no longer realistic for Evernote to be pursuing a place in people's workflows as the only Knowledge Management app people are using.  However, because it has unique and developed features other apps don't have, it has a deeply established place in many people's workflows.  So the more Evernote can leverage itself to play nice with workflows including other apps in people's lives (by doing things like adhering to industry standards for Markdown), the more relevant it will be and the more convenient it will be for people to use in a workflow including other, seemingly competing apps.  I think in that context, we'd see far fewer users threatening to give up on Evernote in favor of other apps.

4 hours ago, agsteele said:

However, I'm not sure that the first level suggested really adds anything.  In Windows I can type Ctrl+B and then the text is bold followed by Ctrl+B to turn it off.  Likewise Ctrl+I for italics and Ctrl+U for underline.  I'm not sure why the more standard markdown codes of ** _ or * would be more useful.  At least not on their own.

Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. ;) There wouldn't be ~700 votes for this feature (tied for second-most of unimplemented features and only about 50 votes behind the leader) if there wasn't significant interest.

There are other forums which support both markdown codes and the common shortcuts Ctrl/Cmd-B, and I (and many others) find it easier to type the star codes when I know as I write that I want to emphasize a particular word. When editing after the fact, I do as you probably do, and use my mouse to double-click on a word or highlight a longer passage and then Cmd-B or Cmd-I. But in free-flow writing it's faster and less error-prone to use markdown for styling individual words for emphasis.

Hey y'all,

It looks like a lot of you are interested in Markdown support, so I've moved this thread to our product feedback forum so y'all can vote on this. You can vote by clicking the arrows at the top of the thread, to the left of the thread title. Happy voting!

Vote.jpg

• Like 3

I use Evernote quite a bit, but am repeatedly let down by its lack of markdown support and nested lists.
In regards to MarkDown support, this has led to hours of me wasting time looking for alternative solutions and configuring third party solutions.
Although I can understand some trepidation with switching from rich text to markdown (despite the repeated requests on this forum) , what I can't understand is the lack of nested lists. Nested lists are supported in all major word processors, and are used in a broad range of note taking methods. I can't for the life of me understand why this feature request has been ignored for touching on 7 years.

Please if you do implement Markdown support keep the plain text aspect that we love of markdown. That is please don't convert the typed text, just the styling of them. Example

Markdown:

# Awesome Cool Title
## Snappy subtitle

I like making short lists in Evernote

* Because it syncs
* Because it's quick
* Because I can

Output should be

# Awesome Cool Title
## Snappy subtitle

* Because it syncs
   * Because it's quick
   * Because I can

It should not be this. Because it makes it very difficult to edit it again, if I want to change the title then it no longer has the #'s which I can increase or decrease the number. This is just a formatting shortcut, it does not preserve the markdown, and the point of markdown is to be readable plain text markup. 

Awesome Cool Title
Snappy subtitle

• Because it syncs
  • Because it's quick
  • Because I can

Look at the way Marxico does this, it's beautiful to use, just a shame it's missing the rest of Evernote and organisation in the same window. Marxico also locks the page for editing and ruins any flow you may have, which is a big shame. 

I have tried to abandon evernote in favor of Quiver, just because it has markdown. I've transitioned just about all of my professional work over to it in fact, but the lack of mobile / windows syncing is the major factor preventing me from switching entirely.

Anyone know _why_ Evernote is dragging their feet so much on markdown? It's not a super complicated spec. Hell, even a kludge like the Markdown Here plugin that does a quick processing step on your notes and renders your Markdown to evernote compatible html would be an advantage over what we currently have.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, jswanson said:

Anyone know _why_ Evernote is dragging their feet so much on markdown?

I'm just assuming its a question of priorities.
You can add your support using the voting buttons in the upper left corner of the discussion

fwiw  There are many requests for new features, some of them also indicating how easy it would be to implement

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, jswanson said:

Anyone know _why_ Evernote is dragging their feet so much on markdown? It's not a super complicated spec. Hell, even a kludge like the Markdown Here plugin that does a quick processing step on your notes and renders your Markdown to evernote compatible html would be an advantage over what we currently have.

At a guess, full Markdown support would be a pain: round-tripping between Markdown and HTML (more or less Evernote's internal format) is not well-defined. Providing a way to input via Markdown is probably helpful, but rendering a page that comes from an arbitrary web clipping into would probably not be a great user experience (I've seen this in action in the Atlassian Wiki product; drove me absolutely crazy).

Note that Evernote have never said anything about its feasibility, or even whether they'll ever provide it. They rarely do. If it's critical for your use case, then it's pretty much a no-go; always choose the tools that exist, not the ones that you want to exist.

On 08/12/2016 at 8:55 AM, jefito said:

At a guess, full Markdown support would be a pain: round-tripping between Markdown and HTML (more or less Evernote's internal format) is not well-defined. Providing a way to input via Markdown is probably helpful, but rendering a page that comes from an arbitrary web clipping into would probably not be a great user experience (I've seen this in action in the Atlassian Wiki product; drove me absolutely crazy)

But that would be still easier and nicer than how ti is right now, wouldn't it?

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, DDO said:

But that would be still easier and nicer than how ti is right now, wouldn't it?

Maybe, but that's not what the original poster asked for as far as I can tell, nor what I replied to. 

On 16/01/2017 at 11:31 AM, jefito said:

Maybe, but that's not what the original poster asked for as far as I can tell, nor what I replied to. 

There are ways to make it painless. Check out Marxico or Bear Notes.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, DDO said:

Marxico

As far as I can tell, Marxico doesn't really support round-tripping MarkDown <--> Evernote. Once it's in Evernote, and you make changes there, then getting Markdown back can be problematic, since Evernote can use pretty full HTML. If it works for you, then that's great (or or if I'm not understanding their web site then please correct me), but let's be careful about turning this into something that it's not.

15 hours ago, jefito said:

As far as I can tell, Marxico doesn't really support round-tripping MarkDown <--> Evernote. Once it's in Evernote, and you make changes there, then getting Markdown back can be problematic, since Evernote can use pretty full HTML. If it works for you, then that's great (or or if I'm not understanding their web site then please correct me), but let's be careful about turning this into something that it's not.

Round trip is supported. The catch is, however, that one can not edit Marxico notes in Evernote. They are read only. But they are marked as Marxico, and you can open them up and edit in either web based marxico or in the standalone app.

Check yourself - trial is 10 days. Love it - Flowcharts, Seq diagrams LaTeX - the whole nine yards of goodies.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Doff said:

Round trip is supported.

This puzzles me. Round-tripping to me means that I can start a note in Marxico, edit in Evernote, and be able to continue in Marxico again and be able to pick up in Evernote, all without losing content. According to the Marxico site:

Quick Editing

Note saved by Marxico in Evernote would have a red ribbon button on the top-right corner. Click it and it would bring you back to Marxico to edit the note.

Note: Currently Marxico is unable to detect and merge any modifications in Evernote by user. Please go back to Marxico to edit.

If this is true, then round-tripping is not supported by Marxico. Once you add content to Evernote using Marxico, you need to always then use Marxico to edit that content. Which is swell, except that I edit notes on my mobile devices as well.

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-24 at 2:04 AM, darkandlong said:

I use it more than Evernote now, mainly due to Evernote's crappy text editor.

Evernote's editor definitely has a limited featureset

If you need more extensive features, I'd also recommend using a different editor, storing in Evernote.  Any document file can be attached to a note

On 25/01/2017 at 0:11 AM, DTLow said:

Evernote's editor definitely has a limited featureset

If you need more extensive features, I'd also recommend using a different editor, but within Evernote.  Any document file can be attached to a note

Indeed.

Evernote should buy out Marxico and make it Advanced Mode editor.

That will not only smash the competition (BearNotes, etc), but would also make a viable case for "Evernote as the Wiki". I would definitely consider switching my team to Evernote Wiki (with markdown) full on.

On 26/01/2017 at 6:18 PM, Matt Corr said:

Please add Markdown support! ALso syntax highlighting for code blocks!

Actually yes. I believe modern Markdown editors do support syntax highlighting in form of 

```xml
<hello>world</hello>
```

It is ironic that Evernote _FORUM_ does support syntax highlighting and advanced editing features such as code blocks, but the product that pays for the forum - does not.

• Like 1
On 1/26/2017 at 10:01 PM, Doff said:

It is ironic that Evernote _FORUM_ does support syntax highlighting and advanced editing features such as code blocks, but the product that pays for the forum - does not.

This is exactly it. Most of the time when I type anywhere else I have access to these features, but with Evernote there is none of that. They just don't seem to be interested in improving the editor. Marxico is fine, but it's not well integrated and it's an additional cost for something that should have been included a long time ago. I honestly can't remember the last useful feature added to Evernote.

• Like 3

I really can't believe how many years have passed without supporting Markdown.

For what it is worth, I am now using Atom.io with the Ever Notedown package. Although it is a little wonky at times, it is the best I have seen so far.

• Like 1

Using Marxico still. Searching for Evernote replacement. As soon as I find one - I am off (well, unless Evernote comes around with Markdown and LaTeX support).

P.S. Checked out Laverna App - great promise! If they pull it off, that would be a killing app for Enterprise use.

Would love to see this. I used to use Marxico, but I don't really want to pay for it as well (tight wallet). I'm a massive fan of markdown, and would love to see this.

I actually use Drafts 4 to create notes on my iPad, and it has options to export the markdown render to EN. It's great, and I love it. Bullet points come out right, todos come out right, it just works.

However, EN for Windows becomes a problem. Whilst my iPad is my daily workhorse, I find that I use EN for Windows quite a bit still. Markdown is a must have.

• Like 1

This feature is crucial. I almost quit Evernote before my renewal yesterday, but decided to stick around for one more year to see if native Markdown support comes to fruition.

Marxico and other workaround tools are pretty incredible, but there's something about native integration that makes for a better workflow.

Thanks!

• Like 1